Deadlift Training Videos From Tonight

king crusher

Well I'm fairly happy with tonight's deads. I herniated a disc in early 2012 and stopped squating and dead lifting for a long while.

I have dabbled with it hear and there pulling between. 455-495 only a couple of times in over two years.

Last week I pulled 455 for two singles belt less very easy so this week I hit five plates pretty easy as well.

I tried for 545 for the first time since early 2012 and missed it but did break it off the ground without too much trouble. My all time PR deadlift is 565. And 545 off a 5in deficit @223bw.

Today I also held 495 for 30sec for some grip work and then messed around with one hand deads on a bar with no center knurling which makes it hard to find center. Did. 265. Not a max for this today.

Here's my YouTube. Latest five vids are from tonight.

Even the fail vid. Lol

http://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1xoZZ4HiIBmMkWL1d2IJ9A/playlists

It keeps linking to playlist. Not sure why. Just click on videos.

Edited by king crusher
  • Like 1

Very nice deadlifting!

How did you herniate your disc?

Thanks Eric. It actually let loose doing a light set of squats. I was doing a set of ten with 225 and on rep 9 bam!! I could barely rack it. Then I barely got into my house and into bed before the numbing turned to immobilizing pain. I literally could not walk for 3 days. Had to crawl. Then could barely limp for a few days after. Wore a back brace for a couple weeks to work. Horrible times.

It was a long time coming. Training wrong. Doing 500 plus pound pulls every 7 days belt less. And really not eating enough calories. It eventually takes it's toll.

My belt is actually too loose I realized today. I have to adj it a size smaller for next time.

I guess some wouldn't consider me a purist for always wearing a belt on heavy pulls, but I've never been injured deadlifting, other than a minor lat pull I suffered last year as I was eating next to nothing preparing to compete at Grip Nationals in a lighter weight class. Maybe it's just anecdotal, but it's interesting how my personal experiences dovetail with what you're saying. I would on rare occasions pull heavy beltless, usually after reading an article on the merits of it, but I would always go back to the belt in short order. I like the way it feels, and I don't think my back or abdominal strength has really suffered.

Have you made any adjustments to your deadlift form post-injury?

I actually don't like the feel of my belt on deads but I like it on squats. It feels like it's getting in my way.

Yes, I have made changes. I used to almost stiff leg my pulls with no help from my legs. You can actually see an old pull of. 550 on my YouTube. That was a week before my 565pr which I didn't get on film.

Now I try to squat down into my pull and get tighter before my pull. Helping use legs. I still need to get tighter before hand but it's a never ending learning curve for us all.

Edited by king crusher

Nice lifts, congrats on being able to get back to heavy lifting!

Dealing with the same issue you went through so I can relate (unfortunately).

Even when/if I get completely healed up don't know that I'll be going heavy like I used to out of fear of getting re-injured.

Thanks. You will get back there you have to just take it slow. Listen to your body.