2014 International King Kong Grip Challenge - October 25th

Eric Roussin

Ill check last years scores. There is always the chance I missed something.

I'm trying to convince Igor to run a leg again this year. So far, his reply has been no, but I haven't given up.

As far as shirts, I am willing to get some done up if there is enough interest. I'll look into the related costs. In the meantime, it would be fun to see how many people would be interested in buying a shirt.

• Like 3

I will buy a minimum of 2 shirts if they get made...that's a very cool logo man!

I will definitely buy one of those awesome shirts you posted on Facebook.

• Like 1

I'll have to get a few too. :grin:

• Like 1

I'd buy one or two.

• Like 1

I would buy a shirt.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

May be able to attend this contest. Not for certain on anything but will do my best to make it to the MO venue.

Just have to start training the movements now after the MM3 cert.

• 4 weeks later...

Open Letter,

Thank you to all for the healthy discussion on the hub rules. I know at times this can be painful but in the end it’s the sort of things that will help the sport grow and flourish.

I would like to start with where the rules came from and why they were picked that way. The base of the rules on finger placement was pulled word for word from David Horne’s rules on the shallow hub. The reason for this was the allowance of the athletes to use less than five fingers in the lift, as well as the clarification on what the fingertips are. We felt that forcing the athletes to use all five fingers may limit new athletes coming into the sport. The clarification on what the fingertip is also helps to clarify what is considered the tip. Depending on the judge’s interpretation of what is the finger tip, this could be anything past the distal joint, or the area past the finger nail. It was decided to use the distal joint due to the precedent set in World’s Strongest Hands over multiple contests.

In response to the V-bar or door knob style, we spoke too soon in saying that the V-bar style would be acceptable. At the time of our discussions neither Eric nor I could figure out how to pull any appreciable weight in that style. After re-reading the rules and playing with a hub I was able to do it. So to keep this in the spirit of the claw grip, we will add two more lines to the rules for further clarification. First “the three fingertips must start in contact with the rim of the hub”. This was something we incorrectly assumed was a requirement of the lift. This addition combined with “The devise will need to start level and once left the ground as level as possible (within 20 degrees of horizontal), excessive tilting will not be allowed.” We hope this will clarify and eliminate the V-bar style from hub lifting. A perfect example of less than 20 degree tilt is in Juha’s video of hub lifting techniques before the 1:02 minute mark.

At this point we are going to have to freeze the rules with the proposed changes to allow athletes a full 32 days to train to their maximum, both in strength and technique that fits their unique build. We hope all promoters and athletes find these rules clear and acceptable. Good luck and I hope to see everyone at this year’s contest, let’s work together to make this the largest grip event to date.

Regards,

Andrew Pantke

Rules:

Juha’s Examples:

IronMind Hub: King Kong Rules

Only the Hub is to be grasped. To keep this lift within the spirit of the Hub Lift (proper ‘claw’ style), only the fingertips of the thumb, index and middle fingers are to grasp the Hub. The three fingertips must start in contact with the rim of the hub. The fingertips are the distal phalanges. The other two fingers may oppose, or not be on at all. These are the fingers that grasp slightly slanted. The devise will need to start level and once left the ground as level as possible (within 20 degrees of horizontal), excessive tilting will not be allowed. In the spirit of claw lifting no part of the palm or thumb pad of the hand should come in contact with the hub. The device must be lifted to lock-out, which will be demonstrated by complete extension and a finished lift. Part of this is showing control at the top—that's what will trigger the referee's down signal. Athletes must await the referee’s down signal before returning the device back to the platform all the while maintaining the grip/contact with hub. The free hand may NOT be used to brace against the opposing leg.

Source of the rules:

David Horn Blue

Original Kong Rules Black

Iron Mind Orange

New Green as 9/23/2014

International King Kong Grip Challenge – Rules

General Rules

All competitors must weigh in on a point calibrated or certified calibrated scale no earlier than two hours before the start of the competition.

All weights and devices must have been weighed on a calibrated scale.

All weights recorded in the scoresheet are to include the weight of the device (including loading pin, collars, etc.).

All venues to run the events in the same order:

• 1st – One Hand Pinch (Euro Device)
  • 2nd – One Hand Axle Deadlift (Apollon’s Axle)
  • 3rd – IronMind Hub (new version)
  • 4th – Little Big Horn (new version)

The competitor can decide which hand to use for each event, but once a first attempt is made on a given lift, he/she cannot switch hands for subsequent attempts.

Up to 4 attempts are allowed for each event. The amount of weight attempted must rise or stay the same for each subsequent attempt.

Personal Equipment Specifications

Clothing: Clothing will consist of trousers, shorts or a skirt for a woman for the lower half. For a top a t-shirt, sweatshirts or long sleeved shirts may be worn after showing that no illegal bracing

is worn on the wrists or elbows. One piece lifting suits are allowed. Gloves are not allowed to be worn when lifting. No inappropriate writings or pictures are allowed.

Footwear: Feet must be covered – minimum footwear will be socks.

Belts: Lifting belts are allowed and may be of rubber, nylon, or leather.

Wrist Wraps: Wrist wraps/bands of any kind are not allowed.

Elbow Sleeves: Non-adjustable elbow sleeves are allowed.

Knee Sleeves: Knee sleeves and/or braces are allowed.

Wraps/Bandages: Contingent upon prior approval by the Referee medical tape may be applied to bodily injuries in a fashion that would not grant the lifter an undue advantage.

Only chalk is allowed on the lifters hands. No foreign substances may be applied to the equipment. This takes into account all substances other than chalk, or a sterile agent which may be used periodically in the cleaning of the equipment, or platform.

Event-Specific Rules

One Hand Pinch Lift:

This is the same as the two hands version, except it is with one hand. The loading bar can and no doubt will hit your leg at some point, this is fine. The width of the pinch apparatus is adjustable to suit different hand sizes, but to keep it within the spirit of a pinch lift the minimum width allowed is the 2 outer steel discs and 2 rubber spacer discs, a width of 24mm. Before the event starts, you will be given the opportunity to try it and find your best width. The smooth-sided, adjustable-width disc is held on a 2” thick metal rod by a pair of collars. Extra weights will be added to the outsides. The top of this is grasped with an overhand pinch grip and lifted until the end of the bar touches a horizontal bar placed at 16.5”, measured from the underside of the bar to the floor. There is no referee’s signal. You do not have to be erect upon completion. You must lower the weight under control. If the outer discs accidentally touch the bar before the bar itself, referee’s discretion will be used to judge whether the correct height was attained. Pinch gripping the discs using an unorthodox underhand grip will not be allowed. The free hand may NOT be used to brace against the opposing leg.

Additional equipment rules:
1. The apparatus has to be loaded with the same number of discs on each side, in the same order, and has to weigh the same (max 1k tolerance between the total weight of the weights at the front, and weights at the rear).
2. The heaviest discs should be loaded nearest to the adjustable pinch discs themselves.
3. The spacer/collars that hold the inside adjustable discs together should be the same length.
4. The discs added should be smaller in height than the adjustable discs you grasp, so that the view of the lifter’s hands is not totally obscured, and the lift starts from the proper height.

If the competitor cannot lift the empty apparatus with one hand, a two-hand lift may be performed. The weight lifted will be divided by two, and this number must not exceed the base weight of the empty apparatus. Maximum credit given for a two-hand lift is the weight of the empty apparatus, minus one pound. For example, the base weight for the Euro Device used at the venue is 40 lbs. Competitor A can lift 40 lbs one handed. Competitor B cannot lift the base device with one hand, but can lift 90 lbs with two hands. Competitor B will be given credit for a 39-lb lift (even though dividing by two equals 45 lbs). In the scoresheet, please include the final amount after calculation – Competitor A = 40 lbs and Competitor B = 39 lbs). It may be a good idea to include notes for anyone who does the lift with two hands, just for clarity.

One Hand Axle Deadlift:

The bar may either be raised in front of the lifter, or the lifter may straddle the bar. Hook gripping is not permitted. The free hand may be used to brace against the opposing leg. Foot spacing is optional, but may not change once the lift begins. Heels and toes may rise. The bar must be raised to a point where both ends of the bar are pulled to a height of mid knees or above and the legs must be straightened. The shoulders do not have to be pulled erect, nor the body straight as long as the legs are straight and the bar motionless with both ends above the knee joint. The lift ends with the referee's signal, and then you must lower the weight under control.

IronMind Hub: King Kong Rules

Only the Hub is to be grasped. To keep this lift within the spirit of the Hub Lift (proper ‘claw’ style), only the fingertips of the thumb, index and middle fingers are to grasp the Hub. The three fingertips must start in contact with the rim of the hub. The fingertips are the distal phalanges. The other two fingers may oppose, or not be on at all. These are the fingers that grasp slightly slanted. The devise will need to start level and once left the ground as level as possible (within 20 degrees of horizontal), excessive tilting will not be allowed. In the spirit of claw lifting no part of the palm or thumb pad of the hand should come in contact with the hub. The device must be lifted to lock-out, which will be demonstrated by complete extension and a finished lift. Part of this is showing control at the top—that's what will trigger the referee's down signal. Athletes must await the referee’s down signal before returning the device back to the platform all the while maintaining the grip/contact with hub. The free hand may NOT be used to brace against the opposing leg.

IronMind Little Big Horn:

Athletes must grip the Little Big Horn as you would grip the horn of an anvil. The device must be lifted to lock-out, which will be demonstrated by complete extension and a finished lift. Part of this is showing control at the top—that's what will trigger the referee's down signal. The device must be returned back to the platform all the while maintaining the grip/contact with horn. The free hand may NOT be used to brace against the opposing leg.

• Like 4

Great right up Andrew !! Thanks to all of you involved in taking the time to get this figured out. Hope this cools things down. Look forward to seeing everyone including Juha compete ! Definitely sounds like things are headed in a better direction. Nice job fellas !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We've just learned that Adam Glass will not be able to host this contest in Denton, Texas. The good news is that he plans to compete at the Forth Worth venue.

If anyone wants to compete, but is unsure who to contact for specific venue information, please let me know.

• Like 1

Update: We are adding a Master class (50+) to the contest this year. There will be medals for the top three overall finishers who are 50 years of age or older. Also the metals are due in this Friday when I get them I'll post some pics.

The Prizes are in for the King Kong. We have metals for all the classes and a banner for the "King Kong".

King Kong Metals 2014

King Kong Banner 2014

• Like 6

Eric, did the t-shirts ship to Sweden?

Yes, your package shipped out on October 1st. However the package was sent via surface shipping, as the cost was too high for airmail. I expect you will receive your shirts any day now.

• Like 1