Table Curl Question

popeye76

it also depends how tall the plates are, if you are actually on a table (vs the end of a table/bench which is how I do it) and using bigger plates on the dumbbell then you are starting higher and it's much easier

it also depends how tall the plates are, if you are actually on a table (vs the end of a table/bench which is how I do it) and using bigger plates on the dumbbell then you are starting higher and it's much easier

Also, too many small plates can cause the bar to wobble. This can take out a lot of momentum and have a huge impact on the weight and number of reps.

Here are some interesting quotes from the NE board.

It is no wonder Al Turner was the king of the table curls and perhaps the greatest arm wrestler BB (before Brzenk):

Al's favorite excersie table curls he's up in
attic gym he would do 4 sets of 10 along
with other forearm excercises would work
out 3 to 4 times a week 4 to 5 hours a night

Yes he did use a pad in other pictures. he used a kind of
sponge pad holding the pad so it wouldn't slip in the color
picture I took of him doing 200 lbs counting collars,bar and
weights. When he curled it he did it 10 times the most incredible
thing I ever saw.

http://www.northeastboard.com/thread/5769/al-turner?page=5

• 1 year later...

I injured my shoulder in June 2015 so this impacted training for the following six months.

I was very pleased to get 166.4 x 4 today (right only) and did a total of six sets with that weight, ranging from 1 to 4 reps (final set was 2 reps).  I also did 116.4 x 14 left. This is the most I have done since 1997 when I was at my strongest in a hook.

I was going through some old training diaries and came across probably my last table curl training session until 2015 (see attached) - it was dated 8-30-1997 and recorded six sets of 1-2 reps with 185 pounds. I was so much stronger back then but I believe I will catch up and surpass that at some point.

untitled.png

• 4 weeks later...

I made some good progress today and it seems my memory is also almost as good as it was when I was 25.

Today's table curls were right arm only since left was hurting:

76.4 x 25

76.4 x 25

96.4 x 15

116.4 x 10

171.4 x 2

171.4 x 2

171.4 x 1

171.4 x 1

171.4 x 1

171.4 x 1

146.4 x 9

146.4 x 7

I could have finished with several more sets of 1 but was running out of time. I am guessing that my one rep max is probably 180 right now. Oddly enough, the 1-2 rep with the heavier weights feels less stressful on the joints and muscles.

I finished off with light back pressure work on a machine.

The night before, I used heating pad and I use ice during training and up until 48 hours afterwards.

The best exercise to do between these sessions is V-Bar lat pulldowns. So in one week, I will blast V-Bar lat pulldowns for 2-3 hours. Then in two weeks, I am going for 176.4 pounds for 1-3 reps for as many sets as I can handle.

Obviously, to be good at arm wrestling, you still need to work hand, pronation, rotation, finger tip pressure, back pressure and endurance. This is great for the hook though.

Still a long way from the elites as far as the table curl.

I recall reading in Milo that John Bounardo (can't recall correct spelling) - an elite level 200-pound puller and multiple world champion from the 1980s - did 180 x 10.

Virgil Arciero is a top superheavyweight from the 1970s who did 175 x 15 according to an arm wrestling blog.

Al Turner had the record of 217 and used to rep 200 pounds according to one witness on the Northwest board.

The record seems to be the 218 that Alexey Voevoda did.

Edited by G-Man

• 2 weeks later...

Today was the second to last day on a Creatine cycle:

76.4 x 25

76.4 x 25

96.4 x 15

116.4 x 10

176.4 x 1R

176.4 x 2R

176.4 x 1R

176.4 x 2R

176.4 x 1R

146.4 x 10R

116.4 x 25R/10L

My max is almost certainly 180+ now.

My left side is slightly injured so I could not go all out.