Get Better

KRC

Mock Meet 1

Grippers: IM 2.5 @ 124lbs

Hub: 58.5lbs (PR)

RT: 127.5lbs (PR)

Hammer: 198lbs @ 16.5" (PR)

Total: 508

This went pretty well. I stretched it out over 90 minutes and I'll lengthen each mock meet to get as close as is reasonable to the real comp time (probably 4+ hours)

Goals for Mock Meet 2 (in late May):

Grippers: IM 2.5 @ 124lbs w/1" Block Set

Hub: 60lbs

RT: 130lbs

Hammer: 204lbs @ 17"

Total: 518

• Like 1

Great job bro. Congrats on all the PRs. Keep it up!

• Like 1

Just looked up at the 1st Mock Meet... the RT was not a PR. 132.5 is my training PR... 127 and change is my comp PR. Either way it still needs a lot of work, lol.

Grippers: up to 2x1 @ BBSM (122) w/20mm

4x5 @ IM 1 (84) w/CCS

Hub: 4x5 @ 37.5

Looked at a house today right across the street from my work with a garage--hoping to be able to move in in August and FINALLY set up a legit training space, both for grip and lifting.

RT: 4x7 @ 102.5 -- missed last two reps of the last set... wasn't really focused today.

Hammer: 4x5 @ 13" (156) -- easy

Grippers: up to 3x1 @ BBSM (122) w/20mm

4x4 @ Filed BBM (108) w/1.5" BS

Hub: 4x4 @ 40lbs

Gripper singles were fast and easy. Also did MMS with the same gripper for all singles.

Grippers: up to 4x1 @ BBSM (122) w/20mm BS RH, MMS LH

4x3 @ GHP5 (112) w/1" BS

Hub: 4x3 @ 42.5

Gripper reps were more of a struggle than I anticipated. Hub is still super easy, might make a slight jump next cycle.

I made that post above mid-workout and ended up going for another heavy single on the hammer DL.

1x1 @ 18" (216lbs) PR

1x1 @ 20" (240lbs) PR

This video essentially shows nothing, but I wasn't planning on taking one and I couldn't find my flip camera so I used my cell which, obviously, was terrible. Ill more clearly mark the inches and use a real camera next time.

The 20" wasn't exactly easy but I definitely have more in me. :mosher

Grippers: up to 3x2 @ BBSM (122)

Hub: 4x2 @ 45

Doubles with the SM were smooth. I'm getting really amped up about the hammer DL and what the performances in my weight class have been, and as a consequence, I'm thinking about doing grippers at the comp with my left. I don't like the idea of sacrificing 5-10lbs (or more) on the event, but my hammer progress has been fast and if I'm in range for a top class performance, I'll consider dropping the RH.

I'll see where I am during the second mock meet in 10 days with my 138lb GHP 6 RH. If I'm nowhere close, and my hammer keeps going up, I'll think more seriously about doing grippers LH in the comp.

Do grippers really affect your hammer strength? I plan on doing grippers and the hammer with my right hand since that is my strongest hand for both events and I haven't noticed one event affecting the other.

I'm doing Rolling thunder and hub left hand most likely since I'm usually stronger with the left on those.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Honestly, I don't know. I guess the issue wasn't so much that grippers specifically (more so than pinch or thickbar) adversely affect my hammer strength, just that doing anything at high intensity prior would diminish my strength on the hammer given that it's the last event. Me closing that 145lb #3 is a long shot, but I should put up decent numbers in the hub and hammer, and likely a PR on the RT. The grippers are the event I;m least likely to set a PR in, so given where I stand (in training) relative to the top 5 weight class performances for the hammer (and maybe the hub if that goes well), the thought is save my energy for the events I can do best at. Bad idea?

RT: 4x4 @ 110

Hammer: 4x2 @ 14.5"

up to 1x1 @ 21" (252lbs)

OK, last heavy single until the mock meet 9 days. Hopefully that's a better video. Next time, a tape measure, lol.

• Like 1

RT: 3x3, 1x7 @ 112.5

Hammer: 4x1 @ 15" (180lbs)

Went for AMAP on the last RT set.

Going to take three days off with two light days in between, and do the second mock Thursday meet before a much needed long weekend on memorial day.

Honestly, I don't know. I guess the issue wasn't so much that grippers specifically (more so than pinch or thickbar) adversely affect my hammer strength, just that doing anything at high intensity prior would diminish my strength on the hammer given that it's the last event. Me closing that 145lb #3 is a long shot, but I should put up decent numbers in the hub and hammer, and likely a PR on the RT. The grippers are the event I;m least likely to set a PR in, so given where I stand (in training) relative to the top 5 weight class performances for the hammer (and maybe the hub if that goes well), the thought is save my energy for the events I can do best at. Bad idea?

Sorry I'm late in responding. I'm have been working late and training late at night. I'm exhausted most days. For me, the only 2 events that adversely affect each other is gripper and RT but I'm using different hands for them. You know yourself better than me. I'm an adrenaline guy, I feed off contest adrenaline. I go for maximum points in every event instead of saving myself for one event or another. Grip scoring is based on percentage points so every extra lb counts. Just my feeling about it.

Second mock meet today.

Goals for Mock Meet 2 (in late May):

Grippers: IM 2.5 @ 124lbs w/1" Block Set

Hub: 60lbs

RT: 130lbs

Hammer: 204lbs @ 17"

Total: 518

Grippers: 1x1 @ IM 2.5 (124lbs) R&L (LH PR) [at goal]

Hub: 61.1lbs RH (PR) [1.1lbs over goal], 55lbs LH (PR)

RT: 129.6lbs [.4lbs under goal]

Hammer: 216lbs @ 18" [12lbs over goal]

Total: 530.7 [12.7 over goal]

All in all it went OK. After the 2.5 close RH, I took 2xF @ BBGM (140lbs) w/20mm block and the first attempt was a quarter inch or less away, second was not close. I was very pleased that I was as close as I was, considering how much I've felt like I've been struggling with grippers. Hub was very solid--strong lockout, hold at the top and descent. Miscalculated attempts on the RT up to the 129.6 (130 in weights) but got my second try with it. RT progress is SLOW but apparently steady.

Biggest disappointment was the hammer. Starting to feel the early stages of pain in my right wrist, I think from taking all the singles I did during the second micro cycle. I also was noticeably less "amped up" after the hub for the RT and hammer. Anyway, 18" was cake. 20" was fairly easy but the quarter fell off before the top. 22" was only a hover x2. The 18" exceeds my goal, but I was hoping for 22" given the last few weeks. Oh well. Time to rest up this long weekend and get back into the volume for the third cycle.

Goals for Mock Meet 3 (in late June):

Grippers: progress on the 140 BBGM (i.e. 1/8" or closer)

Hub: 62.5

RT: 132.5

Hammer: 19" (228lbs)

Total: 547

AM

Squat: 5x3 @ 115

Row: 5x5 @ 95

Rev. Curls: 3x10 w/10s hold

OH Extensions: 3x10 -- "superset" with curls and done with a fixed weight ez bar

Abs

Feels good to squat again.

PM

Day one of the third cycle, which will actually be 5 weeks, 4 training, 1 deload.

Grippers: 3x8 CCS @ IMS - explosive as possible with very slow eccentrics

Hub: 5x8 @ 35lbs

Sorry I'm late in responding. I'm have been working late and training late at night. I'm exhausted most days. For me, the only 2 events that adversely affect each other is gripper and RT but I'm using different hands for them. You know yourself better than me. I'm an adrenaline guy, I feed off contest adrenaline. I go for maximum points in every event instead of saving myself for one event or another. Grip scoring is based on percentage points so every extra lb counts. Just my feeling about it.

Sorry, missed this: I hear you about the adrenaline, for sure, and I think ultimately you're right. Although in my second mock meet my hammer #'s didn't go so well I think due to the efforts on the previous events, the competition environment is something totally different than training in my tiny closet, lol. It's still two months out, but I can't wait for comp time.

RT: 5x8 @ 100 (major pump after this)

Hammer: 5x8 @ 14" (168)

Was actually 5x10 on the RT^^