Stupid Gym Mistakes You've Seen?

Royz

Ok so yesterday I saw a dude using straps on (light) behind the neck presses. WTF!?

This gave me the idea for this thread. I know you've all seen people do weird stuff at the gym. Please share!

Just for fun.

I'd have to say what peeves me the most is when I see people doing deadlifts and stiff legged deadlifts with horrible form and a really round back. I look on in horror!

• Like 3

Thankfully I have my own gym, but sometimes I am forced to use commercial gyms if we go away. I've seen it all. I try to just keep the hood up and the head phones blaring and ignore 99% of what goes on around me.

I think what makes me laugh the most is when I walk in and see guys working out, that have been there who knows how long, and when I leave exhausted and soaked through my hoodie in sweat and the same guys are still there without a drop of sweat on them. What the hell have they been doing for hours?? Oh, that's right, doing 1 set every 10 minutes, talking about their last keg party, or staring at chicks.

To each their own, but I am not there to have a good time. I am there to do a job and roll out.

• Like 3

I'd have to say what peeves me the most is when I see people doing deadlifts and stiff legged deadlifts with horrible form and a really round back. I look on in horror!

And then they get angry if you dare say anything about that...

• Like 1

And then they get angry if you dare say anything about that...

Lol yeah, that's why I don't say anything anymore. Honestly if they're too dumb to realize their form is terrible, then so be it. Natural selection at work

A lot of people don't seem to graps even the most basic fundamentals of training.

- You're supposed to put your ass back when squatting

- A bicep curl is NOT a full body movement

- If somebody spots you when bench pressinh he's not supposed to lift half the weight

etc. etc.

:grin:

Back in the day (approx 20 years ago), I saw some of the most screwed up stuff in the gym. Some highlights: I came in one AM and found teeth by the incline barbell press bench. Another time I came in a few minutes after the owner had confronted a juice dealer and had put the dudes head through the wall above the drinking fountain. That was just the stuff I saw first hand. Some of the other things I heard about, I have never heard about happening in any other walk of life.

• Like 1

I don't have any really wild stories, but one thing that stuck with me was about 11 or 12 years ago I was on a leg press machine doing sets with around 1100 or 1200 lbs and some guy walks up to me after my set and started lecturing me about blowing apart my knees with such "crazy" weights. I just laughed and told him I was still warming up!

I don't remember ever seeing that guy again, but I do recall seeing a couple guys I knew get up and walk away from a leg press with around 2000 lbs on it....whew, they must have just dodged a bullet on that one lol....As far as I know all of those guys including myself can still walk.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying you can't get hurt on a leg press, but I am saying it has a lot more to do with your form than the weight you are using.

A little off topic but

While I was working out at a planet fitness in myrtle beach about fifteen years ago, they opened a full liquer bar right inside. It replaced the juice and protein shake bar!!!! I quit that day.

TOP THAT SH^+

• Like 2

Gym necessities bro: tanning oil and eyepiece, sissy gloves, the latest synthetic prohormone, bigass mirrors, camera for selfies, and Tap Out apparel so people think you're some sort of fighter... Bro

I hate commercial gyms.. Military gyms aren't great either!

• Like 1

I gotta admit I liked the eye candy in the commercial gyms - I also liked, well..................................................................... nothing else really.

• Like 1

Off topic:

I love the Tap Out decals on all the jacked up trucks around here. Then out jumps a 120-pound 17 year old kid with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Cracks me up every time. That and the "truck nuts". I told my wife I want to hang a 45 pound plate off the back of my truck!

We were at a restaurant parking lot one day and out jumped a kid and his girlfriend from a truck that was sky high. The decal across the back said "Dodge the father, Ram the daughter!" Imagine if that was your little girl riding around with that dirt bag? Or your son with that decal? I would kick my sons ass between his shoulder blades if ANY of them even thought about putting a decal like that on their vehicles!

• Like 5

More stupid than a mistake but it was 24 hour fitness 07-08' time frame everyday after work "rush hour" at the gym and this dude with knee wraps on both elbow's would be doing half curl "rack curl" singles in the one full power rack in the whole gym LOL.

I gotta admit I liked the eye candy in the commercial gyms - I also liked, well..................................................................... nothing else really.

This x1000000

I also hate all the bros that insist on talking to me and wanting to cut in then can't lift the weight.

Lol. Not much eye candy going on at my gym. At least not at the hours that I'm there.

Also gyms in Holland generally seem to be even worse than American gyms. For instance, there are practically no gyms that have dumbbells heavier than 40kg(90lbs) in Holland.

• Like 1

It makes my back hurt thinking about this one. I saw this guy stand on a platform and perform stiff legged deads with a rounded back and no belt, bringing the bar down till it touched his feet. He somehow managed a double with 500 without exploding a disc.

Ah, to be bulletproof again. That over-confident lad was me. You can get away with a lot of reckless when you're 18.

• Like 2

Lol. Not much eye candy going on at my gym. At least not at the hours that I'm there.

Also gyms in Holland generally seem to be even worse than American gyms. For instance, there are practically no gyms that have dumbbells heavier than 40kg(90lbs) in Holland.

what??? You mean to tell me there's not a bunch of hotties wearing wooden shoes in your gym? Don't hold out on us bro lol

Off topic:

I love the Tap Out decals on all the jacked up trucks around here. Then out jumps a 120-pound 17 year old kid with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Cracks me up every time. That and the "truck nuts". I told my wife I want to hang a 45 pound plate off the back of my truck!

We were at a restaurant parking lot one day and out jumped a kid and his girlfriend from a truck that was sky high. The decal across the back said "Dodge the father, Ram the daughter!" Imagine if that was your little girl riding around with that dirt bag? Or your son with that decal? I would kick my sons ass between his shoulder blades if ANY of them even thought about putting a decal like that on their vehicles!

Rick, you should have punched him out.

I wouldn't call my gym "hardcore" my any means (a lot of PT sessions with usually 2-4 in a session - so most people are under control or having their common sense exercised for them), but the 2 worst things I seem to notice are:

- Full body barbell bicep curls.

- Too much weight on the barbell when bench pressing alone (I've personally "rescued" 3 guys in the last 8 years - but at least 2 other guys that I'm aware of have a higher rescue count !!).

Out of habit I keep half an eye on the benches if I'm training near them and see a noob training on their own. What price to ask for a spot?

I came in one AM and found teeth by the incline barbell press bench.

That is friggin' classic. Would be a great youtube video.

I wasn't there to witness it, I just saw the aftermath and heard this from the gym owner: Apparently a couple of guys came in, and it was there first day in the gym. They get signed up and proceed to the back of the gym. They load 135# or so on the bar. One guy got on the bench, and the other guy helped him unrack and then apparently both were so incompetent, the bar went straight through the lifters grill. They immediately took what teeth they had and went to the dentist. They forgot 2 or 3 of them, so when I came in and found the teeth and blood on the floor, I took the teeth up to the front desk. That's when I got the whole story. I have a feeling if that had been caught on tape, it would be a hard one to watch without cringing from disgust.

There was another guy that rumor had it was doing both roids and coke (I've never done or advocate either btw). He'd come in and squat in the smith machine all the time. One day he was going for a personal best with some insane weight and ended up blowing out both knees. I wasn't there to see that, but the next time I saw the dude, he was back in the gym trying to workout from a wheel chair.

The most stupid thing I have ever done, was when I was at a summer arts camp at Ithaca college in 1992. They had a really great gym at the sports center there. I had the whole thing to myself every afternoon. One day I was unloading 495# off the squat bar. Like an idiot I forgot to unload both ends evenly. I think I got three or four plates off one end and the whole bar flipped over and off the squat rack. Nobody was there to see it, but I was still embarrassed and guilt ridden that I could have hurt somebody.

• Like 2

And if your not carefull where you set your shaker full of suppliments, i might pick that up and have a sip too.

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA Classic!