Deadlift Battle!

Rick Walker

Had my son and his friend he trains with have a deadlift battle last night. My son used 135 and his buddy used 95 and they went for 20 minutes, back and fourth, hitting as many reps as they wanted to with the winner being whoever hit the most amount of reps in the 20 minute time limit won. I stopped the clock only during weight changes.

It was close the whole way, my son would do 15, his bud would do 10, then my son would do 10 and his bud would do 15. Then his buddy pulled ahead on 2 sets, hitting 15 twice to my sons 10. We were down to the last 5 minutes and I told my son he was down by 10 with 4 minutes to go. My son managed to haul up 22 reps and his bud was up next. He hit 11 and was about to break the floor with his 12 when the watch hit 20 and I called a stop to it.

Afterwards I tallied up the score. My son hit 92 reps with 135 and his bud hit 91 with 95. Wow! Close as hell and now my son has the King Of The Dungeon title until the next time.

They finished with bench presses and 1 arm cleans.

• Like 4

That sounds awesome and like a lot of fun.

• Like 1

Great - now I'm probably weaker than a couple 11 year olds :). Tell them congrats for me please.

• Like 1

Sounds like a miserable time.

But capped off by an unmatched sense of accomplishment!

Cool contest, Rick.

• Like 2

They actually loved the back and fourth competition and my son ran around the gym pumping his fists like he just won a gold medal after he got the win. It is a great way to mix things up and keep them enjoying their training. It brings the fire out in them instead of the just going through the motions.

• Like 1

I love reps to a time limit deads! It'd be great to have someone else in the room to pull against as well. Really get a good push.

• Like 1

Very cool Rick!

Man, if I pulled 135 for nearly a hundred reps in 20 minutes this weekend I would be pretty dang happy...can't imagine doing it at 11 years old!

• Like 1

On July 19, 2012, I hit 315 for 100 reps in 15:09. It was crazy hard and smoked my glutes and hams for days. 3Crusher on here is really into the high rep stuff...endurance lifting with heavy weights...so I got the idea from him. Never tried it again since. Now that I am deadlifting on the regular again I might give it a go sometime this summer based on how I feel. I think I will still use 315 and still go for 100 but maybe try and reduce the time. You don't really have time to strap in so I had to go alternate grip and my hands took a beating as well.

I like to pound mental toughness into the young lifter's heads. Kids have a tendency to quit way too soon, so I like to train that voice that tells them to stop and teach them how to silence it. Their workouts are brutal, but every time they make it through one of them I can see the look on their faces that tells me they are proud. It teaches them to be intrinsically motivated instead of extrinsically like so many kids today who just want a trophy for showing up!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Round 2 last night. My son hit 116 reps with 135 in 20 mins. His buddy hit 115 with 95. Down to the wire again!!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

3rd round.

Casey: 145 pounds for 125 reps in 10 minutes.

Jeremy: 105 pounds for 113 reps in 10 minutes.

Round 3 goes to my son again!!! More weight more reps.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve. Talk about mental strength and toughness. These sessions are teaching them more than they will ever know!

Rick- Exactly! If all one did was lift weights to lift a weight without thinking about how they went from point A to point B and never looked back on their own journey, did not get anything out of lifting weights.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...