Pinch/thick Bar Same Workout?

JamesG

Anyone have any input on doing both in the same workout? Do you always program one first in the workout? The other day I had a hard time with my 2-33's so I decided to do axle instead. After Axle work I pulled the 2-33's much easier. I guess I figured Pinch after thick bar would be terrible but it didnt seem to be. What is everyone elses experience?

Guest Squat More

I guess it would all depend on the thickbar work, the pinch work, and the intensity and volume. I know I couldn't do any thickbar work after one of my Europinch sessions that would be useful in terms of any kind of gains.

Being new to grip I can't comment too definitively, but I have noticed a similar phenomenon.

There may be something to be said just for engaging the hands and the mental CNS connection. Like Jon said, this probably isn't true if the volume is high.

My thick bar workout consisted of working up to a 5rm on the axle so not much volume or a ton of forearm pump. Tonight though I put my barbell in a corner and put a fatgripz(different company but close) on it and did 1 arm barbell rows for 3x10 and then did pinch and my pinch felt strong.

I feel it useful to warmup/condition your hands before pinching. It seems to be more about fingers than forearms or wrists. Plate curls work quite fine.

Also long sets of heavy squats do help.

I find a lot of value in doing whatever comp I'm training for as a workout "once in a while". So say grippers - pinch - axle - sledge and medley - all done to a max and for both hands and sometimes twice or 3 times through the Medley portion For me anyway - the real value of this is twofold. First it increases my endurance but more often than not - 7 to 10 days later I can PR or at least have very good results in any one lift I care to test. Massive workloads done infrequently seem to work well for me when combined with my normal training which frankly isn't much in the way of grip work besides my climbing.

Looking at say Axle and Pinch and the effects "in a single session" is not the only way to look at things - it's what the combination does for you looking at it in a more long term fashion that may matter more.

• Like 1

Im sure it will be different for everyone as you will react differently to the stress of doing both to another who does it.

I guess it would all depend on the thickbar work, the pinch work, and the intensity and volume. I know I couldn't do any thickbar work after one of my Europinch sessions that would be useful in terms of any kind of gains.

Similarly, I've been doing a lot of thickbar workouts with Manus Grips and I can't imagine trying to pinch after.

James I feel yer definitely onto something as I've had the same effect doing both together!

It depends greatly on the volume though... go to a1RM then shut it down & go onto the pinch. Works well for me as I do this almost every Saturday! (Or Some kind of thick grip work) Its similar to what Chris said... like an event day I call it. Grippers-axle-pinch then hammer or whatever the comp events are! It also develops endurance... then I have a whole week to recover & do it all again! Ima new grip guy too but I feel it works well for me!