Has Anyone Seen This New Gripper?

Jones1874

I believe Joe Musselwhite did a review of this gripper (an older model) a while back and he said it was very nice.

I think he said the handles don't actually shut though. I don't know how I feel about that though, you know, metaphysically.

Correct that the handles don't touch. There is a half centimeter gap or so.

It's adjustable, but only has 5 General settings ranging from a sport to 3.5ish

Correct that the handles don't touch. There is a half centimeter gap or so.

It's adjustable, but only has 5 General settings ranging from a sport to 3.5ish

Wow that is a huge spread.

I'm curious what the resistance curve is like on these since you are compressing the spring rather than pulling it apart like with the vulcan/isg.

I bought the GD .90 EXT off eBay after watching Mighty Joe's review. It took awhile to arrive from South Korea, but was well packaged. It's very well made, and I like the range of settings (6) and the extended handles. The only potential downside I see is the handles not touching when you close it. I've taken it with me when traveling so I don't have to pack multiple grippers.

• 5 weeks later...

I have the GD90 as well with the extensions for the handles. Later today I will post the ratings in pounds I came up with when I rated this gripper. I rated the gripper both with the handle extensions and without.

BTW, this is a very precise made gripper and the fact that the handles do not touch when spring is fully compressed shouldn't worry you. The reason is because the total width of the handles closed is barely more than the total width of standard handles closed.

I honestly can't believe this gripper is not more popular with grip guys than it is. If you get a chance to play with one or use someone else's I would bet you'd be more apt to purchase one. I think Matt should consider carrying them. Just my opinion. :)

I just ordered their GD80 gripper. Did you rate that one too? If not I'm assuming I can just subtract ~12lbs to get a rough idea of the RGC rating, according to the table in your GD8 review, or extrapolate from the GD90 chart. .

Got my GD80. I'm pretty new to grippers but overall I love how it feels. The knurling does feel quite sharp, though I haven't tried many so I'm not sure how this ranks. I may run a file over it to take the edge off. Is that the best way to do this?

Dont take the knurl off. If it's like mine (I have the model that was reviewd by Joe) the knurling isn't too severe; the newer CoCs are sharper (but I like that) you'll soon get used to a good knurl, it helps the gripper stay in place in your hand.

Thanks Dax, I left the knurling alone. I'm getting used to it pretty quickly.

Joe, looking forward to seeing those new ratings measurements for the GD 90.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Joe, could you put up the RGC for this new extendable gripper? I love the older model you reviewed, and I may but the newer one too.

• 2 weeks later...

I also ordered it after i have seen the the review.

I played with it when it arrived but never used it since. The handels do not touch an you loose the most important end range.