The Gripday Party - Springfield, Missouri April 5,2014

Colt

The first ever Gripday Party will be held in Springfield, Missouri on Saturday, April 5, 2014.

Events will include:

20mm block set grippers

2 hand pinch

Sledge Hammer Deadlift

2 Hand Water Jug carry for distance

A Massive Medley

Many events will be NAGS sanctioned and there will be several opportunities to qualify for Nationals.

Weigh in at 9:00 am event begins at 10:00am

There will be shirts for all contestants, cash and prizes for top finishers, and food and drink provided for athletes and family after the event

A link with the signup form will be added soon we just wanted to get this out for people to plan for the new year. Springfield and Branson (45 minutes from the comp) both have airports to check for cheap air fare.

If there is any questions please contact: Colt Anstine or Lucas Wicks either on here or facebook

• Like 5

If Josh Dale and Scott Harris (Brad Manion...) are competing, then there's a good chance I could show up too. Maybe as an impromptu loader.

Looks like I'll be at the contest! I cleared it first with the boss (my wife). Then with work. It's a few days after my daughter's 1st birthday so I wasn't sure if it was going to interfere with any plans my better half might've made for that shindig.

And regardless of how little training I manage to sneak in for the contest, I'll sign up to compete. Between work and adjusting to a "new" baby, I will be doing well to get one dedicated grip workout done once weekly leading up to the contest. But who knows. I might be able to sneak in several smaller workouts a few times a week here and there if time allows it.

Even that small amount of training should get me back to the ability to close an easy #3 by April. I don't expect any miracles, and have no desire to put in the training necessary to get back to my top gripper strength of multiple 20mm block set singles with my 179lb Elite. I would be quite content with a gripper close in the 140lb-150lb range at the contest. Considering I quit training grippers in August of 2012, this wouldn't be an embarrassing result for 3 months of training. I had my armwrestling buddy Scott Harris over to give me an armwrestling tutorial in September. We both closed my 110lb #2. I didn't try anything harder. Because I didn't care. So I know I'm at least at that level on 20mm Grippers, lol.

Travis has agreed to loan his 149lb #3 (a gift from me last year, bought and rated from Cannon PowerWorks) out for the contest. So that will be my goal gripper at the contest.

I will drop enough weight to be in the 93kg weight class. I'm at 225lbs right now. So a 20lb weight loss is challenging, but very doable in 3 months. The 83kg weight class is not going to happen without divine intervention.

Oh, I got a surprise in the mail Saturday. The Baraban Adjustable Gripper that I essentially "gave" (I never thought I'd see it again) to a grip guy when I got rid of most of my grip stuff last year showed up completely unexpected. Still in good shape. No note. No "thanks for letting me use this nice adjustable gripper for over a year", haha. Nothing. Stay classy. I'll take that to mean he was not successful in his quest to certify on the #3. I haven't been checking the "Who's Certified" list on Ironmind lately...so maybe he is and that's why he sent it back to me. Hmmm...that would make me look like a bit of a dick if he certified and had a nice write-up where he thanked me for the adjustable gripper, lol. But somehow I doubt it. He has historically been a bigger dick than John Holmes. So I have an adjustable gripper to train with if I choose to.accept this challenge.

As for 2HP, I have never enjoyed training pinch. And that was when I was actually a grip guy. So I don't have any plans to train for the contest. Will at least do a baseline test to see how pitiful my 2HP is and I might just leave it at that.

The Sledge Choke event is somewhat interesting to me these days. My main training is really just a day or two per week of light kettlebell exercise. Along with walking and occasional jogging. So my training won't have any kind of carryover to a lever event. I will have to rig something up to train it a few times. Get a baseline and then at least know how weak I am at it.

I'll be bringing some equipment to put in the medley. Well, technically, it'll be loaned equipment from buddies. But I will be the one carting it to and from the contest.

• Like 1

Looks like I'll be at the contest! I cleared it first with the boss (my wife).

Very cool. I don't think my boss is going to let me off for this one. ;)

I have a feeling that at contest time...the lowest you'll decide to start with...will be that goal gripper (149).

• Like 1

Looks like I'll be at the contest! I cleared it first with the boss (my wife).

Very cool. I don't think my boss is going to let me off for this one. ;)

I have a feeling that at contest time...the lowest you'll decide to start with...will be that goal gripper (149).

I wish you were able to make it to this contest!

You might be right about starting with that goal gripper. But that is only because it won't be rising bar. Realistically, I think I'll close it, but it'll be a max effort. It's just been too long and I have sustained too many mostly minor injuries over the years to get back to where I was. But it'll be fun to see old friends and make new ones at the contest.

• Like 1

I bet the strength comes back full force in short order Ben. You might surprise yourself.

Thanks Jon! I hope to get a bit of it back. Haven't lost everything, of course. But like I said in my reply to Nate, I'm working with multiple hand (forearm too) and shoulder injuries that will limit me to a significantly lower level of strength for the remainder of my life. But it doesn't mean I can't train back up to the #3 level if I want it bad enough.

Colt, I forgot to ask, but if it will be helpful, I can bring a bunch of weight plates to the contest. Some will be for adding weight to medley implement items. Other weight plates would be helpful for actual medley items themselves. Like my good hubbing 45s. And my odd hub 35s that will challenge a lot of guys. Sometimes it's hard to put together a medley without tons of weight for the various items to be loaded to appropriate challenge weight.

Any guess what you will load the FBBC 2" vbar up to (total weight) in the medley? I will bring mine and a bunch of plates for it. I'm getting an estimate because I think I'll have to borrow some weight plates from my brother-in-law. Which is no problem. I'd rather get the amount of weight you think is appropriate for the level of challenges you have in mind, rather than make everything super under-weighted because of a lack of weight plates.

I loaned my Saxon Plank (3" width) to Scott Harris. If he plans on going, he could bring that for the medley. That's usually a competitor favorite and doesn't take much weight added to make it a total bastard to lift.

Ben, TEDS told me the only way he'd reinstate my CoC certification is if I acted like one...so no note. BTW, I beat a unicorn to death with your Baraban gripper before I sent it back.

Suck it,

jad

• Like 2

Ben I would love for you to bring your hub weights. We should have plenty of calibrated weights but if you want to bring some for your vbar and saxon I certainly wouldn't argue with you. I don't want any injuries from guys hitting a super heavy vbar in the medley so I don't anticipate it being anything extreme.

Ben I would love for you to bring your hub weights. We should have plenty of calibrated weights but if you want to bring some for your vbar and saxon I certainly wouldn't argue with you. I don't want any injuries from guys hitting a super heavy vbar in the medley so I don't anticipate it being anything extreme.

I'll definitely bring the weights and I think most guys will get a kick out of trying the 35lb plates with the challenging hubs. There will be some guys who are able to hub them. But I think the majority won't be able to.

I'll be competing in the 93kg class.

Any idea on how many guys are going to compete?

On that note, where do I send the $50 for my entry?

We will be adding the Ironmind Crushed to Dust challenge to the Party! It will be a separate event done after the competition, free for paid Gripday competitors to try for certification ($15 for non paid competitors).

Very cool news about the CTD challenge opportunity! There will be a few certs after the contest.

Also I am going to have some big news later this month about sponsors. If anyone is interested in sponsoring please message me, and stay tuned.

• Like 2

I'm ready for a road trip. I plan on coming providing nothing crazy pops up. I've been slacking on my grip stuff the last couple of months but this will motivate me to get going again. Now I gotta go buy a sledge hammer.

• Like 2

I wanted to make a quick note on the sponsors for this event at this moment and add to if more come in. The grip community as a whole is incredible and the sport is exciting and getting outside support locally.

SASCO PAVEMENT COATINGS

TODD COENEN

CHRISTOPHER ANDRADE

TEAM PATTERSON MUSCLE & FITNESS

THEGRIPAUTHORITY.COM

MILLERCOORS OF THE OZARKS