Nail Knotting

hogking18

Came across a guy named Suhozil on Facebook who is tying nails into knots?

As a novice bender I was wondering why this hasnt been brought up on the board or if it has I missed it.

Is this not as impressive as it seems to me? Are the russian nails weaker? Has the man been discredited somehow?

Would love to hear the thoughts of the experinced benders about this style or technique of bending.Thank You

Nail knotting, twisting and scrolling has been going on for a long time. It's a fun and impressive feat for mostt. But for me since Ive bent so much stuff and know how relatively weak steel needs to be to tie in a knot im not as impressed as most. What's impressive to me is scrolling a 3/8" nail. That takes a lot of strength, time and dedication. Take a look at the Swedish guy David wigren, he has done some of the most impressive 3/8 nail scrolls the world has ever seen.

• Like 5

^^This and search the forum many members did this already

A Russian gent that came to visit one night at our training place only knowing one word of self identification" breeze" did amazing things.Breeze is a lifelong friend ,wrestler , and accomplished lifter so we knew his creds were ok. Holdout to side one pinky and , pinky snatch with 88lb. Kettlebell. He pounded spikes in board and through frying pans with his bare fist and palm. With hands looking like an ancient baseball mitts leather he tied nails into complex bundles as we just cringed watching. He was very pleasant, so willing to please ,and as strong as a real Russian bear. I still have the nails and boards which I think Joe Musselwhite has shared pictures of on his Facebook. I later found out he held numerous records in Russia for special feats done and was considered a hero of strength.

Nail scrolling should be considered not as a strength feat performance, but as a serious tool for wrist reinforcing, ulnar and radial deviators. Scrolling nails is much bigger amount of movement, than just bending to 40-90 degrees as it is in wrist bending styles like DU and reverse. It is very effictive assistance exercise for big steel bending and for levering events in gripsport.

Edited by Ivan Beritashvili

What exactly are you all using as steel (nails) for this? I've tried with the 60d nails I have and guess I'm not strong enough to get more than a couple bends into it :), the nails I see in the pictures appear longer than this.

What exactly are you all using as steel (nails) for this? I've tried with the 60d nails I have and guess I'm not strong enough to get more than a couple bends into it :), the nails I see in the pictures appear longer than this.

I'm not exactly sure what the russian fellow is using but when Wigren did his couple scrolls is was a 3/8 x 12" timber tie, grip rite or savco. And that scroll was amazing.

I'm not exactly sure what the russian fellow is using but when Wigren did his couple scrolls is was a 3/8 x 12" timber tie, grip rite or savco. And that scroll was amazing.

EJ - I'm not "quite" :) to the 3/8" nail level yet. I need to find something I can learn the techniques with - like I did with the long bar braced scrolling. I'm not going to learn technique with what are limit bends for me. Think I'll just buy some regular hot roll round stock and play around with that to figure things out.

In Russia we use 200x6 mm spikes for this (roughly 8"x1/4"). They are easier than 60D nails and rate around 150-180 pounds at 7" length in Mike Krahling's calibration system (Where red nail is around 430-440 pounds).

We bend 2 of them to past 90 degrees, anchor one by another and then scroll them around each other.

x_b9617dba.jpg

Video how my friend Alexander Yuzvik does this

• Like 3

Sweet - I have been hoping for a video showing some technique - thank you!

Only steel I had was some 1/4" cold roll round so I cut it to length and went at it - I got it done but dang - that was tough! I need different steel or stronger hands :).

I need different steel

Сhris, PM me your address, I have lots of these spikes.

Edited by Ivan Beritashvili

Thanks for the mention EJ.

I used to utilize the very same technique Ivan described when I braced bent the 12"x3/8 Sivacos, keystone, and Tree Island spikes. It was very awkward cause the nails could detach violently at any time. You had to be very careful and apply the force and torque your wrist just right for them not to come apart. And it was very hard, as can be seen at about 2:45 when I showed the camera what it was doing to my hands! Definitely not a good idea to continue but I was young and stupid! It ended up ok though.

• Like 2

Only steel I had was some 1/4" cold roll round so I cut it to length and went at it - I got it done but dang - that was tough! I need different steel or stronger hands :).

Do you have a picture?

I tried with timber ties but could apply force the right way.

this is interesting but... does anyone have video of how to make a chain out of 60d nails? I remember that jeff(parker?) from michigan had one at a MI comp one year. I don't ever remember seeing a video of how it was done.

• Like 1

Damn David that technique looked flawless, never seen anything like that.

How have I not seen this before?

My botched attempt.attachicon.gif0609152111.jpg

That looks pretty cool really Josh!

• Like 1

Spot the difference between knot and scroll :)

Both are 200 x 6 mm timber spikes:

Vladimir Romanov, Ufa, Bashkortostan
tbEmXIUHzSI.jpg

Yuri Alekhin, Vladikavkaz, North Osetia
NxIDVbAHtJQ.jpg

• Like 1

I will have to try the knot next. Those look really awesome, Ivan. Thank you for sharing.

If anyone has any other unique bending, please share.

Delmar, unfortunately no videos.

These knots took about half-an-hour and are highly dependant of luck. Too much or too little lever remained, plus/minus 1 degree of bend - and the nail will NEVER tie into itself. I talked to Vladimir, upper pic, he said he spoiled 30 more nails but couldn't repeat it.

• Like 1

this is interesting but... does anyone have video of how to make a chain out of 60d nails? I remember that jeff(parker?) from michigan had one at a MI comp one year. I don't ever remember seeing a video of how it was done.

Brent, I think it was Jeff Flynn. He's AP on here but I haven't seen him post in awhile.

I haven't seen the chain but I have seen him bend a few pennies.