Rgc Ratings

MalachiMcMullen

Matt, they never pushed the gripper down. They unloaded the gripper, then lifted the stack and then gently set it back down.

Well, maybe I will try it without pushing on the gripper. Maybe that makes the big difference. I guess I will give it a shot tomorrow! I will do it with the gripper I have calibrated the hell out of, my cert #3.

I have no patience. Just tried it.

No difference. However, even a millimeter or so difference in strap placement can be 2.5 pounds.

My conclusion is that same day, same person, blind measurements are needed for any type of record. Same day same person might be good enough.

I'm surprised. I would have guessed it would matter. It seems to me if you force the gripper shut you are fine-tuning the gripper's ability to lift the weight stack. If you let the weight close the gripper by deloading and adding again, you're fine-tuning the weight's ability to close the gripper. Which, I feel is what you're actually trying to measure. I could see your numbers being lower as compared to mine based on this difference alone if everything else were equal.

Yeah, I checked it and no real difference, just getting the gripper all the way closed by weight alone seems to get the same result. I think it just shortens the process pushing the handles together, there is less back and forth with weight at the end.

Little differences can also add up- I am using 1.25 pound increments. Some of my grippers might have ended up a touch higher. I think a 5 pound error between different testers is gonna be standard.

One thing I wonder is if the actual apparatus used changes things. On Zach Coulter's #3, I got 149 (147.5 in plates). Dave got 148 (not with calibrated plates) with the same RGC- He didn't use my 1 inch strap, just the RGC itself. Chris Rice got 152.6 I believe on the same grippers. We were all pretty close.

Ben and I calibrated a gripper and I got 164 vs. his 168, pretty close.

I wouldn't mind taking a shot at your hard elite or hard 3 Matt. So far, the hardest 3 I tried was Hubgeezers, and I got 159. It might just be a 5 pound difference between us.

Only reason I think my measurements line up more with the original RGC data is because of experience and squeezing lots of grippers. As always though, I could be wrong.

I wouldn't mind taking a shot at your hard elite or hard 3 Matt. So far, the hardest 3 I tried was Hubgeezers, and I got 159. It might just be a 5 pound difference between us.

If you guys want to pass mine around, I am curious on it. The shipping cost on these experiements is making this an expensive hobby for all of us. If you have sent it back already, that's fine.

Mike

I doubt our precision in placement of the gripper in the RGC (depth and angle of set), placement of the strap, etc etc are ever going to allow identical results from time to time and place to place. I have found a difference doing it twice in a row without moving any of the pieces parts with the same weight plates. Like Bob I have 1.25# plates and one time you need them, next time you don't to close them. I don't know why or worry about it any. It's a good idea I think to have them done by a couple people if they are competition grippers especially. Calibrated plates are certainly a must - normal plates just vary way to much - it's easy to be off a couple pounds on just a single 45# plate - a few of those and results are meaningless. Even grippers that calibrate exactly the same will "feel" different due to sweep and close variances. These things vary, just the way it is!

I've only done 3 but upped the weight til it closed...backed the weight off again and saw it didn't close...re-apply and get a close...then put the whole gamut on the scales!

The weights, spacers, webbing...et al! :)

Re-weighting and lifting each time/rather than applying in situ.

I think its time, if not done already, to get a vid up of calibrating a gripper RGC style to hone and debate methods....

Brendan

RB210n -c- 107.5#

BBSM adj. - 123#

RB240n - 139#

IM#3 - 147#

PDA546 -155.5#

IM single stamped #4 - 223# all grippers calc. by Aaron

Edited by lone Wolf

mm1 replica 153 lbs(made by Aaron)

bbse (elite spring) 176 lbs calibrated by Aaron.

Edited by ewokhugo

RB210n -c- 107.5#

BBSM adj. - 123#

RB240n - 139#

IM#3 - 147#

PDA546 -155.5#

WEll Aaron was right, that #4 is PSYCHO!!! I just gave it a squeeze and it's brutal!! Btw, as Aaron probably told you, that is without a doubt THE most perfect, pristine gripper I've ever seen in my life. You're a very lucky man Robert :cool

Ewok, Aaron told me about that Elite mistake, that's really weird. I guess Warren must be slipping in his old age because you very rarely see him make that big a mistake on a gripper.

just set up the RGC caliborator, thanks to Mike ( Mlstrass)

got some grippers out and here is what i got

coc # 2 # 115

coc # 2 (2004) # 118

coc 2.5 # 126

coc 2.5 # 132

coc 2.5 # 135

coc # 3 # 147

coc # 3 # 152

coc # 3 # 156

coc# 3 around 2004 packaging # 161

bought from Dennis Rogers

coc# 3 around 2004 packaging # 167

bought from Dennis Rogers

Brand New, opened today

coc 2.5 # 133

coc # 3 # 148

coc # 3 # 152

coc # 3 # 155

HG 250 109

HG 300 140

two pics of my RGC setup in my gallery, RGC worked very well pretty happy with the results I got

now time to carry all the plates and grippers back into the basement

Heck, you got a big spread of results there. Only thing with your setup is that I didn't see a spacer- Your results can often be high.

Ewok, Aaron told me about that Elite mistake, that's really weird. I guess Warren must be slipping in his old age because you very rarely see him make that big a mistake on a gripper.

Hi Derek!

in fact i am happy with this gripper because its exactly what i need. i Think Bencrush may have another bbse with one elite spring ...not sure though.

Steve,

I didn't see any pics in your gallery, but you want to slip a 1-2" wide piece of wood between the strap just below the gripper, so the strap doesn't rub. I should have brought one for you, sorry.

no worries Mike I was happy with the caliborations and know exactly where all the grippers stand and which 2.5 I gotta do negs with next etc,

-- my HG 300 came out to be a great steup gripper once I can close my hard 2.5

next time I caliborate ill use the piece of wood between the straps and

make sure I caliborate the weight plates on a postal scale

but for now im happy to know where my collection stands

but overall the RGC is great, I had a sturdy old table that I clamped it on

truly is a great tool

RB210n -c- 107.5#

BBSM adj. - 123#

RB240n - 139#

IM#3 - 147#

PDA546 -155.5#

WEll Aaron was right, that #4 is PSYCHO!!! I just gave it a squeeze and it's brutal!! Btw, as Aaron probably told you, that is without a doubt THE most perfect, pristine gripper I've ever seen in my life. You're a very lucky man Robert :cool

Glad you got a chance to give it a squeeze Derek I also got a double stamped #4 in it's original packaging too.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. Luke was over yesterday and we re-calibrated basically everything we have and also 4 of Hubgeezer's grippers. We did two things differently:

1) We spritzed each gripper with WD-40 immediately before calibration. This made a HUGE difference on some of the grippers. Luke had never oiled most of his grippers and, not surprisingly, they dropped quite a bit. I have oiled mine many times, but I can't say for sure how recently before previous calibrations. To me, it seems like the truest test of the gripper if it's freshly oiled. It DOES seem to make a difference.

2) We were VERY careful to get exact strap placement at the end of the handle. I only mention this because we were meticulous this time around with the strap placement.

Here are the calibrations with a couple of footnotes:

Hubgeezer #2.5 ------ 134

Luke Filed #2.5 ------- 134

RB240n (2.5" spread) 139

Luke BBSM ----------- 140 (a)

Double-filed BBSM --- 142

Hubgeezer #3 -------- 152

Luke's #3 ------------- 152 (b)

Matt's #3 ------------- 153 ©

BBGM ----------------- 155

Hubgeezer #3 -------- 158

MM1 Replica ---------- 158

Filed BBGM ----------- 159

Filed HG300 ---------- 160

Filed HG350 ---------- 163

Hubgeezer #3.5 ----- 170

Matt's BBE ----------- 179 (d)

Luke's BBE ---------- 181 (e)

Hard HG350 --------- 196

(a) This previously went 154 and 157 but had never been oiled. (b) This previously went 168 but had never been oiled. © This was the really curious one. Acorn calibrated this gripper at 163.5 and I've gotten as high as 167. It has been oiled many times. However, freshly oiled, it went 153 today. (d) This previously went 182. Freshly oiled it was lower. (e) This previously went 188, and had never been oiled OR closed.

So, overall I am extremely happy with these numbers and the process of oiling the gripper immediatly before. This also makes for a scenario you can recreate. For example, in the future, I can oil my #3 and then go for a PR and count on it being as similar as possible to when I calibrated.

Always learning! And, I'm interested in feedback on these numbers too.

Matt

Our numbers look very close for the grippers now Matt. Those BBE's are pretty high, but now that every gripper isn't sky high it seems more reasonable.

On that HG350- Is that spring buried into the handles? I know the spring is huge for those grippers and is usually high as hell. I could see that happening.

Did the #3 that went down so much feel that much easier?

I agree with you about oiling the gripper.

Getting correct strap placement is a biggie. I don't have any easy way of raising the weight, but I can get it pretty accurately placed just through effort. Addding duct tape to the handle of the gripper made a huge difference for me- It allowed me to get the gripper straight up and down much easier.

Also, it is good to stress being meticulous about strap placement. Even tiny, barely noticeable differences will throw the ratings off a pound or two.

-#1 (2 and 3/4" spread)-82.0 pounds

-#1.5 (2 and 13/16")-95.8

-#2 (2 and 3/4")-115.6

-Master (2 and 7/8")-117.4

-Filed HG250 (2 and 13/16")-122.6

-PDA 262 (2 and 15/16")-123.4

-HG300 (2 and 1/4")-126.0

-#2.5 (2 and 15/16")-129.8

-Lemley (2 and 7/8")-132.4

-RB240N-136.0

-RB300N-162.0

-HG350 (2 and 13/16")-162.4

:) Not trying to run a wanted ad here, but I need a gripper from 140-150...please help me out...have horseshoes and some grippers (filed HG250, PDA 262, HG350)

Edited by TravisRush

Hey guys. Luke was over yesterday and we re-calibrated basically everything we have and also 4 of Hubgeezer's grippers. We did two things differently:

1) We spritzed each gripper with WD-40 immediately before calibration. This made a HUGE difference on some of the grippers. Luke had never oiled most of his grippers and, not surprisingly, they dropped quite a bit. I have oiled mine many times, but I can't say for sure how recently before previous calibrations. To me, it seems like the truest test of the gripper if it's freshly oiled. It DOES seem to make a difference.

2) We were VERY careful to get exact strap placement at the end of the handle. I only mention this because we were meticulous this time around with the strap placement.

Here are the calibrations with a couple of footnotes:

Hubgeezer #2.5 ------ 134

Hubgeezer #3 -------- 152

Hubgeezer #3 -------- 158

Hubgeezer #3.5 ----- 170

Always learning! And, I'm interested in feedback on these numbers too.

Matt

Bob Lipinski did these same grippers a month ago, and the results were:

IM 2.5 136

IM #3 149

IM #3 159

IM 3.5 177

Matt said that the 3.5 was REALLY creaky. It had not been used much and had never been oiled. It really changed, otherwise the numbers are pretty close, some higher, some lower.

Travis would have acquired the 240N from me, that is below listed at 136 pounds. I can tell you that the above 2.5 is FAR more difficult than the RB240N that I recently parted with. The same thing goes for the RB300N listed under Travis' posting below at 162, as that was traded to him at the same time. The #3 above at 158 /159 is tougher than the R300N of 162. To me, I think this proves that gripper difficulty is more than just the number on the RGC device. I suppose the fact that they are both "narrow" RBs makes that a little obvious, eh?

As for the brick of the 350, the spring is not buried, but the coil is wound much tighter than my other 350. A buddy at work just got a 350 last week, and it's the same way. I bet it would calibrate in the high 190's as well.

Travis, you want that 140 BBSM?

Did the #3 that went down so much feel that much easier?

Yes, both of them. I can't remember which one I attempted, but I took it WAAY down near closed. It felt totally different.