Racing Towards The Red Nail, Who Will Be First?

Jared Goguen

Dang man, that's a lot of steel!

Thanks, I got to do something with them.

Today was a good day, I was feeling strong... Not strong enough.

521pG9L.jpg

I've been feeling under the weather, not sleeping much, and smashed my left palm with a big magnet. Had a crappy bending session today that I chalk up to those things.

I've been feeling under the weather, not sleeping much, and smashed my left palm with a big magnet. Had a crappy bending session today that I chalk up to those things.

These things happen. Who hasn't had a run in with a large magnet?

Two large rare-earth magnet that both produce about 125lbs of force snapped together in the palm of my hand pinching the meaty portion below the thumb (sorry don't know the name for it) that created a big bruise and ripped some flesh off when I yanked them off as fast as I could. Those (bad word filter)ing things are dangerous.

Two large rare-earth magnet that both produce about 125lbs of force snapped together in the palm of my hand pinching the meaty portion below the thumb (sorry don't know the name for it) that created a big bruise and ripped some flesh off when I yanked them off as fast as I could. Those (bad word filter)ing things are dangerous.

Yeah man, I did some research with those magnets, and they can really hurt. The big 1" thick by 3" cylinders can break bones.

• Like 1

Yeah man, I did some research with those magnets, and they can really hurt. The big 1" thick by 3" cylinders can break bones.

The reason I have these ones would be cause the person that gave them to me fractured a bone in there hand with them. If anyone doesn't really know what we are talking about watch this, the magnet fields these produce are insane. I stuck one on my anvil to quite it down and its so strong I can't remove it now.

I have been having one bad bending session after the next which is rather disappointing. I feel like I was making some good progress and now I have slid back some even.

How far back have you gone with bending mate?

I was kinking I-drill rods, a little bit more each time and now i'm struggling with H-drill rods.

I was kinking I-drill rods, a little bit more each time and now i'm struggling with H-drill rods.

You have any cald steel left, it may be you first encounter with a hard batch of drill rod, it was a pain for me thats why i dont really bend drill rod anymore.

A plateau buster for me was heavy bench press doing only a few sets and only 1-3 reps not enough to ache the next day and then try bend the next day.

Or do volume with the G rod and attempt a H at the end of the workout with all you got. Then rest and eat lots.

Hope my personal experience in the matter helps you!

You should rest, eat like a maniac (good food of course) and do some contra-specifics. Youll be right back and then some.

You have any cald steel left, it may be you first encounter with a hard batch of drill rod, it was a pain for me thats why i dont really bend drill rod anymore.

I guess this stuff is different then last stuff I ordered a few months ago. What are you bending?

A plateau buster for me was heavy bench press doing only a few sets and only 1-3 reps not enough to ache the next day and then try bend the next day.

Or do volume with the G rod and attempt a H at the end of the workout with all you got. Then rest and eat lots.

Hope my personal experience in the matter helps you!

Thanks!

• Like 1

Don't let it get ya Jared.

It got me before and I quit going after the Red cert.< I wish I stayed with it.

I bent 3-4 Reds in imp's , 1 done under cert conditions.

Then one day I started on a new batch of Reds and fought hard just to manage a wooble. After I ran up to the minute mark and realized it wasn't happening I really got upset about it.( especially after bending one just a few days prior under cert conditions)

Was it just a bad day? Was it a slightly harder batch of steel?

Just keep at it and they will fall, your getting stronger even when you don't feel it....

I honestly feel I needed more work with easier bars and jumped the gun too soon .

Edited by David Mitti

I generally bend either 1018 & 12l14 crs and 303 or 304 stainless squares and such, the occasional bolt (theyre usualy all over the place). The most difficult thing is finding steel thats consistently challenging enough but not a heart attck in IMP's. It can be quite frustrating at times.

I have been having one bad bending session after the next which is rather disappointing. I feel like I was making some good progress and now I have slid back some even.

I had a pretty rough session the other day, too. Figured, oh I'll just keep it light today and knock out a few G's. What felt like an eternity and my first G of the session down, I felt like I had never bent before.

But I know that won't stop you! Or maybe this race needs a prize, or at the very least an awesome title to take. Strongest Jared, or something along those lines.

• Like 1

I had a pretty rough session the other day, too. Figured, oh I'll just keep it light today and knock out a few G's. What felt like an eternity and my first G of the session down, I felt like I had never bent before.

But I know that won't stop you! Or maybe this race needs a prize, or at the very least an awesome title to take. Strongest Jared, or something along those lines.

Hahaha racing for the title.

Stop, just stop. Here's what you do if I was you. I would take a mental minute. You're psyching yourself out. It's all in your head. So try this, do nothing. Step away from the steel and any thoughts of it for a few days to a week. Just eat and relax. Come back fresh with a "kill it" mindset.

• Like 1

Stop, just stop. Here's what you do if I was you. I would take a mental minute. You're psyching yourself out. It's all in your head. So try this, do nothing. Step away from the steel and any thoughts of it for a few days to a week. Just eat and relax. Come back fresh with a "kill it" mindset.

As always thanks for the good advice EJ.

• Like 1

Stepped away for bit from the bending, good advise.

Came back to it today pretty excited to get back at it but I played it safe and only bent a few F-rods... I could still feel the hand injury just a bit so ill give it more time.

Got my first bending session in 2 weeks in yesterday. I always trust what EJ has to say, but he couldn't be more right about the whole 'take a break and come back with the attitude of destruction.'

I started off with a Gx7" and it might as well have been a piece of cooked pasta. Honestly, I think it started to bend before I even got set for the kink. Effort felt like a 4/10. The next 2 G's fell just the same, then I started on an Hx7". This was a little more difficult, but I really started to psych myself out, thinking way too much about my position and getting my force applied correctly, and forgot to just bend it! Once I got back into this mindset, it was over. The crush was a little tough, but whatever, I think I just let it cool too much.

Onto the exciting finish, my old kinked Ix7" that has been laughing at me for weeks. Well now I'm the one laughing! Took it from ~165 deg to ~80 deg, and just couldn't crush anymore. My hands let up first from the pain, but I also started to feel some stress in my core and obliques, and am not trying to screw around with a complicated injury like that. I think I'll give the I size another few weeks before I destroy it.

My full report will be up eventually in my log, but until then, enjoy the below (or whatever direction it is in) photo of the pansy pieces of steel that fell to my awesome power, as well as the super strong and amazing piece of steel that has YET to fall to my awesome power.

post-23730-0-73618000-1420753330_thumb.p

• Like 1