Use It Or Lose It ☠ Training Log

Cannon

I'm on a crash course with "lose it" so something needs to change. I was looking at some notes and I last exercised on September 24th. And that was an isolated workout (as opposed to the end of some good run of workouts). Also, it's been a LONG time since I trained most grip exercises.

I'll probably dust off the old RT, Hub, thick bar and some pinch block. Also I converted a TTK to work like a tombstone and simulate 2HP. I'm interested to try that. There are some blobs sitting around including a 40 or 45 fatman (can't remember which) that need to accumulate some frequent flier miles.

For non-grip stuff I still like body weight exercises. Push-ups, pull ups, etc. I also really want to start doing yoga to get my body used to moving again. My back issues and joint problems are pretty oppressive lately. In general, it hurts to move. I think the movement and stretching of yoga will be really good.

For better or worse, I have no goals except to log some workouts. Any given day I just want to do what seems possible. And, in general, doing ANYTHING will be better than doing nothing.

First workout tonight! :rock

• Like 12

15 minute yoga from YouTube.

2x35s 2HP did some lifts and holds. Super easy but just reminding my body what to do.

35# Fatman, a bunch of lifts and holds both hands.

• Like 2

Interesting log Matt! I do alot of Yoga myself. I like doing them right before bed. Makes your whole body relaxed and stretched out before falling asleep.

I have to admit the 15 mins was rough. I'm just going to go video by video on YouTube and get better at it.

Any particular videos you are watching? I have the flexibility of a 2×4.

I just search YouTube for "15 minute yoga". Plan is to just do the next video that doesn't say "watched". The one tonight was kind of advanced, but I did my best.

This is the kind of struggle with my back. Tons of pain today. Not too mobile. Possibly from the torso torsion of RT. Yoga is still going to happen at 6:30. :pinch

The Tombstone Pinch setup I have has treated me quite well.

• Like 2

I could not do yoga yesterday. I will try again tonight and do some grip stuff too. I'm basically paralyzed today because of my back. I really think it was the RT lifts.

You may have already said, but is it an old injury or something new?

You may have already said, but is it an old injury or something new?

Old. My last two discs are totally and completely shot.

I ended up working extra hours at home today because I lost time commuting due to weather. Workout didn't happen.

So things are going about as expected :trout

My back has been getting sore the last couple of days and completely locked up today. I guess that's what I get for trying to move! Workouts probably postponed until I can get into the doc.

Hey dude I also have lower back problems. I have found that yoga, stretching, rolling out with The Stick, and stem machine time really really helps.

I can't pull heavy anymore at all due to herniated discs.

Grippers will never bother the back tho.

Long walks a few times per week help me alot.

Nothing helps a snapped up back like long walks.

• Like 1

Low back stuff sucks. At this point my actual discs are the source of pain, not anything about their shape or position. Therefore movement is not always good for me. I will need a 2-level fusion eventually, but trying to stay that as long as possible.

Re-joined the gym at work today. Working out at home just wasn't happening. :shutup:

Did a 1/2hr workout with light weights and reps in the 20-30 range. 2-3 sets of each.

• Lat pulldown, chest press, pull-up circuit. Pull-ups were only 3x5.
  • Biceps, upright row
  • Triceps, light levering of a short "body bar"
  • Then did some glutes physical therapy-type stuff to help my back.
  • Like 2

Grippers

HG150 warm up

HG 300, sets of 3 reps, more warm up

GM choked 1/4" to 1/2", various widths. Tons of reps ranging in sets of 5 down to 1.

Pinch

2hp bounce reps, 70#, a zillion reps

90# more bounces

125# bunch of singles

35# fatman, bunch of lifts mostly from down on 1 knee

Finished with 2 fatman isos each hand.

Gym workout last night.

3x5 pull-ups.

Crap load of light reps on Lat Pulldown, machine row, chest press, incline press.

Also back extension.

I'm getting foot surgery on the 31st and will be in a boot for 12 weeks so it will be time to get creative with workouts! (Does the boot count as weighted pull-ups? ;) )

What is a 2hp bounce rep? Oh and my wife had that fusion last year, and she has never complained about her back since. It was like a miracle, you need to come to Pensylvania and see Dr Larou in Lankanau Hospital, he'll fix ya up.

What is a 2hp bounce rep? Oh and my wife had that fusion last year, and she has never complained about her back since. It was like a miracle, you need to come to Pensylvania and see Dr Larou in Lankanau Hospital, he'll fix ya up.

Adam Glass showed me "bounce reps" which is picking up the weight only a fraction of an inch over and over really quick. You do not have to reposition each time, just re-grip.

That's good to know about the back surgery! But I'm slated to get FOOT surgery :) Back will be an eventuality, but I'm still trying to put that off.

• Like 1