Carryover To Gripper Strength

Chops

What will have the best carryover to strength on mash monster set grippers? Seems everyone has a favorite. Is it thin pinch for thumb strength, some say it's open hand strength ie block training. No time for them all, but I want to add one more grip excersize to my workouts. For now my goal is tackling the MM ladder and not concentrating on CCS. Deadlift and similar are out due to back injury.

Your best bet is to train them all, might take a bit longer to smash your goal grippers. But your strength will be balanced and foundational. I was pretty good at grippers early on and my other training suffered (imbalances, tendinitis). I've since brought my training in much better balance and I'm stronger. Gripper strength only carries over to grippers, while all around training is much more versatile.

Edited by jvance
  • Like 3

I've had the best luck with double overhand deadlifts and 1 hand deadlifts. Otherwise it's been just hitting the grippers as much as my hands will allow.

i am far from being an expert but would say building the thump pad ( TTK ) and the last two fingers ( IM Tugs ).

I think grippers require specific training. Although I don't have any blockweights (very expensive and no hex dumbbells to be found around here) they seem to work the hands very good, maybe even better than thickbar. It really depends from person to person in the end. I remember an article written by Heath Sexton, in which he wrote that he had used a gripmachine and got stronger on that thing, but he could train his face blue and not get any carryover to grippers. On the other hand, John McCarter here from the Gripboard (COC3) and Carlos Rivera F. Pagan (COC3.5) attribute their progress with grippers specific to using gripmachines. It can be the method that was used, the set up, etc, but also how different bodies respond to the stimulus.

Steel bending.

All my grip strength is from steel bending. Hell these past 5 months is the most I've ever touched grippers, and it's been all of about 8 times in the past 5 months. Seriously, no lie or exaggeration.

Maybe spinning wrenches for the past 16 years as a hobby has helped too. But I still say steel bending.

Chops: you're new to this bud. Take it slow, don't rush anything. If you rush you will hurt yourself catastrophicly. You could find a light 144-146 CoC3. But then the mm1 is still a 12-15lb jump (or so I've heard) and that's huge. Take it slow, let your tendons and wrists adapt. There is nothing worse then losing mobility it your hands, ask me how I know. When it's a chore to wash yourself or change gears in your car, you'll know what I mean.

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 6

Steel bending.

All my grip strength is from steel bending. Hell these past 5 months is the most I've ever touched grippers, and it's been all of about 8 times in the past 5 months. Seriously, no lie or exaggeration.

Maybe spinning wrenches for the past 16 years as a hobby has helped too. But I still say steel bending.

Chops: you're new to this bud. Take it slow, don't rush anything. If you rush you will hurt yourself catastrophicly. You could find a light 144-146 CoC3. But then the mm1 is still a 12-15lb jump (or so I've heard) and that's huge. Take it slow, let your tendons and wrists adapt. There is nothing worse then losing mobility it your hands, ask me how I know. When it's a chore to wash yourself or change gears in your car, you'll know what I mean.

Ahhhh... Thanks, This is very good advice. I tend to try and push things before i am ready. I will keep this in mind, try to avoid setbacks, and train smart.

Sometimes breaking bad training habits is the hardest part for me.

I am very new, i need to remember that....

My MMS gripper strength was the highest when I was doing a bunch of 1" vertical bar training.

Edit: I just read the last part where you say you have a back injury. I am a dick. :huh:

• Like 1

My MMS gripper strength was the highest when I was doing a bunch of 1" vertical bar training.

Edit: I just read the last part where you say you have a back injury. I am a dick. :huh:

yeah, fell on the ice last winter and landed on a pelican case on end. couldnt walk for three days, it is much better now. no limitations if i stay away from heavy lifting. Its been hell getting back in shape. Grippers is such a perfect fit because i can do these heavy, all out max movements and there is no impact to my back. I spent years sailing traditional schooners and climbing heavy lines. Always had a great grip. At one point i could do one hand/one finger pullups, and pinky pullups.

v bar stuff looks like fun, maybe in the future.

You could find a light 144-146 CoC3. But then the mm1 is still a 12-15lb jump (or so I've heard) and that's huge.

The MM1 is actually like 153lbs RGC if I had to guess. EJ you are ready for it right now. I have seen estimates in the high 150s and I believe those were probably before the MM1 had been closed several times and seasoned down. It really feels like an average #3. It has a very easy set also.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

You could find a light 144-146 CoC3. But then the mm1 is still a 12-15lb jump (or so I've heard) and that's huge.

The MM1 is actually like 153lbs RGC if I had to guess. EJ you are ready for it right now. I have seen estimates in the high 150s and I believe those were probably before the MM1 had been closed several times and seasoned down. It really feels like an average #3. It has a very easy set also.

Seriously? That's good news. I was informed it was about 160 at the max.

If you wanted something cheap to add in you could start doing sledge hammer work. you can work basically all angles of the wrist with a hammer. being able to maintain hand position never hurts.

• Like 1

Seriously? That's good news. I was informed it was about 160 at the max.

absolutely not. I read those estimates and I was shocked at how much easier it was. Watch my cert vid on my youtube channel and you can hear the shock in my voice.

Steel bending.

Ahhhh... Thanks, This is very good advice. I tend to try and push things before i am ready. I will keep this in mind, try to avoid setbacks, and train smart.

@chops: I am glad that you see the value in this advice, but I don't think it can be overstated. I would say the most beneficial kinds of auxiliary exercises are ones that target the thumbs, wrist Extensors, radial/ulnar deviators, wrist flexors, and the pronators and supinators of the lower arms. The trick will be to see where you are weak and bring that up. The thumb-pad has to be thick and powerful to set and hold the gripper; the wrist flexors allow for extra crushing power; the wrist extensors augment this extra power afforded by the wrist flexors by off-setting it (meaning if they pull in tandem they create a more stable base to crush from); radial deviator strength positively influences the strength of the thumb, index and middle fingers; ulnar deviator strength positively influences ring and pinkie finger strength; And the pronators and supinators stabilize the bones of the arm throughout this process (once again, a more stable base means more power transfer).

In addition, the biceps is your most powerful lower arm supinator, and your anconeus preforms two functions: extends the arm with the triceps, and abducts the ulna during pronation. So if you don't find some way to train your arm flexors and extensors (specifically the anconeus) you could experience some major problems with elbow pain.

I think it goes without saying that figuring out how to address all of this has to be your own personal journey. Everyone here has lots of expertise in many different areas, but what works for them may not work for you. You have to get in the trenches and figure this crap out based on your goals, your personality, and training approach. All of the above is how everyone else has addressed these issues for themselves or seen others use to address these issues. Go therefore and experiment, find what holds you back, and make it a strength.

The only practical thing I would add is that I have greatly increased my wrists' and lower arms' ability to resist compressive forces by doing a rack press lockout exercise. So now when I pick up grippers, my lower arms and wrists don't feel like they are going to bust from the pressure of the grippers.

• Like 3

Steel bending.

@chops: I am glad that you see the value in this advice, but I don't think it can be overstated. I would say the most beneficial kinds of auxiliary exercises are ones that target the thumbs, wrist Extensors, radial/ulnar deviators, wrist flexors, and the pronators and supinators of the lower arms. The trick will be to see where you are weak and bring that up. The thumb-pad has to be thick and powerful to set and hold the gripper; the wrist flexors allow for extra crushing power; the wrist extensors augment this extra power afforded by the wrist flexors by off-setting it (meaning if they pull in tandem they create a more stable base to crush from); radial deviator strength positively influences the strength of the thumb, index and middle fingers; ulnar deviator strength positively influences ring and pinkie finger strength; And the pronators and supinators stabilize the bones of the arm throughout this process (once again, a more stable base means more power transfer).

In addition, the biceps is your most powerful lower arm supinator, and your anconeus preforms two functions: extends the arm with the triceps, and abducts the ulna during pronation. So if you don't find some way to train your arm flexors and extensors (specifically the anconeus) you could experience some major problems with elbow pain.

I think it goes without saying that figuring out how to address all of this has to be your own personal journey. Everyone here has lots of expertise in many different areas, but what works for them may not work for you. You have to get in the trenches and figure this crap out based on your goals, your personality, and training approach. All of the above is how everyone else has addressed these issues for themselves or seen others use to address these issues. Go therefore and experiment, find what holds you back, and make it a strength.

The only practical thing I would add is that I have greatly increased my wrists' and lower arms' ability to resist compressive forces by doing a rack press lockout exercise. So now when I pick up grippers, my lower arms and wrists don't feel like they are going to bust from the pressure of the grippers.

That's a lot of information. ICould you list a few excersizes that could hit these key areas.

I think it depends how you grip the handles and about the diameter of the handles. If they are bigger than a gripper you miss the end range.

This is about Geralds post about grip machines.

Gripper strength only carries over to grippers,

I disagree with that statement. Though I can't personally attest to carryover in Gripsport, (though empirically, all of the dudes MM3 or above all have excellent all around grip strength), the strength of keeping the hand tightly closed is extraordinarily useful in many situations, including martial ones, carrying suitcases, grocery bags, etc. I have seen several times in my currently short grappling career where my partner was clearly surprised at my ability to not let go of them despite my clearly novice skills. Its definitely not my block weight or pinch, or hub that is giving me that very useful ability.

It seems to me that people have trouble with grippers for a couple reasons. They are extremely technical and the set can be challenging, especially if you don't have huge chest strength. Further they put a lot more stress on tendons and joints than other implements. It also seems that in general, unlike other types of lifts, more reps of an easier gripper doesn't necessarily equal closing a heavier counterpart.

Its obvious that they're something people get excited about and overtrain early on. For most of us they're a frustratingly slow endeavour, in addition to being the most CNS responsive implement. I've actually found solace in that though, as I like to rush things. I now find grippers very Zen.

I'll add my favorite exercise that I think carries over: towel hangs or pull ups.

Thanks for all of the input gentlemen.

I am not a gripper enthusiast and also nor very good at them. Something that has helped me is to include finger extension work in some form.

Seriously :blink. I've been holding back. That thing is going down soon.

Seriously :blink. I've been holding back. That thing is going down soon.

ya, I also think it depends on the ratings you are use to as well. its def around 153 when using Cannon's ratings as the reference since Cannon's ratings are fairly conservative. The set is very soft also and this is important if the set is your weak point like me. If your set is a weak point, a soft set lets you spend less energy on the set and more on the close.

Edited by Chez

Grippers were the first and only grip thing I ever did for a very long time. I was retry decent on them from the start so I'd say a background of working with my hands, weight training while never wearing straps or gloves and genetics played a roll in my success with grippers from the start.

I will say you lose it if you don't use it though. When I did the mm0 it was at a time I was using them a bit more and that was very easy and then I bought the elite rated at 166 and closed that the first few days I had it.

The last couple times I tried my elite I've missed it.

• Like 1

if the set is your weak point like me

For what grippers, the world class and hercules?? :huh:

• Like 3

Steel bending.

Ej. I just watched some of your bending videos. Pretty incredible. Very explosive. Do you do any wrist work at all to supplement that?