One Arm Pull Up Training!

Electron

http://youtu.be/SkEYTqbID7g

This is where I'm at right now, constructive criticism appreciated.

Disregard the left arm attempt, it's shot right now.

My bodyweight is 61kg/135#s, and can do weighteds with about 40kg/90#s.

The hardest part of the movement for me is the beginning part.

Without assist, I can't get the motion started from dead-hang.

Sorry I posted this twice, my internet was iffy.

I don't know how to delete it, but if a moderator were to delete one of them, I'd appreciate it.

Its so nice you posted it twice! :grin:

Thanks for noticing man, I just wanted to show how creative I am and set myself apart from the others by posting twice!

That's my problem too. I can't get the motion started.

Good work though! 90# is a heavy weighted at your BW!!!

Looks good, maybe add isometrics at the bottom (a one-arm hang pulling up) and try pausing your weighted chins at the top, that'll help add more control.

Also, try 1/2 to 2/3 reps from a dead start--just starting from a normal standing position and pulling up with one arm from there--really helped me.

-edit-

Just realized this was probably my first post ever on the gripboard, don't actively use this username very often lol.

Edited by demarcoa

That's my problem too. I can't get the motion started.

Good work though! 90# is a heavy weighted at your BW!!!

Thanks Matt, I'm training to be able to do pullups with my roommate on my back off rolling thunder handles. She's 100-105 #s.

You got some good pull up strength too, I've seen Adam's upload of you beastin'.

Is that water piping from a basement or did you make that? Either way that looks sick! Good job on the chinning. Whats your BW?

^ That's pretty strong, didn't look like you were using the towel all that much!

Might as well post mine... this was from yesterday, first full rep with right arm! And a 'hopped' rep with left arm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeFMaXFfXDA

You're a beast, man. That was a good hold after each rep, too.

I'll catch up to you... I hope.

Hope you make even more progress, and become able to bust out a few more reps.

I wonder if it's hard to be able to rep a 1AP after you can perform a rep already.

Hellswindstaff, that is a 2'' water pipe protruding from the wall of my dorm (I live in the basement). I'm 5'8'', low-140s.

We're about the same size then. Do you ever do weighteds?

Yes, most of my training has revolved around doing weighteds, I only included specific OAC training in the past 2 months or so. I've done +90x3 and +70x6.

The specific training was primarily dead-start partials (as I mentioned in my first post), but some finger-assisted reps too. I like holds a lot but didn't include them much. I only did a hold after this 'set' because it was a true max and wanted to get it on video.

I am not sure how hard it will be to do another full rep but my next goal is to get 1 full rep + 1 half rep with each arm, because I saw a video of an armwrester doing one full rep each arm followed by a bunch of partials between 3/4 and 1/2 range of motion, that seems more elbow-friendly and maybe easier to progress.

Can I... sure, but I'm not ready to go down one more yet. I just dropped one fist. One week my hand is supinated, the next pronated, the next neutral grip... then I drop. I'm taking it slow to make sure that I don't have any plateaus :).

Can I... sure, but I'm not ready to go down one more yet. I just dropped one fist. One week my hand is supinated, the next pronated, the next neutral grip... then I drop. I'm taking it slow to make sure that I don't have any plateaus :).

What's your exact training routine? Sets, reps, and all.

5-10 singles everyday on a 4-week cycle.

Week 1: 5-10 singles everyday with a supinated grip (because it's the strongest)...

Week 2: 5-10 singles everyday with a pronated grip (because it's the second strongest)...

Week 3: 5-10 singles everyday with a neutral grip (because it's the 3rd strongest)...

Week 4: 5-10 singles... everyday with whatever grip I choose

Week5: drop down the towel by one fist, mark the progression with a zip tie, and repeat the cycle

I'm rotating the grip so that I insure constant progress... remember strength is a product of your nervous system and thus motor learning

Edited by hellswindstaff

^ Interesting that you're training for it everyday. You'll probably have to break it up at some point, but that seems like a solid and balanced progression now, especially using all three grips... I never got much out of the towel but that's me.

Ive been training like this for 3 months and have only missed 3 days and those were due to not being home. I doubt that I have to take a lay off at any point. I'm "greasing the groove"... you can read about it below:

http://trainingdimen...%20Strength.pdf

Edited by hellswindstaff

Yes I know about greasing the groove. I've used it for several exercises/lifts over time, usually with good results.

The OAC isn't really much of a 'grooved' lift, though (imo). GTG will help with towel OAC, but the torque/rotation from a real OAC, is more difficult to 'practice'. Also, your elbow will start going through a huge amount of strain as you get closer to a real OAC and do the no-towel work, not sure anyone could do that daily... Some people say don't do OAC work more than once a week for this reason, though I did do OAC stuff 2-3 days a week without any problems.

I think you could probably keep up with the daily training as long as you're doing the towel assisted ones but like I said, might have to break it up once you get rid of the towel.

I'm imagining that it could be grooved just like anything else. 5 chins a day is 35 chins a week with hours in between each rep. I'm sure that's doable... but then again I can't say for certain because I haven't gotten there yet.

Possibly. What I meant was that towel chins won't give you the groove for OACs, just for towel chins, so you'll have to switch eventually.

Perhaps you'll still be able to train daily at that point, I'd imagine the brachioradialis (I think that's the little muscle) would still get pretty beaten up even with hours of rest between reps.

I was used to chinning almost everyday and think I have pretty good capacity but had to cut back for OAC-specific work, but maybe you're different. I'm curious to see how it works out for you--best of luck!

Ohhh I see. You mean during the transition from the towel to one arm then I may have to take some time off? Possibly.