Double Underhand Technique Help

JoshW

60D - DU in one IMP ^

As some of you may know I've dabbled in reverse before, but want to add in a double underhand bending day to my routine. Sorry I have nothing harder to try but it was either this or a G5 attempt and that would have been nasty!

Pointers on technique would be much appreciated, I have never really tried DU. All my bending strength is in my reverse style :D

That's weird...just today I decided I'm going to start DU. I'm not the person to ask...however.

Here's a couple of short primers.

http://www.adamtglass.com/2007/10/24/double-under-hand-short-bending/

http://irongripworld.ru/index.php/en/steel-bending/bending-styles/16-content-en/72-underhand

Any DU vids from Ivan, E.J. or Justin should be helpful.

• Like 1

That's weird...just today I decided I'm going to start DU. I'm not the person to ask...however.

http://irongripworld.ru/index.php/en/steel-bending/bending-styles/16-content-en/72-underhand

Seems like we had the same idea haha! It's something I've never tried before and its always fascinated me. Il definitely have to study J.T, Ivan and EJ. Never knew EJ did much DU!

• Like 1

Never knew EJ did much DU!

Yeah I think he started that way (hell he can correct me if I'm wrong)..Ben Edwards too if I remember correctly.

Additionally Paul Knight and Chad Rickiki had some pretty serious DU bends on YT.

I'd just say to try and take it slow and steady. Right after my Red Cert I tried to jump right into DU and jacked my wrist up for months. Apparently my wrist strength hadn't kept up with my general strength.

• Like 1

Yeah I think he started that way (hell he can correct me if I'm wrong)..Ben Edwards too if I remember correctly.

Additionally Paul Knight and Chad Rickiki had some pretty serious DU bends on YT.

I'd just say to try and take it slow and steady. Right after my Red Cert I tried to jump right into DU and jacked my wrist up for months. Apparently my wrist strength hadn't kept up with my general strength.

Think I will work on bending a few 5" 60Ds once or twice a week before attempting some of my G5's, I feel as if my wrists are more vulnerable in DU. Il have to visit your log more often to see how your DU is going ;) thanks mate.

Edited by JoshW

Lol. same here as it goes.. i think im getting way ahead of myself though. i havent even got into that program you recommended for me yet Josh .. im gonna keep it smart though and stick to the WD for now. dont want to get any injuries while ive been making progress since ive got back into it.

starting that program tomorrow .. with the white spring .. :grin:

Edited by Jones1874

Nate is right. DU is what I began bending with in 2000. It was always my favorite style. I was not always very strong in the DU style. I ended my bending "career" in 2008. I certified on the Fantastic both DO and DU. The DU was Modified DU.

I would recommend learning the strict DU style before learning the Modified DU style. The stricter DU work will get your tendons ready for the harder steel you'll soon be bending with the much more leverage-enhanced Modified DU bending style.

• Like 2

Nate is right. DU is what I began bending with in 2000. It was always my favorite style. I was not always very strong in the DU style. I ended my bending "career" in 2008. I certified on the Fantastic both DO and DU. The DU was Modified DU.

I would recommend learning the strict DU style before learning the Modified DU style. The stricter DU work will get your tendons ready for the harder steel you'll soon be bending with the much more leverage-enhanced Modified DU bending style.

Ben, would you mind giving a quick rundown of what the difference is between the strict DU and the modified DU?

if the info is already in another thread or someone has made a video about it can you point me in the right direction please?

i think i might add some DU into my routine with low volume/frequency to spice up my current routine, as well as the fact that this is the style of bending that appeals to me the most, so i would like to advance in it at some point.

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Jones1874

Modified DU was described best as "upside down DO." The pads are wrapped out on the ends of the bar.

Strict or traditional DU involves the pads close together near the center of the bar. And in my way of performing it, a lot more wrist flexion vs. Modified DU where I locked my wrists into place (or tried to) and let my chest and shoulders do the heavy work. The hands and wrists were what the power was transmitted through in Modified DU. In strict DU, the hands and wrists were the prime movers AND the transmitters of force.

• Like 3

looks like you are going for the modified du, i really cant offer any type of suggestions on that. when i started bending i was bending DU traditional. I agree with everything Ben said.

here is a piece of calibrated 390 DR. i did get up to around 420 before i started having wrist and connective tissue pains. i was literally a couple months away from bending a red DU

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 1

Thanks Ben for distinguishing between the two styles. I wasn't sure which I was doing as I was using just one IMP.

Awesome stuff EJ, that was strong for sure. always have a lot of respect for anyone who has bent hard stock DU!

so basically I need to keep my hands closer in when I bend to do it traditional style?

Going to keep bending this style in one IMP instead of singles as when I start bending harder stock it won't be as painful :D

• Like 1

Yes sir. Hands close to chest and shrug shoulders as high as possible. I used to drag my knuckles down my chest to keep everything tight.

Be careful of Injuring your webs and wrap the bar so your pinkies are not on bare steel.

• Like 2

Solid advance my friend. Will have to experiment around with this technique.

I want to try at some point a barehand 60D bend but I think the volume work at this level will build up a lot of pain tolerance for later on! But I will be careful about wrapping each end properly as it hurts most not on my pinky but on the ends where my palm is

• Like 1

Glad you made this thread Josh. and thanks to everyone who chimed in. its been a big help.

• Like 2

No worries, I needed help before I got into bad habits so I'm glad it helped you out also! Hope to see some bends from you soon :)

& cheers for that Tom!

Might try a barehand 60D tomorrow.

• Like 1

Barehand 60d is a tough bend. Actually very advanced. It's very very very painful. I'm not saying "don't do it" I'm just saying "be careful" and know you are getting into painful shit. A barehanded 60d is advanced for me. If I was you I'd try some g2 bolts IF I was hell bent on bare hand bending.

• Like 2

Barehand 60d is a tough bend. Actually very advanced. It's very very very painful. I'm not saying "don't do it" I'm just saying "be careful" and know you are getting into painful shit. A barehanded 60d is advanced for me. If I was you I'd try some g2 bolts IF I was hell bent on bare hand bending.

I am a bit worried about this one as possible nerve damage etc but I might try cutting back how much of a single IMP I use until eventually no wrap at all. Think mentally I can take it but I don't want to ruin my hands before I finish the bend..anyway I will see how it goes

I am a bit worried about this one as possible nerve damage etc but I might try cutting back how much of a single IMP I use until eventually no wrap at all. Think mentally I can take it but I don't want to ruin my hands before I finish the bend..anyway I will see how it goes

You never know until you try. But nerve damage? Really? That's not an issue. Your hands are made to be beaten. I've bent so much stuff, and I have zero nerve damage. Mentally I don't think you can take the pain. I'm being honest based in your bending experience you have posted on here. If you are hell bent on bending bare hand I'll send you some green nails on the sole condition you will post any and all videos of the attempts. You will see its way harder than you think.

I'm not trying to beat you down, I'm speaking from years of pain and experience. You need more bends under your belt.

You never know until you try. But nerve damage? Really? That's not an issue. Your hands are made to be beaten. I've bent so much stuff, and I have zero nerve damage. Mentally I don't think you can take the pain. I'm being honest based in your bending experience you have posted on here. If you are hell bent on bending bare hand I'll send you some green nails on the sole condition you will post any and all videos of the attempts. You will see its way harder than you think.

I'm not trying to beat you down, I'm speaking from years of pain and experience. You need more bends under your belt.

No offence taken. I might have to take you up on that offer! Are the ends of a green like a red nail?

Yes all the ends of all IM nails are rough. But the green is 3/16" and it's tough.

I'm with E.J. on the Barehanded bending.

Personally, I don't like saying this out loud so-to-speak, but I can barely get through 3/16 x 6" crs barehanded.

I've tried 1/4" crs barehanded several times but can never do too much damage to it. Granted I don't specialize in barehanded but in my experience it is very tough!

Maybe I should just stick to one IMP for now and toughen up my hands for some real man shit later on. Appreciate the advice Frank and EJ, it is something I'd like to chase later on for sure :)

Would reducing the amount of wrap I use gradually be a good method?

Id leave it for now Josh, you've been making good progress so dont slow it down by being too hasty. im exactly the same.. theres been times where people have given me solid advice and i went against it because i got too caught up on the idea of it. as its been said, i really dont mean any offence by this, just want you to keep on making gains.

i recently done a bit too much too soon thats why i thought id chime in. cant pin-point what exercise it was, but ive strained my wrist a little bit so i might have to have a week or so off.. best to keep it safe for now. no doubt you'll get there eventually, your still young and considerably strong for your age so theres pleanty of time :)

• Like 2