Training To Lift The Inch Dumbbell

Evan Raftopoulos

hey guys, I tried one hand deadlift with fatgripz up to 150lb dumbbell the other day (heaviest at my gym). The handle was a bit thick for fatripz so overall diameter was greater than fatgripz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suSygDHmLT0

my goal is to go 22lb heavier with fatgrips which is the wt of the inch dumbbell. I have an olympic dumbbell that I can add wts and planning on testing it soon.

I was under the impression that the inch dumbbell handle is harder than fatgripz but somebody commented on my vid that he thought he read somewhere numbers are lower with fatgripz. Anyone that has both knows for sure?

this looks really cool

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=44447&hl=inch

• Like 2

This is a good long term goal for you to have, if you stick with it you will get it for sure.

Have you considered buying a baby inch? You can get inch dumbbells from strength shop for example and they do 36kg/42kg/56kg inch dumbells which will be great for your training, plus you will get a feel for the rotation of an inch :D

Hey Evan,

While my thick bar strength is not noteworthy at all, I can tell you that Brian from the boards can RT around 160 and can only float the baby inch right now. The inch is a really, really elite lift. I think the wrist wrench would also supplement your training, as it has the feel of lifting a db with globes.

• Like 1

This is a good long term goal for you to have, if you stick with it you will get it for sure.

Have you considered buying a baby inch? You can get inch dumbbells from strength shop for example and they do 36kg/42kg/56kg inch dumbells which will be great for your training, plus you will get a feel for the rotation of an inch :D

thanks bro, I've been progressing good so far with thick bar training working primarily with the crushers and adjustable thick bar. I pulled 175 on the 2" crusher which is painted and doesn't hold any chalk and I was able to pull couple inches off the floor 276lb on adjustable thick bar (60MM) and full lockout 256. Even though these lifts are much different than the inch I'd like to also know how these compare to the inch if anyone has both.

I wish I could buy a baby inch but I have no place to put it at the moment. My wife won't be happy if I bring this in our small apartment and we don't have a garage or something. But now that I'm thinking about it we have a shared backyard maybe it will be ok there. I'm pretty sure nobody will try to steal it lol , if someone can lift it and run with it i'll them have it

Hey Evan,

While my thick bar strength is not noteworthy at all, I can tell you that Brian from the boards can RT around 160 and can only float the baby inch right now. The inch is a really, really elite lift. I think the wrist wrench would also supplement your training, as it has the feel of lifting a db with globes.

thanks for the info and advice brother,I don't think I can lift the inch at all at this point but I'd love to try. I've been training a little bit with the wrist wrench replica I got from Luke here. I was able to pull a bit over 160 on the RT (older model) but haven't worked with it much since I got it couple weeks ago.

I lifted the baby inch first time I tried at Nates house. Then again and I tried again and failed. The rotation of the globes mixed with the diameter of the handle fries your wrist and lower forearm. I was amazed at how worthless I was the rest of the day when it came to lifting and bending. But I was a champion at drinking. I believe his baby was 120-130??? I can't remember.

• Like 1

I think Anthony P may have some inch trainer handles being made or in stock. These are the closest thing to the feel of an inch replica

• Like 1

I'm finding that the closest thing poundage to poundage is the 2.5" crusher to globe dumbbells that I've used in training. I'm maxing the 2.5 at 137 and I can hover the strength shop 140lb bell.

Wrist wrench's are great for the spin and fatgriz ln a dumbbell helps with the low pick height.

Can't comment on the plate loadabe bells yet. I only played with it for a day before sending it off to Steve. I'll have to defer to his expertise on that one.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

I'm finding that the closest thing poundage to poundage is the 2.5" crusher to globe dumbbells that I've used in training.

this is good to know, the heaviest I've done on the 2.5 crusher with proper lifting is 141.5. I've pulled 179 on it one time only because I minimized the spinning by having it in contact with my body using a longer strap loading pin (didn't even realize it until Tom mentioned it). No way I can lift 172 and from that low with the 2.5. I saw somebody has the new WR now with the 2.5 at 220lb. For him the inch dumbbell must be a joke!

• Like 1

I'm finding that the closest thing poundage to poundage is the 2.5" crusher to globe dumbbells that I've used in training. I'm maxing the 2.5 at 137 and I can hover the strength shop 140lb bell.

Wrist wrench's are great for the spin and fatgriz ln a dumbbell helps with the low pick height.

Can't comment on the plate loadabe bells yet. I only played with it for a day before sending it off to Steve. I'll have to defer to his expertise on that one.

The plate loadable bells are the closest thing to the real deal. Using 10lb plates you are very close to the same diameter as the inch. also the lift is more realistic then using a crusher or rt since you are breaking it from the floor.

If these things get out to the public they could be a game changer to people working on the inch lift.

What are you guys getting on the wrist wrench? I need to order a 2.5" crusher. Although I might try the fatgripz and use Evan's formula to figure out roughly where I would be with the inch or crusher. Thanks for sharing your guys thoughts, great thread.

FBBC had a post today on Facebook that they have the trainer handles in stock. Ordered myself one, very reasonable on price and shipping also.

Let me know what you think when you get it. I love mine

Will do Steve. The handle I bought from you awhile back works good also I've just maxed out at 120 lbs with no more room for my odd ball plates. Going to put all-thread on this one and cut it so I can get a total of 180 lbs. using 10 lbs. plates.

They aren't perfectly comparable, but for me and a couple of other guys approximately 100 lbs with the Wrist Wrench = able to lift the Inch.

2.5 Crusher numbers are close, but I think you need to lift a bit more with the crusher (maybe 180+?).

Rolling Thunder (new version) aren't as close. I think you need to lift 210+ to lift the Inch.

It won't be the same for everyone.

• Like 4

Thanks Eric, I appreciate it. Your thick bar is very good. Do you recomend hitting something like the wrist wrench multiple times a week or just once? Curious on how you train thick bar if you have the time to post it.

I typically do thick bar training twice a week. Nothing out of the ordinary. 3-4 sets per exercise (say, DO axle, Crusher, and Wrist Wrench), upping the weights each set so that my the final set is difficult to manage three reps.

Evan do you have a wrist wrench? Would be curious what your numbers are with that or anyone elses who has tried the inch and the wrist wrench.

I have a wrist wrench replica for wrist curls but I think it's not strong enough for one hand deadlifts. I almost broke it when I tried (the base started bending, maybe I should have rolled it up all the way?). I was thinking of getting a better one but I'm getting the pro dumbbell instead.

I typically do thick bar training twice a week. Nothing out of the ordinary. 3-4 sets per exercise (say, DO axle, Crusher, and Wrist Wrench), upping the weights each set so that my the final set is difficult to manage three reps.

Thanks! Do you pick one movement or hit multiple?

Edit: I think you answered it already I'm just slow lol

Edited by JamesG

Just looking at the design the wrist wrench gets its strength from the strap producing friction on the pipe. If you pull on it with the strap slack the only thing holding it together is some 1/4 bolts and webbing that could rip out easy.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I finally trained with my FBBC Pro Dumbell last night and I have to say I'm very impressed. I used 2 pieces of all thread 16" long with a couple of nuts to tighten down with. The Handel is slick that should season well and is short so you can wedge your hand in just like on a real inch. I worked up to 147 on it and my thumbs are going to be sore for a while from all the spin I has with the plates tight.

• Like 1

Just looking at the design the wrist wrench gets its strength from the strap producing friction on the pipe. If you pull on it with the strap slack the only thing holding it together is some 1/4 bolts and webbing that could rip out easy.

I have one and it's seems really well built and those bolts have washers.