Hub Vs One Hand Pinch; No Carryover?

jvance

I've noticed in my own training that my 1hp is comparatively much stronger than my hub when you look at what are considered good numbers for both. Training time for both have been down considerably but I can still clear 100# 1hp while hub gets hard at about 45#. Thats a 2 to 1 difference. i would imagine my thumbs are reasonable strong... but my hub Sucks.

Reading through training logs from others reveal a similar, sometimes opposite discrepancy - excelling at the hub (pulling virtually more on the hub that they can pinch) while struggling with the 1 hand euro. The finland guys seem to be the some of the few who can be world class at both.

I have a hard time figuring out the relationship between the two lifts. Maybe some of you guys have thought about this more than me and could throw some pointers.

• Like 1

I don't get any direct carry over either. I can make gains on my 1 hand pinch but if I ignore the hub the numbers start going down again. But I'm odd in that it feels like I have to do specific practice at anything I want to be ok at. :getlost:

The last phalanges in the fingers are stressed the most in the hub... the rest of the hand is secondary.

Pinch requires all phalanges as primary. Wrist is secondary.

Edited by hellswindstaff

I would say they are similar to some degree. If only because they often test well at the same time. I think a narrower Euro is closer the the Hub. There is also a matter of the hand position one uses as well, i.e., my thumb is not straight.

I one hand pinch 80# but can't even hub a 35 plate.

On my IM hub, I've only lifted 47#.

I have an idea that hubs test your finger toughness. But hubs vary more than other lifts.

I'll be training extensively for king Kong, but as it stands my hub is mediocre and my pinch is strong.

Hope to hit a breakthrough soon.

Yori, if you can lift 47 lbs on the IronMind Hub, but haven't been able to hub a 35-lb plate, I think you just haven't yet found a plate with the right texture. I'm convinced you can hub a 35-lb plate.

• Like 1

Based on my own experience, I would also say the hub is incredibly CNS oriented.

• Like 1

Yori, if you can lift 47 lbs on the IronMind Hub, but haven't been able to hub a 35-lb plate, I think you just haven't yet found a plate with the right texture. I'm convinced you can hub a 35-lb plate.

You may be right. I had previously thought my plate was an easy one, but I've never had s chance at any others.

That, and I gotta try to bump up my general hub strength.

The angle of the hub in the plate can of course make a big difference. It's 90', obviously, that's your best bet. The more shallow & angled the hub, the harder it will be.

I just started training 1HP, since it seems to be less prone to tears in the skin on my thumb. So I can't really say anything about 1HP vs Hub.

I use a pretty different hand position for 1hp,2hp, and hub. It's also going to depend on if you are talking about a hub device or a plate with ribs. I've never really worked hubs too hard just considered them accessory for 2hp. when i was hub strongest, I was at a gym with lots of old plates and i hit different hubs all the time. that isn't practical for most people i guess. try lifting other objects in the hub style. small blocks and other things with an over top spider grip.

as far as the 2 being related, i think they are but it will depend on the person's anatomy,grip style, and hand size. for me the styles i use are so different that there is carry over but it's not direct unless i'm hitting both in training.

I think it also has to do with surface area and friction--much less of both on the hub, not to mention the different shape and other variables.

In a grip contest is it allowed to lift the hub with a grip like in the first picture, or do you have to use a grip like in the second picture.

post-23564-0-04973400-1405006154_thumb.j

post-23564-0-09302200-1405006191_thumb.j

I think it has to do with finger length, shorter fingers I think do better on the hub then longer ones. You just have a worse leverage with longer fingers. Now one hand pinch generally favors bigger hand on average well my 1 hand is not great for my weight class but ok at around 100 also and hub was also ok for my weight class at mid 70. I think its because my hands are big-little over 8 inches- with short fingers. Now you can look at guys like mike bruke who lifted somewhere north of 60 and lost in the hub lift to hubgeezeer last year at san jose expo but his one hand pinch is probably the strongest in the world next to maybe shaw based on his destruction of blobs. I think its because 1 technique and his long fingers.

I think one of the biggest factors is the implement though m best lift on my hub is like 60ish lbs but I lifted mid 70 on the newer hub that had better grip. Same thing with one hand pinch I can't pinch my 2 45's-not even close- still but could lift over 100 on the 1 hand pinch because it had good grip.

In my opinion Hub and pinch are very diffrent. Hub lifts technigue is more important. finger position hub lifts is critical. Little diffrense my set and i can loose 10lbs.. just example..

In a grip contest is it allowed to lift the hub with a grip like in the first picture, or do you have to use a grip like in the second picture.

The first picture. All the initial criticism that came regarding that style came from guys who were readers, not doers. That ended about two years ago once more people had actually used the device. If I sound a little cynical, that's because on that subject, I am.

No carryover from hub to pinch. Don't know about the other way around.

I trained hub for 2 months without doing pinch in prep for a contest. My hub went up a few pounds and when I tried 1h pinch for the first time in 2 months I maxed out exactly where I was previously.