Crushed To Dust Certification?

Magnus285

Hello all. I am new to gripboard and fairly new to grip work in general. One of my goals is to certify on ironmind's crushed to dust challenge. Do I have to wait for a contest? Or can I submit a video? If I have to wait for a contest, when and where is the next one? Is there any in or near Illinois? I would like to certify before I turn 20 in February. Any help would be appreciated!

We could set something up at after the detroit King Kong but depending on where in Illinois you are that can be a long way to travel.

Check out the grip contest section. I know there is a contest in MO end of october.

The Detroit kong kong is about 5 hours from me which isn't too bad. I can get 45lbs on the hub, and I am on the last centimeter closing the #2, and before I started my RT cycle, I pulled174lbs but I'm improving. Do you think I'll have enough time to close the #2 and pull 200 by October 25th?

The Detroit kong kong is about 5 hours from me which isn't too bad. I can get 45lbs on the hub, and I am on the last centimeter closing the #2, and before I started my RT cycle, I pulled174lbs but I'm improving. Do you think I'll have enough time to close the #2 and pull 200 by October 25th?

No, hope this helps.

I see the RT being the biggest obstacle but if you're not convincingly closing a #2 from CCS that might be a problem too.

I do wish you all the best and hope you manage it though.

So should I hold off on trying to certify? Or should I go and attempt it if I'm close? I feel like I'm close. But then again I'm very new to grip work and don't know if it is realistic that I can pull 200 and close a number 2 in 2.5 weeks.

When I am getting close to closing a goal gripper I find the last few millimetres the hardest. Another thing is lets say you have an easier #2 and at a competition they have a slightly harder one, that last cm from being closed will most likely turn to 1.5 cm or 2cm. But you never know, if you train right and you get very close to closing your #2 and gaining more on the RT then give it a go man :grin:

So should I hold off on trying to certify? Or should I go and attempt it if I'm close? I feel like I'm close. But then again I'm very new to grip work and don't know if it is realistic that I can pull 200 and close a number 2 in 2.5 weeks.

A centimeter away from a gripper close can be a really really hard gap to bridge depending on how fast you are progressing. Same goes for the RT. I went up to 185lbs fairly fast but then I just grinded to a halt.

So how far away you are from your goals really depends on a lot of stuff. How talented are you? How often do you train? Can you stay in jury free etc etc. You could be looking at a matter of weeks, but it could also be months or much much longer.

• Like 2

I've been training rolling thunder three days a week for the past 5 weeks with one week left to go in my cycle doing 3x10 with 75-80% of my current max. I haven't been training with my grippers because I figured I was farther away from pulling 200 than closing a #2. I also thought the rolling thunder gains would carry over into the grippers but I am most likely wrong on that assumption. I've also been staying injury free.

Hey man,

I don't mean to bust your balls or anything. Hopefully all of my posts on this site can back me up as saying that is not the type of person that I am. However, you are asking us questions that only you can answer. You are not going to get many good answers to questions like that.

It would be kind of like me asking you if you think my marriage will last another two years, seeing as how me and my wife have been married for eight. There are alot of unknown factors in both your question and my question you see. Based on your question, you are the only person who can give an honest opinion on any type of an answer. As Royz said above, their are many, many factors that determine how quickly you can reach your goal. We can't manipulate most of those factors, only you can. How much are you willing to train? How open are you to failure?, etc, etc.

I think a better question may be "My goal is to certify on the CTD challenge by xx date, can anyone here recommend a program that can help me get there given my current max?"

Like I said earlier, I hope this post did not come off as being a smart-ass, as that is not what I intended, But, I hope you do see our perspective when trying to answer questions like these. Again, I hope you make your goal by the date you want to. Even if not by the date you wanted, just look at the short list of names on the IM website and know that any timeframe to be certified is still a great acheivement.

Kyle

• Like 4

Kyle, you aren't coming as a smartass. I totally get what you are saying. I guess I'm going to have to just keep working on it and when it happens it happens. Thank you all for your help! I will keep you all posted on my progress.

One thing I can state as a fact, .... This board will absolutely help you attain your goal. Once you learn how to use it, it will become very valuable. Not to mention inspirational.

Good luck

Todd

• Like 1

Start doing 3x10 on the RT with about 75/80% of your max, or whatever you can lift 10 times while still making those last reps challenging....

and watch the PRs come in.. Do it 1-2 times a week... Doing that helped my RT a while back

I wouldn't think about certing until I was doing all three lifts any day of the week I felt like it. 26lbs away is a ton. It's a goal you can achieve. Just not in a few weeks time.

Edited by king crusher

I would still try to make it to dtroit anyway. good comp experience and good training session.

• Like 1

I would still try to make it to dtroit anyway. good comp experience and good training session.

Absolutely agree!

Come down to the Detroit King Kong and compete. You will be very glad you did. It'll be fun and insightful, plus competing tends to give training more purpose. For me, my grip events started making real notable progress since I began doing contests. And I think you will find that the friendly competition will push you to some good performances you might not have expected.

Whether your ready to cert or not you will still come away with something very valuable...experience.

We have a spare bedroom that we can put you up in. That will save you on the hotel and or insane driving. I've done the drive 5 hours to a contest, compeate and drive home. Not fun and I didn't get to hang out after as much as I wanted to. My guess is your close enough to. When you get in a group setting with a lot of strong guys PR's tend to come a lot easier. Plus with the #2 setting can be as big a factor as the strength and we will have a lot of experienced guys that can drop a mountain of tips on you. If youg going to come up let me know I'll contact Ironmind and hammer out the exact way I need to run a Crush to dust.

I'll let you know if i decide to come out! It sounds like an awesome time. And thanks for the room offer!