Strength Goals

PeterSweden

Anyone who has any strength goal or goals this year that arent grip related?

I decided a couple of weeks back that I was going to do free standing handstand pushups and front levers on the chinup bar before the year is up.

Been training since then and Im making progress.

I can almost militarypress my own bodyweight atm (93kg) and I've started to learn how to stand without a wall.

I can already do 5-7 reps when leaning on a wall.´so handstands pushups wont take that long to accieve Id say.

Front levers on the other hand..... :)

Nice to hear about other peoples goals!

What are you aiming for?

Anyone who has any strength goal or goals this year that arent grip related?

I decided a couple of weeks back that I was going to do free standing handstand pushups and front levers on the chinup bar before the year is up.

Been training since then and Im making progress.

I can almost militarypress my own bodyweight atm (93kg) and I've started to learn how to stand without a wall.

I can already do 5-7 reps when leaning on a wall.´so handstands pushups wont take that long to accieve Id say.

Front levers on the other hand..... :)

Nice to hear about other peoples goals!

What are you aiming for?

just get healthier i hope. less junk food. and get fitter in general. will be 50 later this year. need to do some stuff.

• Like 1

I am trying to do an Anderson squat/timed hold with 800lbs. I am currently at 715. If that goes well--meaning neither I nor the barbell bends or breaks, then I intend to shoot for 900 lbs. Then I want to lower the pin and start all over. I don't know if this counts as grip related or not, but I am trying to drive a nail through a 1-inch board, the last time I almost got a 12D nail through 3/4 inch thick pine board. I just started working on a Jefferson Deadlift style hold (to train my obliques), but I am not far enough along to set a goal.

I am trying to do an Anderson squat/timed hold with 800lbs. I am currently at 715. If that goes well--meaning neither I nor the barbell bends or breaks, then I intend to shoot for 900 lbs. Then I want to lower the pin and start all over. I don't know if this counts as grip related or not, but I am trying to drive a nail through a 1-inch board, the last time I almost got a 12D nail through 3/4 inch thick pine board. I just started working on a Jefferson Deadlift style hold (to train my obliques), but I am not far enough along to set a goal.

Never heard of those squat exercises :) got any vids of it being done? :)

Driving nails is insane :)

I was just calling it a rack squat from the top position. Then a friend of mine told me that Paul Anderson invented it and he could do 2000 lbs on the exercise. I thought that was cool, and didn't really care to check behind him so I just took him at his word. I however, use it as a set up for a ten second support hold. I had someone take the video with my flip phone and it will not upload to grip board. You can however view it on my facebook profile at this link: https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=501833359920816&set=vb.100002824691189&type=2&theater&notif_t=video_comment

Nail driving is like steel bending, do the proper auxilliary exercises, warm up, use proper technique, and then hit the intended target with everything you got :)

• Like 1

750 farmers deadlift @ 18" pick height

300 combined weight chinup

Both performed at no more than 183 body weight.

• Like 1

750 farmers deadlift @ 18" pick height

Is that per hand?- humor
That's right. 750 decagrams per hand.

Then a friend of mine told me that Paul Anderson invented it and he could do 2000 lbs on the exercise.

Cool. That's Bud Jefferies type stuff. I wonder how he could do 2000# though. Maybe he needed two barbells.

Then a friend of mine told me that Paul Anderson invented it and he could do 2000 lbs on the exercise.

Cool. That's Bud Jefferies type stuff. I wonder how he could do 2000# though. Maybe he needed two barbells.

I have heard about Bud Jefferies, but I am not really aquainted with anything he does. As for that figure, I genuinely have no idea. As far as I know, he could have specially made a barbell with a 2000 lb loading capacity for goats. But your idea definately sounds more practical :)

• Like 1

Non grip strength goal would be shoulder pressing. Can currently shoulder press my bw for 6-8 reps and have done 90kg for 1..I would love to get in the 100kg zone sometime

• Like 1

Non grip strength goal would be shoulder pressing. Can currently shoulder press my bw for 6-8 reps and have done 90kg for 1..I would love to get in the 100kg zone sometime

me22!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

bw barbell military press
1ADB strict press x 100lbs
300lbs[bw+120lbs] chin up
200lbs one arm row

400lbs deadlift

900lbs short range deadlift

315lbs a2g squat

150lbs neck harness flexion and extension[complete]

DB curl x 60lbs

• Like 1

70 by 70 list - that is all.

I've had the problem of shooting too high with goals.

So:

100 lbs strict curl

115 lbs strict press

200 lbs bench press and clean

250 lbs squat

300 lbs deadlift

What's next? Maybe another 5 lbs on each lift.

• Like 3

Chris, you'll have to enlighten me. What is 70 by 70?

• Like 2

Goals are in my sig.

The KB goal I don't think is going to happen. Reason being is KB press training puts tremendous pressure on my forearm extensors, and it degrades my grip training. I even tried Valery's kettleshields, and those didn't help much.

The DB goal can happen this year. That would be about half bodyweight for me.

I just did 295# for 2 x 5 today, so I think the bench is close.

Did 275# squat for 5 last week, so that is close as well.

Been a while since I pushed DL, but it should be close as well, given my training lifts.

• Like 1

Chris, you'll have to enlighten me. What is 70 by 70?

Eric it started out as a 60 by 60 list at age 56. I made up a list of "stuff" to accomplish by the time of that birthday - giving me 5 years blocks of time to do each list. So first was 60x60 - then 65x65 and now 70x70 - after that it will be 75x75 etc. It has easy - moderate - hard - and stupid hard items on it. So out of the say 100 items on there, I need to do 70 of them within the next 4 years or so. It covers much more than grip and has general strength, aerobic feats, climbing goals, etc etc etc. It is all over the place, just like me.

• Like 5

Chris, that's super neat. It certainly sounds like a great way to keep you well-rounded and focused... all the time!

Eric - that new avatar is creepy. Is that a Rocky Balboa punching puppet?

Eric - that new avatar is creepy. Is that a Rocky Balboa punching puppet?

Martin, that is precisely what it is. I agree it's creepy. My grandfather found it at a second-hand store and got a big kick out of it. When he passed away I just had to have it. It has a mean left and right jab. Both my pug and my daughter's pekingese mix want nothing to do with it. Part of what's so funny about it is the stirrups and pink polka dots on his outfit. Apparently in the country it was made America is identified with the "Old West", and since Rocky is American stirrups must therefore be an appropriate motif. And the pink polka dots... that's the icing on the cake!

• Like 1

I have two big goals for the year:

• Triple-bodyweight deadlift (600lbs.)
  • double bodyweight raw bench press (390-400lbs.)

Both lifts lifetime drug free and as a soon-to-be Masters competitor. I've been after a 600 DL for years--took me almost five years to go from 500 to 550, due to lots of injury issues. Took me 22 years to go from 300 to 350 on raw bench. LOL

• Like 5

So I'm gonna set the bar real low.

500# dead lift with no wraps or belt (currently at 475) single rep

Bench press 130# dumb bells 2 sets of 5 (currently at 125# 2 sets of 5)

Bigger long term goals

Big g8 in imps

Koasb in doubles

Cert the #3

• Like 2