Parallel Set Grippers No Longer Recognized By Nags

EricMilfeld

I know Jedd is busy, so I'll go ahead and make the announcement. Going forward NAGS will no longer recognize parallel set grippers as a sanctioned event. For purposes of updating the lists I will gladly include performances from the past that have been overlooked.

The main reason for this decision is the excessive level of difficulty involved in accurately judging the event. Also, as the springs get bigger so does the total width of the set. 20mm block sets address both of these issues.

Thank you for making the announcement Eric. I could not agree more.

What are the details concerning AZCG and this?

I believe parallel grippers were one of the events chosen prior to this decision.

I find this post very interesting since I am putting on a comp in 4 weeks with parallel set grippers as the first event and I was not part of this discussion.

- Aaron

• Like 1

Aaron, I just started a thread about this in our discussion forum. I either wasn't aware of your contest being under parallel set rules, or had completely forgotten when I spoke with Eric last night. Hopefully, you have time to jump on that board.

For NAGS, we don't have a voted board of members in place. We do have a group of guys from the US though: Aaron, Eric, me, Brent, Chris, and Andrew Durniat.

Aaron, I just started a thread about this in our discussion forum. I either wasn't aware of your contest being under parallel set rules, or had completely forgotten when I spoke with Eric last night. Hopefully, you have time to jump on that board.

For NAGS, we don't have a voted board of members in place. We do have a group of guys from the US though: Aaron, Eric, me, Brent, Chris, and Andrew Durniat.

First I heard of this one guys - please keep me in the loop a little better. Thankfully I'm in agreement but if not - I don't think I'd be too happy about now.

For any who know...

then...what exactly is NAGS? Can you describe it's inception and what it actually does? Since it's North American...maybe Eric Roussin would be a worthy addition?

Frankly, I still consider myself simply a journeyman in grip, but perhaps years down the road (when I'm more "seasoned") I'd be interested in voicing an opinion.

Do you have some kind of system in place to allow for that?

Thanks.

• Like 2

Just my $0.02.

Aaron has always done an excellent job at his comps keeping on eye on the parallel set. He has an excellent eye for this as well as whether the gripper closed as well. If I was putting on a comp myself and judging, I would probably do a 20mm block set, just because I have a hard enough time trying to see if the gripper closed, let alone worry about that and whether the handles were parallel or better before the attempt started.

As a competitor, I don't really have a horse in the race. Block sets require a little bit of coordination to set, grab the block, show the block fits, and squeeze, etc. and one could argue a little bit of energy/power is lost in the process. However, once the block is swiped I don't have to worry about the set being judged invalid which could happen with a parallel set. I don't recall my attempts ever getting called for this, but it is something I think about. To me the drawbacks of either set weight equally. I have never done parallel set at any other comp, so I can't comment beyond Cactus Grip Showdowns.