Texas Bar Or Okie Bar (deadlift)

daniel reinard

I know more about the Texas deadlift bar and have heard alot of positive feedback especially for the reasons that I want a deadlift specific bar. I haven't heard about the Okie bars and wonder if any people here have had experiences with them. I've seen them in contest videos and they seem to have a ton of flex and the competitors seemed to like it. I'm hoping some people here can weigh in on it.

I'd describe a deadlift bar as having flex so you can pull from a better position, ie you are more upright before the full load is felt. Ever deadlift max weight on an axle? That shiz is nasty off the floor. Also quite a fun challenge.

I was talking about this on saturday. some people dislike the whipiness since it bothers their elbows. I don't use the deadlift bar unless I'm working in with someone. I use either a power bar. axle, sometimes I use a squat bar.

also, the deadlift bars have super sharp knurling which hurts my baby soft hands.

Weak elbows or weak hands...it'll WHIP one into shape. :grin: Seriously though, one needs to learn to pull correctly with a whippy bar. You can't approach it with the same pull.

I do 90% of my deadlifts with an axle anyways and need a contrast to it. And I want to be a serious puller. :shuriken:

Edited by daniel reinard

daniel,

it was until your comment about axles being shorter that I realized how I was screwing my self. I had been putting an extra set of collars on the inside so I could sumo wider. good for pull, bad for axle. so, I'm bringing it in a little. hopefully it won't throw me on comp day.

I know more about the Texas deadlift bar and have heard alot of positive feedback especially for the reasons that I want a deadlift specific bar. I haven't heard about the Okie bars and wonder if any people here have had experiences with them. I've seen them in contest videos and they seem to have a ton of flex and the competitors seemed to like it. I'm hoping some people here can weigh in on it.

If you know Darrin H. chat him up on the Okie bar. He pulls on one a lot of the time and really likes it.

daniel,

it was until your comment about axles being shorter that I realized how I was screwing my self. I had been putting an extra set of collars on the inside so I could sumo wider. good for pull, bad for axle. so, I'm bringing it in a little. hopefully it won't throw me on comp day.

Having a wide axle should be ok come the time to pull big on a normal axle. Unless your axle pull is close to your max deadlift anyways. I don't mind training my normal deadlift stance because pulling sub 400s on an axle regardless of stance is not the issue.

If you know Darrin H. chat him up on the Okie bar. He pulls on one a lot of the time and really likes it.

Thanks Jason. I hadn't considered an Okie bar until recently finding out about it. I'm curious which I will like better. I'll try to find and contact him.

I've been pulling' on my Oklahoma deadlift bar since 1986. As far as spring goes it's at least as good as any other.

• 2 months later...
Guest Squat More

Yep Heltemes loves his Okie bar, and sold me on getting one in the future. Once my max DL reaches 600 I will be snatching one of those babies up.

I have competed with them and trained with them and I don't like them.

I was always fast off the floor, and with the Okie it always seemed like my fast pull got the bar bouncing and I had to re-pull at mid shin to keep it going. Just always felt awkward.

However, if you can learn to pull smooth and the same speed, they can be effective. My old training partner hit a PR in the gym of 540 then smoked 600 at the meet on the Okie! It helped him that much, and he had the shortest arms I have ever seen...

I have an off brand 1500 lb test bar. Been using it for 12 years I believe. It has very little flex at 600lbs, if any. I agree with Rick, if you're fast off the floor (I'm not), it'll hurt your pull, if you're a more steady puller, or an accelerator (me), faster above the knees, it'll really give you some. First time I pulled on one I pulled 705 for a PR & a national record. I felt like I had another 100 in me. I prefer a stiff bar for training, though.

Weak elbows or weak hands...it'll WHIP one into shape. :grin: Seriously though, one needs to learn to pull correctly with a whippy bar. You can't approach it with the same pull.

I do 90% of my deadlifts with an axle anyways and need a contrast to it. And I want to be a serious puller. :shuriken:

Daniel, What's your max DL now and with what brand bar? Non-axle that is.

Serious puller? Can you elaborate a little maybe?