Diy Mounted Wrist Roller

hellswindstaff

Looking to make something similar but different than the wrist roller shown below, but the one in the picture seems to be secured with a hose clamp. I've used this method but the hose clamp almost always breaks or spins with heavy weights. Does anyone have any ideas for securing a rope, chain, or anything to hang the weight from to the PVC that is rotating around the mounted piping?

http://www.straighttothebar.com/images/posts/081218_rackmountedwristroller.jpg

Edited by hellswindstaff

Look up "timber hitch" - tie the rope on using that know and cover it with duct tape - it has held everything I could throw at it for several years now.

• Like 1

I made my wrist roller about 7 years ago and what I did was just drill a small hole through one side and out the other on the pvc pipe then tie a big not that doesn't fit through the hole...its never slipped out in 7 years, but the rope itself has broken on several occasions. Not the most elaborate solution, but it worked for me.

Look up "timber hitch" - tie the rope on using that know and cover it with duct tape - it has held everything I could throw at it for several years now.

This has the advantage of no knot inside so it rolls freely on the inner bar.

• Like 1

This has the advantage of no knot inside so it rolls freely on the inner bar.

The knot is on the outside, the rope goes through the pvc pipe and turns around the bar as you spin it. I'm not saying its the best way, but I didn't have to buy anything else, and like I said its lasted. However your method is probably better, I'm just throwing out options.

I actually use a carabiner... The kind that looks like a small chain link. I wrap the cable around a couple times, then I get the end with the carabiner and hook it around the cable that's going down from the wrist roller. Once i get some weight on there it gets tight and stays put.

I'm not sure if will work on PVC but if it does, that's good.

Edited by slazbob

I made a PVC sleeve with friction tape that slides over an axle while in a power rack. Maybe $5-10.

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/1266226852/gallery_9552_555_71464.jpg

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/1266226852/gallery_9552_555_115195.jpg

My Wrist Roller is exactly like the one in the picture posted by Cannon. Used in a Power Rack, same PVC Sleeve, Friction Tape and Hose Clamp .

Not only very low cost, works great and has advantage of using a fat grip (the outside diameter of my Sleeve is 2-1/2")

watch my videos on wrist roller how to make one really easythat is rack mounted

I probably should have specified before fellows, but I'm actually trying to avoid the thicker grip bc my hands will be maxed out before my wrists are even worked. I'm trying to stick to a width of 1"-1.5".

Thank you all for your advice so far though :)

I probably should have specified before fellows, but I'm actually trying to avoid the thicker grip bc my hands will be maxed out before my wrists are even worked. I'm trying to stick to a width of 1"-1.5".

Well that changes things a bit :). If you have a power rack with 1" pins you can use 1 1/4" PVC as a sleeve - use the Timber Hitch I spoke of (or a hose clamp) - that sleeve will turn freely enough (only make it about 16" long). That will give an outside diameter of 1 5/8".

Various combinations of inner"axle" size and outer PVC (or steel) can give you what you want.

Edited by climber511

Well that changes things a bit :). If you have a power rack with 1" pins you can use 1 1/4" PVC as a sleeve - use the Timber Hitch I spoke of (or a hose clamp) - that sleeve will turn freely enough (only make it about 16" long). That will give an outside diameter of 1 5/8".

Various combinations of inner"axle" size and outer PVC (or steel) can give you what you want.

Do you think that very heavy weights could be used wiht the timber hitch?

I use a 2'' pipe and 550 paracord and duct tape.

Tied a knot around the steel pipe, on the middle and then I took tape to secure it and preventing it from spinning.

I put the pipe in my squat rack and just roll it up.

It never spins, it never losens up and it always works.

You can take whatever '' pipe you want and do this.

I have rolled 80kilos with it without any problems.

Did you understand?

If not, I can take a picture. :) Easiest WR you'll ever make :)

• Like 1

Depends what you call heavy I guess - it held with a couple hundred pounds more or less for me.

Awesome... thanks so much guys. Gripboard rules!

Depends what you call heavy I guess - it held with a couple hundred pounds more or less for me.

That should do... at least until I'm wrist rolling with a couple thousand pounds :P