Fish Db Replica Thread

bwwm

Got a quote back from IMS. ~$100 for 1 ft of 4" CRS. I need to stop in and see if they have large circular steel billets in the 25lb range. That would put it at about 93# and have at least the same handle OD. Thinking of saving up, and purchasing the pieces this Fall. Then see if I can find somebody to weld it up by the end of the year.

• Like 1

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but what is a fish dumbbell?

Nope, something else entirely. Haha

There is a video of mark Henry lifting it... I can't find it right now , but search for it...

I'll weld it up for you Martin. Just bring the pieces down. We could prolly clean up the ends and chamfer the edges on the lathe as well before welding.

- Aaron

• Like 3

Thanks Aaron! I will get to designing this thing up.

I am no expert, but I will share something Adam mentioned to me about a handle that wide being dangerous for most people, excepting those with exceptionally large hands.

I am no expert, but I will share something Adam mentioned to me about a handle that wide being dangerous for most people, excepting those with exceptionally large hands.

Mike, can you elaborate?

Reason I ask is when I think about atlas stones, slopers on climbing walls, even the pull-ups I've done on 6" OD pipe swings at the in-laws park, it's not clear to me what the danger is. I agree one has to condition wrists, etc. if one intends to clean & press it as Mark Henry did, but just a deadlift shouldn't be too bad right?

• Like 1

Come to think of it, blobs are >4", and can run in the mid 50's, and even low 60's (Blobzilla). Ironically, I have a Blobzilla, and can drag it. Haven't lifted it yet.

Well a few years ago, when everyone was getting into thick bar and fat grips, someone had a 4" DB made and he cautioned us against it strongly. Basically saying that unless you have enormous hands, there is no benefit and you are opening yourself to seriously injuring your thumb, which he said takes months and months to heal.

I would caution you not to press it overhead... I say that because I tweaked my thumb pretty bad pressing 3" DB. That downward pressure on the thumb joint wasn't good...

But I can't see deadlifting it being dangerous.

As was mentioned, blobs are quite larger than that.

How do u end up with 93 lbs , how much do the pieces weigh?

How do u end up with 93 lbs , how much do the pieces weigh?

Well, I was thinking 25 lb disks for the bells, and 43 lb for the handle. 2 x 25 + 43 = 93.

The other possibility is to go sch 40 pipe for the handle, but I like the concept of a solid handle bell.

Another possibility, is just get ~2 foot of CRS 4" OD bar that adds up to 93#, and then that would be the minimum of rotational momentum to overcome (i.e. it would roll out of your hands the fastest I think). However, it wouldn't look anything like a db.

Edited by bwwm

Yes the 2 foot section would be hard to balance, would be nice for a medley though

Isn't the fish bell 98 pounds according to Dennis' comment?

Isn't the fish bell 98 pounds according to Dennis' comment?

Maybe so. Haha. Somewhere around there.

Good catch - I'll have to order the handle cut a little larger.

Martin why do you need to use CRS steel? HRS would save a lot of money.

This is a cool project.

When I looked it up on the IMS website, the only option was CRS. I agree HRS is cheaper. I may have to look at other suppliers, or call IMS directly.

Check your scrap yards too. I know up here when I'm looking for short peices of oddball stuff it's way cheaper and you might also see some other peices to make different implements out of. Never buy new unless it's a last resort.