Reinard's Grip Training

daniel reinard

Big workout today, a bit of everything. I was sick this weekend so that may have played a part in most my excersises being weak. Either that or my muscles are tired. :upsidedwn

Grippers

1 set #1 x 5 rep no set

1 set #2 x 2 rep no set

4 set #3 x 1 rep MMS attempts, RH ~.3" still

1 set #2.5 x 1 rep no set attempt

2 set #3.5 x 1 rep negatives

Bending

1x 60d nail

1x 606 nail cut to 5.5"

1x 19/64" x 7" O1 drill rod crushed to 1.1" A 7" PR. Now I can try my 390lb and 395lb cal'd 19/64" stock to verify where I'm at. The whole bend was find EXCEPT the 90 degree part. I did a ton of ISO work last bending workout at that 90 degree part so I wonder if I can tire more just at certain parts?

RT

1 set 96.5 x 5 second hold

1 set 141.5 x 1 rep

2.5 set 141.5 x 5 rep couldn't finish set no matter how much I tried.

IM hub

5 set 40lb x 5 second holds

Climbing toprope

11b, 11c, 11d, 11d, 11b, 11b, 11b

Nothing felt strong today. Actually I felt a bit weak at everything. I climbed until I couldn't hold on any more. I think climbing is a good cooldown workout since I don't feel too sore the next day even though I can feel how tired my arms are.

Whew what a workout , you got it all covered here :laugh nice

Thanks Ben. I just finished up "Week 3 Day 3 ISOs" today. Man, I felt totally weak and I hurt at all the joints today. Some days good, others just tougher.

Thanks Big T. I think I'll do that workout once a week. The rest of the week just grippers, bending and occasional climbing. I really love that my arms aren't sore, just tired. No lactic acid.

Today's bending with ISO as focus

2x 7.5"x1/4" CRS

1x 7"x17/64" O-1 DR

1x 7"x19/64" O-1 DR cal'd 395lb fail. got a wobble. Thought I'd do a BB cert on this as I've done my Fastenal 19/64" before. But today's a fail.

5x 7"x5/16" HRS ISO work I got a wobble last time I tried this but today no movement.

3x Red Nail cheated to 6.75" ISO work May have got a knats ass movement on this

1x Red Nail cheated to 3" I was able to crush this down to 1.5" in 5 minutes. Most time spent from 2" to 1.5".

I'm happy to know I can finish off a Red, but it assured me my kink is the weak link. Must be all the O-1 DR I use. I wish CRS came in more sizes.

I think I'll do one more week of grip and bending after this week and then I'll take a week of deload. I did one after the first 2 months of grip work I did and I'm about due for another.

Not such a good workout. Grippers RH felt decent (still stagnent) but LH hurts. Bending for volume today. Good thing because I had zero power. I tried some bigger pieces I've wobbled but nothing today. I was going to do one more week of grip before a deload week but might as well start today. Let's see if I can keep from picking up a gripper.

Grippers

1 set #1 x 5 rep no set closes

1 set #2 x 1 rep MMS

5 set #3 x 1 rep MMS attempts, ~.3" RH

3 set #3.5 x 1 rep negatives RH only, LH hurting

1 set #2.5 x 1 rep no set attempts

1 set #2 x 3 rep no set attempts RH only

Volume Bending Day

3x 8"x1/4" CRS

1x 8"x1/4" O1

1x 7"x1/4" O1

1x 6"x1/4" O1

2x 8"x17/64" O1

2x 7"x17/64" O1

Not to bad of an idea buddy. I also think that the quality of recovery time matters. After my vacation I didn't feel that much stronger, but I had no problem

in keeping my #3 closed. My vacation was quite relaxed. I've took a week rest later on while beeing very busy in every day life and such, and I felt that one week of rest didn't do that much really. Don't know of there's correlation between that, but it's something to think about.

Not to bad of an idea buddy. I also think that the quality of recovery time matters. After my vacation I didn't feel that much stronger, but I had no problem

in keeping my #3 closed. My vacation was quite relaxed. I've took a week rest later on while beeing very busy in every day life and such, and I felt that one week of rest didn't do that much really. Don't know of there's correlation between that, but it's something to think about.

Even though you might take a week off from workouts, diet and sleep still have a big impact on recovery.

Was supposed to take a full week off but you know how that goes. 5 days was enough.

Wednesday 12/1

Light gripper workout, just a warmup and a few #3 attempts. Getting closer MMS, ~.2" now.

Small bending workout. A couple 60ds DO and Rv terminator style. Finish off a 7" cal'd 335lb bar I had. Did some other smaller stuff, 17/64" O1 etc.

Thursday 12/2

For some reason I wanted another small bending session despite the climbing comp I have on Friday.

Did some more 60ds DO and terminator style. Did a 17/64" O1. Finally got a 5/16" x 8" G2 bolt.

Friday 12/3 Today

Bouldering comp. 5 best climbs were 4 V5s and a V6. My score increased over 50% from last time. Still wasn't my best all time, but it was my best this season. Last season I got my best score but I trained for bouldering then. I never boulder anymore.

I'll probably take the weekend off and get back into real gripper and bending workouts Monday.

Did bending today. "Week 4 Day 2" 7.5" for PR day plus a few others to mix it up.

DO

7.5" x 17/64" O1 done

7.5" x 9/32" O1 done

7" x "J" 360lb cal'd done

7.5" x 19/64" O1 done

7.5" x 5/16" O1 got a wobble

5" x 17/64" O1 got a big wobble

7" x 5/16" G2 bolt done

7.5" x 5/16" HRS got a small wobble

Rv terminator

7" x 1/4" CRS done

6" x 1/4" CRS done

Decent workout. I'm starting to bend and move 5/16" stock so that's good news.

That cal'd 360lb bar was way harder than the 7.5" x 19/64" O1 DR. I know the O1 was .5" longer but I've done it in 7" too. I wonder if my Fastenal drill rod is way easier than the cal'd stock I have gotten from a source. Anyone know if McMaster Carr or any other and Fastenal O1 drill rod vary that much? I thought this stuff was pretty consistant.

Grippers today.

1 set #2 x 2 rep no set closes

1 set #3 x 1 rep MMS attempt

4 set #3.5 x 1 rep negatives RH

4 set #3 x 1 rep negatives LH

3 set #2 x 5 second hold RH only, LH hurts

Grippers today.

That´s the most you can get out of a workout with grippers. At one point your hands are waisted. Sometimes I read articles or logs of

people that can train many reps per workout and work grip every day (although not only crush)! Don´t know about you, but after a workout with grippers as you describe,

my hands are mostly completely wasted for at least two days.

BTW, maybe put a choker on your #3? takes some of the stress of the set away, maybe your hand doesn´t hurt that way.

Keep it up!

Grippers today.

That´s the most you can get out of a workout with grippers. At one point your hands are waisted. Sometimes I read articles or logs of

people that can train many reps per workout and work grip every day (although not only crush)! Don´t know about you, but after a workout with grippers as you describe,

my hands are mostly completely wasted for at least two days.

BTW, maybe put a choker on your #3? takes some of the stress of the set away, maybe your hand doesn´t hurt that way.

Keep it up!

Good point. Thanks. I'll try a choker. It's always my thumb muscle on the LH and I think it's from setting the gripper in the RH.

I've had bigger gripper workouts but the hands are still hurting from the last bending day I had. I pretty much gave it my best until the pain felt like doing more harm than good. Bending just takes a huge toll all over. I can train grip 4 days a week. I try for 2 days of grippers and 2 of bending. I'll throw in climbing, RT or other grip work too. So in order to do so I'll combine them into one workout to keep it to 4 times a week max. I'd love to do more but the arms can't keep up. :angry:

Bending today 'Week 4 Day 3' ISO Day

7" x 1/4" HRS 2x for warmup

7" 365lb cal'd bar big wobble and that's it

7" x 5/16" HRS no movement, still small wobble

6" x 1/4" Triagle G5 done

6" x 1/4" FNL G8 tiny wobble

Then just a bunch of hits on 7" stock for ISOs.

5.5" 60d Reverse

6" x 1/4" G2 barehand attempt

Today was a painful day. As I progress through bending I notice the pain I recieve goes up. And also I think by the time I finish up the Day2 PR workout I'm toast going into a Day3 ISO day. I also did negatives with grippers yesterday so that doesn't help. I don't know how people bend every day. Twice a week is just enough to recover between workouts for me. My joints are still trying to get used to the new stresses.

I squeezed this weeks workouts together because I leave town tomorrow for 4 days. At least I get extra healing time before the next bending session. I do plan on some climbing and a gripper workout while I'm gone to keep the fix going.

Bending today 'Week 4 Day 3' ISO Day

7" x 1/4" HRS 2x for warmup

7" 365lb cal'd bar big wobble and that's it

7" x 5/16" HRS no movement, still small wobble

6" x 1/4" Triagle G5 done

6" x 1/4" FNL G8 tiny wobble

Then just a bunch of hits on 7" stock for ISOs.

5.5" 60d Reverse

6" x 1/4" G2 barehand attempt

Today was a painful day. As I progress through bending I notice the pain I recieve goes up. And also I think by the time I finish up the Day2 PR workout I'm toast going into a Day3 ISO day. I also did negatives with grippers yesterday so that doesn't help. I don't know how people bend every day. Twice a week is just enough to recover between workouts for me. My joints are still trying to get used to the new stresses.

I squeezed this weeks workouts together because I leave town tomorrow for 4 days. At least I get extra healing time before the next bending session. I do plan on some climbing and a gripper workout while I'm gone to keep the fix going.

Whew, your bending some steel over there :laugh Rest easy on your day off

I found a climbing gym near my hotel so got in 2 hours of bouldering. Ticked off some good V4s and V5s. I'm still feeling that last ISO bending workout in the shoulders, elbows and wrists. I guess that means I did it right.

Saturday 12/11/10

Did a short gripper workout in the hotel.

1 set #1 x 5 rep no set

2 set #2 x 1 rep MMS

3 set #3.5 x 1 rep negatives

1 set #2 x 5 second hold

The scores came back from the last boudlering comp I had. I placed 21 out of 334 people overall. 10th in my class, Mens Intermediate, even beat 13 of the 24 Mens advanced. Not bad for someone who doesn't practice.

Grippers and Bending "W5D1"

Grippers felt a bit weak. Bending strength felt weak but had lots of energy for volume.

Warmup

boulder garage ceiling

Grippers

1 set #1 x 5 rep no set

1 set #2 x 1 rep MMS

4 set #3.5 x 1 rep choked negatives. I can go from .8" (slightly wider than parallel) to .5"

1 set #2 x 7 second hold

1 set #2 x 6 rep MMS

Bending 8" Volume Day

2x 17/64" O1 DR

1x 17/64" x 5" O1 DR couldn't get the sweep

5x 9/32" O1 DR

1x 19/64" O1 DR

There you go, nice workout. I´m also thinking about more volume on days when strength seems to be not up to par.

Have you read about ´bio feedback´ from AdamTglass? What do you think of that? Maybe something to incorporate

in our training. If not, maybe google it sometime.

There you go, nice workout. I´m also thinking about more volume on days when strength seems to be not up to par.

Have you read about ´bio feedback´ from AdamTglass? What do you think of that? Maybe something to incorporate

in our training. If not, maybe google it sometime.

Do you have a link to that? I googled and found AdamTGlass but not the bio feedback.

The bending program I am on is set up like this, Day1 is 8" volume workout, Day2 is 7.5" for a PR, Day3 is 7" ISO workout on a bar just out of reach. I do two workouts a week, so takes 1.5 weeks for a Day1-3 rotation. It's Ben Edwards Kink focus program. So far I like it. My kink is weak so it's appropraite, and bending being so foreign I needed some structure. It's not like weight lifting.

The way I do grippers is just push myself the best I can. On days I feel strong I go for many heavy singles, and now I've added negatives. On weak days I drop a gripper level or two and do holds or reps.

BTW, I used a choker on my #3.5 for slightly wider than parallel attemtps and negatives. It was definitely a thumb saver. Not sure why the left thumb muscle hurts after a few sets on big grippers.

Today's grip work:

Climbing

10b/c toprope

10b lead

10b/c lead

11c toprope

11b toprope

11c toprope

Grippers

filed #2 x 10 second hold

#3 x 1 rep MMS attempt

filed #2 x 10 second hold 2 more sets (I think I could file more and do longer holds, next time)

Pinching

2x25lb x 10 second hold

2x35lb x 4 sec RH, 2 sec LH

2x25lb x 10 second hold

Way to keep knocking off those goals bro. Keep up the good work.

Jedd

Way to keep knocking off those goals bro. Keep up the good work.

Jedd

Thanks Jedd. Means a lot coming from you.

Bending and grippers today.

Bending 7.5" for a PR

9/32" O1

19/64" O1

5/16" HRS wobble in IMPs, finished in doubles (IMP in leather 1.35")

5/16" O1 big wobble in doubles and got stuck

Red cheated to 6 7/8" used doubles and got to 5.4" and got stuck there

5/16" CRS doubles

1/4" square doubles

I never use anything but IMPs but my middle finger got to me today so I gave it a go. It allowed me to kill both 5/16" HRS and CRS easily and the 1/4" square which I've never been able to do before. Big pads sure do help.

Grippers

#2 filed x 20 second holds 2 sets

#3 RH MMS attempts, .15" away!

You are getting closer bro. Keep it up. 2011 will be the year of closing your #3!

And keep your bending up, it sounds like fun to me, but at this point with my injury that wouldn't

be a good thing to start with. I like reading your blog.

Edited by Geralt

You are getting closer bro. Keep it up. 2011 will be the year of closing your #3!

And keep your bending up, it sounds like fun to me, but at this point with my injury that wouldn't

be a good thing to start with. I like reading your blog.

Thanks for reading bro. I've been following yours as well. I definitely recommend bending. I kind of got sucked into it. Very addicting. When you heal up give it a go.

I made it a personal goal to click the #3 by years end. So close! I'm working really hard, and smarter, to still make it happen. If not January for sure, assuming I'm healthy. I picked up some gripper workouts from a guy on the benders battlefield. He used to be on here but was kicked off, his wife too. Sad stuff because he's really smart, strong and helpful. Right now I'm going to try and increase my range of motion by doing overcrushes on my newly filed #2 and by doing choker work to build speed. I'll do bounce forced negatives once a week to keep working on power. It's a big change to what I was doing so I hope it's what I need!