Newbie Hand Grip Equipment Suggestions

snakemau

Hello, I'm interested in developing a better and stronger grip for daily use, crossfit and ring/pull up bar etc. I 'm 40yrs old, and before I used those cheap hand grips from sports stores and the black gripmaster on long trips and others...so now I would like to try the real deal and get some real results and seems the CoC are the best or one of them. So was wondering if I should star with the trainer and #1 or get the trio of trainer ,#1,#2 or any other combination? Not really sure how to determine my strength level or which one go start with and can't just go to store and try them (military overseas) so a little help will be appreciate it. Any suggestions? Other brands or stick with CoC and recommended training?

Thanks

First off, thank you for your service to the country. We all sleep in our comfortable beds at night because of the sacrifices you have made.

I would go here for a beginner set of grippers:

http://cannonpowerworks.com/collections/start-here

You get a gripper from each of the major brands and therefore can decide which brand you like the best. The prices are top notch and service is the best I've known.

Also, don't forget to train all areas of your grip to prevent injuries and be well rounded. Pinch, wrist, thick bar and supporting grip all need love too. Take care brother.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum.

I whole heartedly agree with Anthony, the beginner set is a good place to start and he ships internationally.

When I first wanted to try grippers I over estimated my strength some and got a few grippers that I couldn't close at all.

I like the whole always have a warm gripper, working gripper, and one you can't close yet.

As beginner you could do nothing wrong with the combo ( trainer,# 1, # 2 ). You need a warm up gripper ( Trainer ), a working gripper ( # 1 ) and a challenge gripper ( # 2 ). I would also advice to order from Matt Cannon, and pay the extra 5$ to get them rated by Matt. At least the # 2.

• Like 2

Hello, I'm interested in developing a better and stronger grip for daily use, crossfit and ring/pull up bar etc. I 'm 40yrs old, and before I used those cheap hand grips from sports stores and the black gripmaster on long trips and others...so now I would like to try the real deal and get some real results and seems the CoC are the best or one of them. So was wondering if I should star with the trainer and #1 or get the trio of trainer ,#1,#2 or any other combination? Not really sure how to determine my strength level or which one go start with and can't just go to store and try them (military overseas) so a little help will be appreciate it. Any suggestions? Other brands or stick with CoC and recommended training?

Thanks

not knocking the Captains, but i'd go for David Hornes Vulcan. it's adjustable. goes from maybe a Trainer to up to the sky is the limit. a bit more expensive to buy, but it will last for years.

This would be another option if it mustn't be a torsion spring gripper. I don't have a Vulcan but an adjustable from Robert Baraban. They are very similar. It comes with two different strength springs. This gives you even more little steps to climbe.

This would be another option if it mustn't be a torsion spring gripper. I don't have a Vulcan but an adjustable from Robert Baraban. They are very similar. It comes with two different strength springs. This gives you even more little steps to climbe.

ok, baraban stole the idea from David Horne. but , i guess it's up to each person to decide which thet want.

Ok will check those out as well. Another question @ Anthony or anyone that knows the answer: you said to also train pinch, wrist, thick bar and supporting grip...is there any guide about these somewhere in this forum so I can check it out and have an idea of what are all those? Again I'm new to all this grip training so all help I can get is well appreciate it.

I found this post but not sure if there is anything else:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=12608

Will do some more looking on this forum and I guess youtube should have videos about it...just sometimes is a bunch of knuckleheads that have no clue and give wrong info, but hey thats youtube right? you get out of it what youwant!

Thanks

Ok will check those out as well. Another question @ Anthony or anyone that knows the answer: you said to also train pinch, wrist, thick bar and supporting grip...is there any guide about these somewhere in this forum so I can check it out and have an idea of what are all those? Again I'm new to all this grip training so all help I can get is well appreciate it.

I found this post but not sure if there is anything else:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=12608

Will do some more looking on this forum and I guess youtube should have videos about it...just sometimes is a bunch of knuckleheads that have no clue and give wrong info, but hey thats youtube right? you get out of it what youwant!

Thanks

i suppose you could go to the hardware store, and buy a sledgehammer. cheap to buy. you can then use it for lever training. works the wrist . i imagine the other boys on here know a lot more than i do. in any event, i hope you train well and avoid injuries. take care.

Check out gripfaq.com and also on YouTube any video from Jedd Johnson is great

• Like 1

I can recomend the book "Grip Strength: How to close heavy duty grippers, lift thick bar weights and pinch grip just about anything". It is avaliable at amazon as paperback or kindle version.

I can recomend the book "Grip Strength: How to close heavy duty grippers, lift thick bar weights and pinch grip just about anything". It is avaliable at amazon as paperback or kindle version.

Wow, I didn't know that book existed.

Who is the author?

I can recommend the book that David Horne said will be released this year!

He's wrighting a book on everything that is to know about grip training.

• Like 1

Who is the author?

I believe that is Tommy Hesleps book. I have never read it but I'm sure its full of great information.

• Like 2

The authors are Robert Spindler ( austrian oldtime strongman ) and Tommy Heslep. I got an E-Mail from Elizabeth Horne yesterday, that David hopes to have it finished janiary / february 2015.

• Like 1

Okey!

Did she say anything about the adjusable thickbar?

I believe that is the last piece of equipment I ever need to buy for grip :)

Edited by PeterSweden

I read a sample of the book. Pretty interesting to see Hesleps training background. Very beginner oriented book, although it seems to be full of wisdom. One doesn't get to close the 4 and not gain wisdom... Good read :)

Yes Peter, she is planing to order the thick bars shortly. They just got the other griptopz back in stock so these are next on the list.

• Like 1

I believe that is the last piece of equipment I ever need to buy for grip :)

I've said that so many times... And never tell that to your wife :)

• Like 3