Heavy Deadlift Lockouts?

Jose Cabrera

Anybody do DL lockouts for grip and overall strength? Ive been thinking about throwing em in to my lifting here and there. Any thoughts on effectiveness? Reps vs holds?

Never got much transfer from them to anything

• Like 1

They were the first thing that I specialized in... the Adam Glass article is on point. You can seriously pile on weight fast with it because it is such a short range lift.

• Like 1

I have done some pretty respectable deadlift lockouts (5X+ bodyweight when my bodyweight was below 200lbs) Never used straps, because I figured I would injure myself. I didn't do these as part of a real training program. Always more of a testing myself or showing off type of deal. Maybe I didn't do them long enough to reap any real rewards, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone either. Seems like the only "carryover" is becoming less afraid of heavy weights. Which is nothing to sneeze at, of course. But if someone has the time to do heavy lockouts, I think they'd be better served doing a full range deadlift instead.

I even had a few workouts before my Paris honeymoon (late 2006) where I did one hand deadlift lockouts in the power rack. I had a sharp-knurled bar on loan from a good friend and put it to use. The take away from those workouts was that I quickly mentally moved up the poundage that I was leery of. 300 was pretty intimidating at first. But it quickly became just another warmup weight. I haven't thought much about it over the years except for when I think about the 387lb 1" vbar pull I did in 2006. It was around the time I did the heavy lockouts. I don't think the one hand lockouts were specifically responsible for the big vbar pull. But I think it got me over a mental barrier and might've made the heavy vbar pulls feel "easier" on the body as a whole. Granted, some will say that even 400lbs isn't that heavy on the body. But they'd be wrong. When it's held in one hand and the stress is hitting the body lopsided. It's an interesting feeling that is worth training up to just once in your life to understand it. :grin:

• Like 3

How short of a lockout are you talking about, to me if the bar is below your knee it will be better for overall strength.

• Like 1

I like doing rack pulls with fatgripz for time, for example 10 sec holds x 5 sets. Or if I go heavier 5 sec holds.

• Like 1

Seems to be a hate it or love it relationship with this lift lol. Thanks for the input guys. Ive never seen that article from Adam before, Thanks Andrew.

Thank you for the detailed response Ben. I have never given short range pulls to much of my training time. I pulled some heavy weight on eagle loops, but never really trained it;just tested. I think the overload will do some good.

Tom I'll play with the heaight and see what feels like good work, thanks.

Edited by Jose Cabrera
  • Like 1

Anybody do DL lockouts for grip and overall strength? Ive been thinking about throwing em in to my lifting here and there. Any thoughts on effectiveness? Reps vs holds?

Are you referring to a regular barbell or axle? DO or alternated?

Personally I love them. They always tested well and I tried to hold a supramax for several seconds, not just a short up and down.

• Like 1

I meant on an oly bar DO, but im open to suggestions;)

I did them for many years . From right in crease above knee ( about a 6" lockout raw with reversed grips no hook or hands touching body 1331, and 1012 on an Axle. 675 with two fingers no thumb on each hand. Perhaps the record as researched the 1331 may be an all time high mark for any witnessed weighed successful trials.

• Like 1

Reversed grip, as in palms away? Can you clarify a bit Mr Sorin? Also how did you start out? What things should be avoided on the same day? Any advice on rep schemes would be great. Thank you

Ps that is some serious weight! Although im sure you know that lol

Edited by Jose Cabrera

I meant on an oly bar DO, but im open to suggestions;)

Never done those regularly bud. Sorry.

The strongest new bar was the USA 216,000 psi Ivanko bar was used. I had their calibrated weights ( over two full sets for powerlifting competition.) The remaining plates were York and pre and post calibrated. The bar was set on solid pins in a strong power rack and a conventional stance and grip was assumed reverse. I had 3 witnesses that adjusted the weights and bar each plate change so I could stand with a conventional grip with the bar exactly in the notch space above my kneecaps. I was total raw except belt ,hands in reversed grip not resting on body and no hook grip used .Over 875 the bar began to sag quite a bit so a 3/4" plywood shim was added to stand on to give a proper 6" range of motion. The final lift was one following about 1000, the bar was weighed and witnessed by all in room a picture was taken that can be seen on google( Richard Sorin 13331) and all were free to weigh and written tally plates twice. A written affidavit my was required and written by a witness. My weight was 238 and I was 36 years of age. There was one clean pull done ,no leaning back ,stop ,or hitching of the bar. My deadlift was strong then and hands held well in a feat that I have done many times before. The chalk path on my pants shows the distance of travel to full lockout on the bar. My head was up and my hips under bar during entire lift. I understand the partial lift "record "was done by Jon Paul and Kaz at the WSM but, a cart end was used as weight and straps were permitted. 1140 was the estimated weight.

My first 400 lb. Deadlift was done at age twelve(12) the day before my 13th birthday.

I have been able since age 15 to pull in the deadlift 500+ each year for the past 49 years. A near miss at my birthday get together was a result of an internal bleed that landed me in the hospital a few days later with half my normal oxygen level present.

I have the rest of the period till June 26th to complete my life goal of 50 years straight of meager, but sustained resolve ,and ability with 500.

• Like 6