EricMilfeld

Deadlift

527x2

357x10 (beltless)

Shrugs

460x7x2

Barbell Rows

208x5x3

Nice work! I may have missed it but how are you programming your work?

Thank you, Tom and Jason!

Jason, I said this over in your log a while back: "I'll be trying little 3 week mini cycles, squatting and benching twice weekly: 1st week sets of 6, 2nd week sets of 4, then a near max double the 3rd week, followed by a set of high reps. Then on the other workout each week it will be sets of 3.

Deadlifts will be weekly using the same sets of 6,4, and a heavy double."

I'm always open to modification as I move along, though. On deadlifts I may substitute multiple sets of 2 in place of the one heavier double, sooner than later. I'm really trying to avoid those 100% efforts, although right now it's not too critical because I should progress a while longer no matter what I do, being that I'm gaining weight and getting back into it after a very long break from true powerlifting training.

• Like 1

Thank you, Tom and Jason!

Jason, I said this over in your log a while back: "I'll be trying little 3 week mini cycles, squatting and benching twice weekly: 1st week sets of 6, 2nd week sets of 4, then a near max double the 3rd week, followed by a set of high reps. Then on the other workout each week it will be sets of 3.

Deadlifts will be weekly using the same sets of 6,4, and a heavy double."

I'm always open to modification as I move along, though. On deadlifts I may substitute multiple sets of 2 in place of the one heavier double, sooner than later. I'm really trying to avoid those 100% efforts, although right now it's not too critical because I should progress a while longer no matter what I do, being that I'm gaining weight and getting back into it after a very long break from true powerlifting training.

Sounds familiar.... Haha! Sorry I got a brain fog. Any plan on the assistance or just what you feel you need by the day?

Eric-

I have found in my older age that I cannot be as aggressive when it comes to training the big 3. I always do some sort of bench type movement, but I only squat and deadlift every 11 or so days with belt squats in between. This has kept me far from over reaching and far from missing lifts. I used to go all out and miss weights nearly every week, now I do things a little different. The goal now is to not miss a lift. It may seem like my approach would not help to build strength but it does and it really helps the mental side of lifting and the confidence under the weight. I don't know what goals I have. I might do a raw meet, I might not, but right now I am having a lot of fun experimenting with my training and actually looking like I lift weights! People no longer ask me if I am still lifting but rather ask for my training tips. If you look at my log I throw a ton of body building in with just a sprinkling of powerlifting. This has saved me the aches and pains and kept me from being pissed all the time because I missed a lift. My wife says I am a much happier lifter now. LOL!

Jason, at the moment I'm pretty happy with my short list of assistance exercises. Assistance exercises have never been a "make or break" part of my training anyways. I'm just trying to give a little attention to the areas I feel aren't being stressed enough by the big three. Looking for balance, really: curls, rows, shrugs, weighted sit ups, calves, a little neck work.

Rick, I couldn't agree more about the need to back off on the consistent all-out efforts as we age. And you're absolutely correct about missed attempts messing with you psychologically. I'm having to retrain myself to think in terms of volume personal bests and personal bests in terms of how easy a particular weight feels, as opposed to consistently attempting personal bests in max weight. Right now the weight is going up pretty much every week but I'm prepared for the inevitable tapering in progress. As an aside, I'm really enjoying squatting twice weekly and think it's helping my progress.

• Like 1

Neck Curls (laying on bench with plates on forehead and flexing neck)

91x10

71x20

Squats

410x2... I backed out of the rack with extreme focus and immediately realized I had to fart. After verbalizing this my wife busted out laughing. I maintained composure, let nature take its course, and completed both reps 2" below parallel, according to my side judge. This demonstrates mastery of a weight.

280x10 (beltless)

Bench Press

I slowly and cautiously worked up to 218x3, and my pec felt good. Very pleased. Another week and I should be able to start pushing my bench again.

Calves

245x20

265x15

Curl Bar

110x3

107x5

87x10

Situps

21x15x2

• Like 3

I re racked a squat set a couple of weeks ago for the same reason. I may have some mastery of the squat too, my pressure relief valve not so much.

• Like 1

I re racked a squat set a couple of weeks ago for the same reason. I may have some mastery of the squat too, my pressure relief valve not so much.

I thought about reracking it, but I invested too much mental preparation already to start from scratch (lazy).

• Like 1

I thought about reracking it, but I invested too much mental preparation already to start from scratch (lazy).

Been there too. Luckily I have a washroom 20' from the squat rack haha!

• Like 1

Been there too. Luckily I have a washroom 20' from the squat rack haha!

TMI. Lol!
  • Like 1

Squats (beltless)

333x3x5

Bench

226x3x5 (pec is feeling better, maybe 90% to 95% recovery)

• Like 2

Neck Curls

71x15

71x20

Lateral Neck Raises

25x20x2

Love reading your log Eric. I am fascinated by the gains you make on such low volume. How long would a typical bench or squat workout take you? How much rest in between sets?

Jeff, this is actually my new and improved high volume approach. Not long ago I would perform only one heavy set. I still rest at least ten minutes between work sets. I never rush workouts, so usually I'm working out for at least an hour and a half now.

• Like 1

Interesting approach, it definitely works. Do you think it's because you are fully recovered between sets? Are you sore from these workouts like you would be from doing more volume but less rest in between?

Thanks Eric

Yes, I think the thorough rests are essential for me to get mentally and physically prepped for the next one when I'm using anywhere near max weight. No, I don't get sore. And even with more volume and less rest I would adapt after a couple of workouts and wouldn't get sore anymore.

Tommy stopped by for deadlifts, arm wrestling, and Guinness. Impeccable taste. Oh, and super awesome guacamole with chips.

Deadlifts

447x6x2

406x6 (no belt)

Shrugs

476x7x2

Barbell Rows

207x5x3

• Like 5

A few days ago there was a question on reddit regarding protein shakes. The post was asking if protein powder has to be mixed in with milk or water, or could you mix with a miller lite and chug that instead? He said he much preferred the taste.

That user was quickly reprimanded for choosing a light beer to mix, because everybody knows that the gainz all come from the darker beers.

Broscience.

• Like 1

Yori, there's actually a lot of hard science in the broscience.

THIS time I got you, Tommy. That's never a sure thing.

Squats

346x6x3

Bench Press (felt like my pec may be totally healed now)

227x6x2

227x7

Calves

265x15x2

Curl Bar

106x7x3

Sit Ups

21x15x2

• Like 1

Yori, there's actually a lot of hard science in the broscience.

THIS time I got you, Tommy. That's never a sure thing.

Ha! As long as you are actively powerlifting i think its written in stone.

Sounds like you best actively powerlift.

Strong stuff Eric. I've never known anyone who can manipulate their BW the way you do - a skill I wish I had.

• Like 1

Strong stuff Eric. I've never known anyone who can manipulate their BW the way you do - a skill I wish I had.

Thank you, Chris! I think it's mainly just a testament to my fickleness. My mind is a yo-yo. And every time I say, "this is my perfect weight". Lol. Even now I'm not sure whether to stay 205 or start pushing for 230. My idea at the moment is to eat right, lift right, and let my weight fall where it may...