The Gripmas Carol

climber511

Two weeks to get your entry forms in - please don't wait until the very last minute!

This is one of the prizes for the Gripmas Carol this year - pretty sweet!

• Dan Bell coaching. Dan is a top level Olympic Lifting coach and is one of the coaches who taught me the sport. He has generously provided the following : Three months online coaching to the winner of this prize. That would include programming, video critiques, and a live Facetime or Skype session every two weeks.
  • I just hope someone actually interested in learning the lifts wins this and takes advantage of it – this is a nice prize.
  • Like 2

Dan just emailed me and offered to do a short Olympic lifting clinic after the contest - let me know please if there is any interest in having this. I know it's a grip contest but this is a pretty cool opportunity if you find it interesting and of valuable. If you are coming please give me some feedback on interest - I don't want to have him come and no one be interested.

• Like 1

Dan just emailed me and offered to do a short Olympic lifting clinic after the contest - let me know please if there is any interest in having this. I know it's a grip contest but this is a pretty cool opportunity if you find it interesting and of valuable. If you are coming please give me some feedback on interest - I don't want to have him come and no one be interested.

absolutely interested in this

Chris,

I am looking at my schedule to see if I can come up there to get my ass handed to me by everyone! Waiting on some job scheduling things to solidify so if work out of town means paying the bills, I will have to take that offer up. If not I will get info to you in the next week or so.

• Like 1

Chris,

I am looking at my schedule to see if I can come up there to get my ass handed to me by everyone! Waiting on some job scheduling things to solidify so if work out of town means paying the bills, I will have to take that offer up. If not I will get info to you in the next week or so.

Fingers crossed that you can make it!

Chris, I plan on making it out but won't be competing this year. No vacation days left for the year and no one to work for me this time. Im not about to try to do what I did at King Kong... competing while being up for 30+ hours before the contest with an hour sleep. This sucks but I hope to be there to see history being made and to cheer all the guys on. Good luck to you all in your training !!

Chris, I plan on making it out but won't be competing this year. No vacation days left for the year and no one to work for me this time. Im not about to try to do what I did at King Kong... competing while being up for 30+ hours before the contest with an hour sleep. This sucks but I hope to be there to see history being made and to cheer all the guys on. Good luck to you all in your training !!

Kody - sorry to hear that you can't compete. Glad you are might be coming anyway!

My status

Silver Bullet - saying that I suck at this is being generous :). Very Generous.

Euro - coming along - I'm hopeful of a PR. Overall pinching is doing well.

Axle - for some reason I am really struggling with all my fat bar lifts - things like Gracie that have always been easy even for reps are hit and miss right now - not sure what's up?

Medley - I started working out the weights to use etc today - added some here - took some off there - I think it's going to be a good one this year. Right now I'm playing with about 40 items but that will get cut down some.

Josh Henze is now in.

• Like 1

Gripmas Competitors Darren Shallman 74 Bob Sundin 83 Chris Rice 93 Luke Raymond 93 Andrew Duriant 105 Jake Sahlaney 105 Andrew Pantke 105 Brent Barbe 105 Josh Henze 105 Jedd Johnson 120 Jason Otto 120 Chris Andrade 120+ Amber Edwards 84 Female

This is what I have as of today - I have either 4 or 5 more that say they are coming and the checks in the mail so to speak. So it looks like a real nice crowd (and strong too).

Edited by climber511

As a competitor

• Please don’t bring cans of pop or energy drinks etc – bring bottles where you can keep the lid on it so when someone kicks it across the floor it doesn’t go everywhere. Cleaning Mountain Dew out of a textured rubber floor sucks for example.
  • Say thank you to all the sponsors – take a minute and email them when you get home – tell them how you enjoy grip and appreciate what they do for us.
  • Make a list of what all you brought, and then check it before you leave – I have to send back things every time that people have forgotten (clothes, phones etc) – at my expense.
  • A few days after the comp send the promoter an email etc and give feedback on what you liked, didn’t like etc about the events and the contest in general – be honest and give helpful criticism - it helps us do a better event the next time.
  • Like 1

Gripmas Sponsors

• Dan Bell coaching. Dan is a top level Olympic Lifting coach and is one of the coaches who taught me the sport. He has generously provided the following : Three months online coaching to the winner of this prize. That would include programming, video critiques, and a live Facetime or Skype session every two weeks.I just hope someone actually interested in learning the Olympic lifts wins this and takes advantage of it – this is a nice one.
  • IronMind (Randall Strossen)
  • Cannon Power Works
  • Andrew Durniant
  • Diesel Crew (Jedd Johnson)
  • Yol Bosun Gym (Chris Rice) – various items I have made for grip training.
  • The Spot Athletics (JL Holdsworth).

Gripmas Competitors Darren Shallman 74 Bob Sundin 83 Chris Rice 93 Luke Raymond 93 Andrew Duriant 105 Jake Sahlaney 105 Andrew Pantke 105 Brent Barbe 105 Josh Henze 105 Jedd Johnson 120 Jason Otto 120 Chris Andrade 120+ Amber Edwards 84 Female

This is what I have as of today - I have either 4 or 5 more that say they are coming and the checks in the mail so to speak. So it looks like a real nice crowd (and strong too).

I will be in 120k class if it makes any difference

I will be in 120k class if it makes any difference

Changed it - thanks!

I forgot to list Farmstrength under sponsors!

I'm very happy to say the "nicest guy in grip" as well as one of the strongest is coming to Gripmas. Dave Thornton

• Like 2

My Gripmas Training

My normal training doesn’t include “grip” as related to competition lifts very often. I climb quite a bit and do hangboard etc once in a while and extensors and rotations regularly. With my upcoming comp – I am doing what I usually do and started event type training a couple weeks ago – this should give me about 5 total weeks of grip work before the meet. I will continue this until one week out and then rest. As I have gotten older my ability to recover continues to decline – so more rest between sessions is needed if I go any kind of hard – I started at a contest lift workout every 3rd day and am now at one every 4th day (this does generally not include the Medley in its entirety. Today was my “comp” day – where I went through each event like it was a meet except more warmup lifts. So Silver bullet – then Euro – Axle – and Medley. On the Medley I kept adding weight on each item until failure (except fixed weight ones like Blob etc). I spent about 30 minutes with this alone working through about 40 items in a load and go fashion. It’s certainly not a workout you’d want to do very often but it might be the best way I can think of to check if your training is working to develop an all-around strong hand and forearm with no weak areas. It shows any weaknesses real quickly.

Hey there, Chris. A couple questions.

Was the Medley announced yet (meaning challenges within it)?

Did Eli send you his form and entry?