Bending Slim Style.. Where To Start?

Jones1874

After reading the 'David Wigren is in the Grip Well!' thread, my plan is to do my fair share of levering, but ive really been drawn in by the idea of bending lately, so i would like to do a bit of both for the sake of variety and better wrist strength.

I started bending tonight for the first time, only DU to get a feel for that. i managed to bend ten 150 x 6.00mm round nails. these ones to be exact. im not sure if that is good or not for a beginner. i just bought the biggest nails they had.

http://www.selcobw.com/selco-round-wire-nails-150mm-2-5kg/

Id like to bend slim style aswell to work both sides evenly. its clearly difficult, (correct me if im wrong) but it seems less technical than your standard DO, and requires more effort from the wrist which is what im after.

would just like to know where to start? i tried it earlier with one of 150 x 6.00 mm round nails and it most definitely was not going to happen lol.

any feedback is appreciated as always.

Alex.

Edited by Jones1874

Yes it does put more effort in the wrists, however that's not what you really need to worry about. It puts a crazy amount of pressure and pain on the thumb joints. I'd watch some YouTube videos and try it. That style never suited me, I thought the chance of injury was too great.

Thanks for the heads up lads. in that case ill probably give it a miss. id rather be able to gradually strengthen my wrists than risk injuring them before i get started.

Yes it does put more effort in the wrists, however that's not what you really need to worry about. It puts a crazy amount of pressure and pain on the thumb joints. I'd watch some YouTube videos and try it. That style never suited me, I thought the chance of injury was too great.

slim actually lives across town from me. When talking with him he said you have to be will ing to break bones when bending. With that he showed me the opposite side of his palms and there were big nobs sticking up, he said he snapped the bones there going for big bends and thats how it healed. Looked pretty messed up.
  • Like 2

slim actually lives across town from me. When talking with him he said you have to be will ing to break bones when bending. With that he showed me the opposite side of his palms and there were big nobs sticking up, he said he snapped the bones there going for big bends and thats how it healed. Looked pretty messed up.

When I met him, we had the same philosophy regarding bending. I'm ok with breaking bones and ripping connective tissue. I'd rather not, if I can avoid it but with big bends- balls to the wall. 17 fractures total and counting.

When I met him, we had the same philosophy regarding bending. I'm ok with breaking bones and ripping connective tissue. I'd rather not, if I can avoid it but with big bends- balls to the wall. 17 fractures total and counting.

The goal is to get stronger, not weaker lol. props for the effort, but 17 fractures..

Have you seen the things I can bend? It all comes with a price

• Like 1

Have you seen the things I can bend? It all comes with a price

Yeah EJ didn't fracture his ole self bending Red Nails. A lot of the steel he's bent I could kink if you gave me a vice and metal pipes to use.

• Like 2

I think Alex was just unaware/hasent held the stuff EJ has bent. I know his character and if he'd held those things he would react differently. To be the best bender it takes that sort of do or die attitude.

• Like 2

i was joking of course :) . its only since i made this thread that ive been aware of people fracturing bones when bending steel. 17 is a LOT of fractures to have just from bending, wouldnt like to guess how many you've had in a lifetime!

im sure i would be impressed with your feats. right now, my goals are done with ease by the majority of the board members.

Question: What is the difference in terms of wrist development between taking a hammer vertical-to-nose(slim style) and a hammer on pinky side from perpendicular-to-floor to parallel-to-floor except leverage difference in different positions?

Question: What is the difference in terms of wrist development between taking a hammer vertical-to-nose(slim style) and a hammer on pinky side from perpendicular-to-floor to parallel-to-floor except leverage difference in different positions?

My guess is that 'slim style' would allow you to go heavier due to where the leverage is. more leverage or more weight, as long as technique is good = stronger wrists. please correct me if im wrong!

Edited by Jones1874

Yea 17 are a lot, I agree. But to me it's 100% worth it. From the beginning i promised myself I'd be the best and I was willing to do whatever it took. That meant experimenting with techniques, pushing my limits and eventually breaking. And fractures are no big deal you can work around them. It's when you have 5 or so in the same area, then it becomes a pain in the ass. Plus all the knowledge I have accumulated throughout the years I can now give to the new guys that want to hear it.

• Like 2

It's when you have 5 or so in the same area, then it becomes a pain in the ass.

If you are breaking the bones in your ass - I will guess you're doing it wrong :)

• Like 1

It's when you have 5 or so in the same area, then it becomes a pain in the ass.

If you are breaking the bones in your ass - I will guess you're doing it wrong :)

Touché good sir, touché

Yea 17 are a lot, I agree. But to me it's 100% worth it. From the beginning i promised myself I'd be the best and I was willing to do whatever it took. That meant experimenting with techniques, pushing my limits and eventually breaking. And fractures are no big deal you can work around them. It's when you have 5 or so in the same area, then it becomes a pain in the ass. Plus all the knowledge I have accumulated throughout the years I can now give to the new guys that want to hear it.

I know what you mean. Grip training is addictive. HOPEFULLY, this year will have less distractions and allow me to concentrate on my grip a lot more. by the end of the year i may very well have some feats worthy of a video.

Good luck with your training, hopefully this year youll bend even bigger steel and stay fracture free! :)

The biggest issue I see where people start out bending is it's all "test" and no "training". Don't worry at all about what you can do until you are doing it "right" - meaning you have all your technique and body positions dialed in. Only then start going for bigger and bigger bends.

• Like 3

The biggest issue I see where people start out bending is it's all "test" and no "training". Don't worry at all about what you can do until you are doing it "right" - meaning you have all your technique and body positions dialed in. Only then start going for bigger and bigger bends.

Exactly, Alex you need to go through hundreds of pieces of steel

so you can really be confident in your technique.

• Like 1

This happens very often. Hell, still find myself doing this. I've seen lots of benders go down this route. The Red seems to be the make or break piece for many. Guys push so hard to get it fast and right before they finally bend it, boom an injury that makes them quit. This is exactly why I preach my version and how-to get "bullet-proof" hands to guys.

You could do a lot worse than listening to EJ - well if you skip the 17 broken bones in his ass and stuff :).

This happens very often. Hell, still find myself doing this. I've seen lots of benders go down this route. The Red seems to be the make or break piece for many. Guys push so hard to get it fast and right before they finally bend it, boom an injury that makes them quit. This is exactly why I preach my version and how-to get "bullet-proof" hands to guys.

How do you mean bullet-proof your hands? do you perform certain exercises to strengthen the hands specifically for bending?

Thanks.

If possible please elaborate as im gonna need to get started in a month or so.

My version of bullet-proof hands consists of:

Tuf-foot on soft spots

Volume work with the kink day, sweep day and crush day method

Eating olive oil 2-3x a week

Table slaps on rest days

Tiger balm on fore arms

Vitamin k and vitamin c

If you guys think it would help I will go into the entire process and what worked for me and what will work for you.

• Like 2