Outside The Legs Swings

Mike Sharkey

Interesting exercise bro.

Might have to try this one !

If you have plates with holes in them, you can try that too. Seriously watch your knees.

I never understood the purpose of these... isn't decreasing hip involvement kind of killing the entire point of the exercise?

I never understood the purpose of these... isn't decreasing hip involvement kind of killing the entire point of the exercise?

English please lol.

Are you referring to swings outside the legs specifically - which I have really never seen anyone but Mike do, or do you mean GS style swings in general? Perhaps you are thinking of the "hip thrust-American-swing", which is not a swing at all.

What do you consider the point of a swing? If you try these, you will see the muscles that they work.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

Interesting exercise. But wouldn't just holding them in a shrug type static hold do the same and give you way less chance of injury? I see this is a multi-joint movement. But could this potentially damage the rotator cuff and back? The weight is heavy and you're obviously not doing it for cardio.

Interesting exercise. But wouldn't just holding them in a shrug type static hold do the same and give you way less chance of injury? I see this is a multi-joint movement. But could this potentially damage the rotator cuff and back? The weight is heavy and you're obviously not doing it for cardio.

Ooooh that sounds good too. I actually like movements that take my arms behind my body, however, as I feel like they are contraspecific to all the pushing and pulling we do in front. I love hack squats and I just picked up 600# Btb with Eagle Loops.

Ballistic movements are inherently more dangerous for the back yes definitely, but I didn't start out swinging with this weight, or for that matter with 2 bells.

I have done alot swings to build up to this point. With one bell, if I switch hands often enough that the grip isn't taxed, I can do more than 1000 :blink at this weight.

Also with GS type swings, you are really working to make the movement as efficient and effortless as possible, so there are 2 or 3 spots in the pendulum where they are weightless.

I'm definitely going to test out a static barbell shrug though. That sounds very interesting, thanks for the idea.

You are gonna love eagle loops. I do pull ups with them and they really rip my hands apart (in a good way). You know what you're talking about, so I'm sure you are safe and don't get hurt and you've built an impressive base. I'm a huge fan of isos and static holds. They really tax my body.

On a side note: eagle loops + negative pull ups = greatness

You are gonna love eagle loops. I do pull ups with them and they really rip my hands apart (in a good way). You know what you're talking about, so I'm sure you are safe and don't get hurt and you've built an impressive base. I'm a huge fan of isos and static holds. They really tax my body. On a side note: eagle loops + negative pull ups = greatness

Coool. Yeah the Loops are dope. I was trying out some two finger pull ups in different combinations. Honestly, the only thing that feels dangerous about this exercise for me is the bells will throw you around a little bit from time to time, and its easy to smack your knees. THAT effing hurts.

I am actually testing out some SCT (Static Contraction Training). Too soon to really tell anything results wise, but I also have a particular fondness for isos :whistel

English please lol.

Are you referring to swings outside the legs specifically - which I have really never seen anyone but Mike do, or do you mean GS style swings in general? Perhaps you are thinking of the "hip thrust-American-swing", which is not a swing at all.

What do you consider the point of a swing? If you try these, you will see the muscles that they work.

Ah yes... I practice hardstyle swings for conditioning purposes and forget about things like GS. The movement is the same but that's where the similarity ends; HS uses swings as a means to an end and GS uses swings as an end themselve or as assistance exercise for the KB snatch[correct me if I'm wrong about GS]

I've tried outside of the leg swings before, but in my mind the swings purpose is for overall systemic conditioning with a large emphasis on the posterior chain. The posterior chain is de-emphasized[but obviously somewhat still comes into play] with outside the legs swings and the traps and delts come more into play... I just think that there is better exercise selection for those two groups. Hip hinge patterns cannot be hit many ways without high rep deadlifts or throwing exercises... I don't know it's just weird and I'm babbling.

Also, eagle loops rule... I'm training weighted chins with them now and I think that it should make progessions for one arm one finger chins extremely straight foward.

Unlike many who practice GS, I have nothing intrinsically against "hardstyle" swings. They serve a certain function and I test them from time to time as well. However, you aren't going to be able to do near the volume of a GS style swing for conditioning. And yes, GS swings are both an end in and of themselves, and also an assistance exercise to the clean & the snatch. Done right, they also condition the bicep tendon to be extraordinarily strong. I think the American swings, as they are coming to be known, are actually a great assistance exercise for deadlifting, as they mimic the hip motion.

Personally I find the GS swing uses the posterior chain more than the hip thrust style. Here's a quick video I did for JT.

It should be noted, that I have never seen a GS athlete do swings outside the legs. I picked that up from Mike Mahler. Most GS athletes are quite dogmatic & focused singularly on the sport movements. I was too for a time, but ultimately my goals were broader than that.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

I'd pass out from hyper-ventilating lol!

I'd pass out from hyper-ventilating lol!

Actually, mastering a proper breathing pattern is the key to GS. It more about breath and alignment then it is about weightlifting, IMO

In some of the older KB vids on Youtube, the Russians do outside the leg swings but with a bit more height if I recall. Swings in general are a good cardio builder, but I have to say I prefer snatches. Presently, I haven't been doing either for months, because it seemed high vol kb work would put a dent in my grip training, and I was training for a contest. Time to get back to them, though, summer is coming and I'll need the endurance for the heat.

In some of the older KB vids on Youtube, the Russians do outside the leg swings but with a bit more height if I recall. Swings in general are a good cardio builder, but I have to say I prefer snatches. Presently, I haven't been doing either for months, because it seemed high vol kb work would put a dent in my grip training, and I was training for a contest. Time to get back to them, though, summer is coming and I'll need the endurance for the heat.

I haven't really had an issue with high volume swings hurting my grip... then again I train it with a pretty low frequency generally.

I noticed it when I was doing 1-2 sessions/week of VWC snatches. 15-18 intervals of 16 snatches/int (36:36 program), with the 53# bell were starting to effect my grip. I also have to wear gloves to keep my callouses/skin intact. Sometimes I was mixing in 62# bell or 70# bell for lower # of intervals as well. Amazing metabolism boost, not something to do anywhere's close to bedtime.

I noticed it when I was doing 1-2 sessions/week of VWC snatches. 15-18 intervals of 16 snatches/int (36:36 program), with the 53# bell were starting to effect my grip. I also have to wear gloves to keep my callouses/skin intact. Sometimes I was mixing in 62# bell or 70# bell for lower # of intervals as well. Amazing metabolism boost, not something to do anywhere's close to bedtime.

I forgot to mention that I use a T-handle for swings and have covered the handles in duct tape... it makes it easier on the skin. I also have pretty thick skin on my hands... it's a family trait.