NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

HELLO!!!

My name is Greg I am 19yo and I have never even touched a real grip implement other than some stuff I've made myself in the last 4-3 months (I'm pretty sure I could close a CoC #2 or a heavy grips 250). I have been lifting weights for about 2 years or so. Main reason I've never really trained grip is because grip implements are so dang expensive, BUT I graduate at the end of the month and I started working so now I have enough moolah to get what I want. I look forward to strengthening my grip.

On 5/7/2020 at 2:50 PM, BIGMONEY9000 said:

HELLO!!!

My name is Greg I am 19yo and I have never even touched a real grip implement other than some stuff I've made myself in the last 4-3 months (I'm pretty sure I could close a CoC #2 or a heavy grips 250). I have been lifting weights for about 2 years or so. Main reason I've never really trained grip is because grip implements are so dang expensive, BUT I graduate at the end of the month and I started working so now I have enough moolah to get what I want. I look forward to strengthening my grip.

Welcome @BIGMONEY9000 !

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

My name is Sameer and i'm from India. I've been a silent observer on here for some years. I discovered grippers quite by accident. I used to race motorcycles and injured my wrist once in well, an accident. As part of rehabilitation I picked up a gripper from a local store and found it very easy to close. Subsequently did some research online to see if there was something harder to close and I couldn't find anything in this country. I did however discover COC grippers and ordered the No 1. I was able to close it out of the pack and this led me further down the road. Over the next 2 months I closed the COC 2 and then the 2.5 a few months later. I was still racing motorcycles back then, and grip training, while fascinating, was not a priority. Its been a decade since I quit racing and something has drawn me back to grip training again. I've set a new goal for myself and that is to close the COC 3 - I want to be the first Indian to do so (if that hasn't happened already). I'm in my early 40's, and I while I realize age is not doing me any favors, its something I feel I have to do. I'm not a big guy (6ft 170lbs) and that's been a source of motivation for me as it seems to go against the established norms. I was particularly impressed by Joe Kinney and have seen his DVD some years ago. It made me think I can still do this. Going to keep going at it. A bit late with an introduction but better late than never, thank you for having me

A couple of videos I made from a decade ago:

I hope it is ok to link these seeing as its my first post. If not please let me know and i'll remove them.

COC No1 -- 

COC No -2 -- 

Sameer

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, samev said:

Hello All,

My name is Sameer and i'm from India. I've been a silent observer on here for some years. I discovered grippers quite by accident. I used to race motorcycles and injured my wrist once in well, an accident. As part of rehabilitation I picked up a gripper from a local store and found it very easy to close. Subsequently did some research online to see if there was something harder to close and I couldn't find anything in this country. I did however discover COC grippers and ordered the No 1. I was able to close it out of the pack and this led me further down the road. Over the next 2 months I closed the COC 2 and then the 2.5 a few months later. I was still racing motorcycles back then, and grip training, while fascinating, was not a priority. Its been a decade since I quit racing and something has drawn me back to grip training again. I've set a new goal for myself and that is to close the COC 3 - I want to be the first Indian to do so (if that hasn't happened already). I'm in my early 40's, and I while I realize age is not doing me any favors, its something I feel I have to do. I'm not a big guy (6ft 170lbs) and that's been a source of motivation for me as it seems to go against the established norms. I was particularly impressed by Joe Kinney and have seen his DVD some years ago. It made me think I can still do this. Going to keep going at it. A bit late with an introduction but better late than never, thank you for having me

A couple of videos I made from a decade ago:

I hope it is ok to link these seeing as its my first post. If not please let me know and i'll remove them.

COC No1 -- 

COC No -2 -- 

Sameer

Welcome @samev !

Sorry, i feel like i need to clarify something;  and this is in regard to Joe Kinney. I don't want to stir a redundant pot up again and, ( know) i likely wont on this particular thread...but still. I'm aware of the controversies and have taken the time to research over the years.. I want to clarify my stance -  that regardless of authenticity, he was a source of inspiration to me. Its good to believe in heroes :) - that is all. Thanks.

Edited by samev
  • Like 2

Hello folks, 

My name is Jason I am 22 and hail from the sunny kingdom of Scotland, I'm about 165-170lbs year round, pretty average paws 7.5", I've been into grip for a few months now and have developed a tad of a obsession in that short time. I really like bending nails and most of the aspects of grip. I would love to do a competition in the future when I've built up a little bit more strength and right now I am focused on training for the IRONMIND crushed to dust challenge :) 

Hello to everyone!

I am Emmanouil Marizas, founder and president of Armlifting Greece. 

The Gripsport/Armlifting is known and developing very fast in Greece since December 2017, when i brought the first equipment here. I am very proud of the development of the sport in our country so far.

I am also very happy to become member of this community and i hope to achieve many feats of gripstrength in the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A Wee Scot said:

Hello folks, 

My name is Jason I am 22 and hail from the sunny kingdom of Scotland, I'm about 165-170lbs year round, pretty average paws 7.5", I've been into grip for a few months now and have developed a tad of a obsession in that short time. I really like bending nails and most of the aspects of grip. I would love to do a competition in the future when I've built up a little bit more strength and right now I am focused on training for the IRONMIND crushed to dust challenge :) 

Welcome @A Wee Scot !

31 minutes ago, Emmanouil Marizas said:

Hello to everyone!

I am Emmanouil Marizas, founder and president of Armlifting Greece. 

The Gripsport/Armlifting is known and developing very fast in Greece since December 2017, when i brought the first equipment here. I am very proud of the development of the sport in our country so far.

I am also very happy to become member of this community and i hope to achieve many feats of gripstrength in the future.

Welcome @Emmanouil Marizas !

• Thanks 1

Hi Everyone,

Jake here from Indianapolis, IN. I've been involved with powerlifting for more than a decade, but have become enamored with grip training and steel bending in the last 1.5 years. I am aim to primarily utilize this site as a resource for bending. My best bend in IM pads so far is the square from FBBC, and I recently put a kink in an IM red nail. 

I am happy to be a member here and hope I can learn from some of the more experienced and accomplished benders on the site.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jakethesnake said:

Hi Everyone,

Jake here from Indianapolis, IN. I've been involved with powerlifting for more than a decade, but have become enamored with grip training and steel bending in the last 1.5 years. I am aim to primarily utilize this site as a resource for bending. My best bend in IM pads so far is the square from FBBC, and I recently put a kink in an IM red nail. 

I am happy to be a member here and hope I can learn from some of the more experienced and accomplished benders on the site.

Welcome.  There's a lot of great bending info here.  Read and apply.

You'll also find a number of strong benders willing to help.

• Like 1

I’m Mike, I’m 41 and live in Oregon. I’m mashonthego on Instagram and post a lot of my grip fears and training there. I’ve been interested in grip for a couple years now. I completed in King Kong 2019 and I’m currently training for King Kong 2020. I really like thick bar and hope to purchase an inch dumbbell soon. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I’m John, an Irish man living in England. I’m not a proficient bender by any means but have aspirations!

Currently I’m at the stage of bending 7mm bright mild steel so in the region between the IM blue nail and red nail. All of this in IM wraps. 

Always happy to get training tips  from those of you who have been there and done it, as some days I feel I’m progressing and bend well and others I can’t budge the 7mm stuff. 

• Like 1

Welcome!  Steel bending is part fun, part spiritual journey.

What you describe is incredibly common.  You need to remember that some of that could be recovery, but some of that is probably CNS dependent.   I've had quite a few excellent training sessions that started out like crap.  I'd advise that you dont immediately give it up for the day.  Often, our bodies just need to wake TFU.  Putting the bar down for ten minutes and exercising, loosening up can work wonders.  GL

• Thanks 1

On 6/2/2020 at 11:39 AM, jakethesnake said:

Hi Everyone,

Welcome @jakethesnake !

On 6/3/2020 at 11:20 AM, Michael Wilfong said:

I’m Mike, I’m 41 and live in Oregon. I’m mashonthego on Instagram and post a lot of my grip fears and training there. I’ve been interested in grip for a couple years now. I completed in King Kong 2019 and I’m currently training for King Kong 2020. I really like thick bar and hope to purchase an inch dumbbell soon. 

Welcome @Michael Wilfong!

1 hour ago, Jazza said:

Hi Everyone,

I’m John, an Irish man living in England. I’m not a proficient bender by any means but have aspirations!

Currently I’m at the stage of bending 7mm bright mild steel so in the region between the IM blue nail and red nail. All of this in IM wraps. 

Always happy to get training tips  from those of you who have been there and done it, as some days I feel I’m progressing and bend well and others I can’t budge the 7mm stuff. 

Welcome @Jazza !

Hey my names matt, I started indoor climbing about a year ago now and while I've made noticable gains in grip strength, my grip is holding me back drastically. For the last month I've been working with an adjustable sports store gripper that goes up to 88lbs but I'm repping out 20+ on that now, a quick google search on grip strength led me here and you guys have enlightened me on the magical world of grip strength, its quickly turning into an obsession. I've just ordered a coc trainer, 1, 1.5 and 2, more than enough to keep me busy for quite some time. I've been lurking a few days now and have learned a little bit about different types of grip training, keen to learn more, especially if theres any climbers here who have benefitted from grip training I'm keen to draw off of your knowledge and experience

2 hours ago, fainting-goat17 said:

Hey my names matt, I started indoor climbing about a year ago now and while I've made noticable gains in grip strength, my grip is holding me back drastically. For the last month I've been working with an adjustable sports store gripper that goes up to 88lbs but I'm repping out 20+ on that now, a quick google search on grip strength led me here and you guys have enlightened me on the magical world of grip strength, its quickly turning into an obsession. I've just ordered a coc trainer, 1, 1.5 and 2, more than enough to keep me busy for quite some time. I've been lurking a few days now and have learned a little bit about different types of grip training, keen to learn more, especially if theres any climbers here who have benefitted from grip training I'm keen to draw off of your knowledge and experience

Welcome Matt!  I have to ask...been admin for 20 years here. Your username has to be one of the more unique ones yet!  What's the story?

@fainting-goat17

was one of the randomly generated usernames for xbox live back in the day,  made me chuckle and I've used it for everything ever since lol. thanks for the warm welcome, hopefully in a year or 2 I can be posting some grip feats to be proud of, had no idea how complex grip training can be though, it's been an eye opener so far 

36 minutes ago, fainting-goat17 said:

was one of the randomly generated usernames for xbox live back in the day,  made me chuckle and I've used it for everything ever since lol. thanks for the warm welcome, hopefully in a year or 2 I can be posting some grip feats to be proud of, had no idea how complex grip training can be though, it's been an eye opener so far 

👍

Hello all,

My name is Ben, I’m 24 and I wrestled in school at 174# (finished a year ago) and have been taking strength training seriously since 2014. Recently I’ve gotten interested in grip specifically the last couple months and my goal is to lift the blob hopefully sooner rather than later! I also have been into thick bar training. Have been checking out grip board for a while but figured I might as well sign up and introduce myself. The knowledge and experience here is extremely helpful and I’m happy to be a member.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. I was actually a (non-active) member of this board 10+ years ago, but I'm back in the grip game now. I'm mostly into bending, or at least training for bending, but last night I picked up my old CoC #2 and was happy to still able to shut it. My long-term goals are to be able to bend a red nail and shut the #3 (yes, I'm still living in 2006). I also do partner acrobatics (primarily as a base) and am getting more into hand balancing myself. There is an incredible amount of wrist strength/stabilization that go into handstands, and basing people in mono holds (mono hand-to-hand or foot-to-hand).

Back in the day @bencrush sent me an extensive bending kit that I (sadly) still haven't gone through as of yet. Also, years ago I used to train at a powerlifting gym with Brent Barbe. Didn't realize how accomplished he was at the time?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2020 at 3:15 AM, BWKrantz said:

Hello all,

My name is Ben, I’m 24 and I wrestled in school at 174# (finished a year ago) and have been taking strength training seriously since 2014. Recently I’ve gotten interested in grip specifically the last couple months and my goal is to lift the blob hopefully sooner rather than later! I also have been into thick bar training. Have been checking out grip board for a while but figured I might as well sign up and introduce myself. The knowledge and experience here is extremely helpful and I’m happy to be a member.

Welcome @BWKrantz !

2 hours ago, AcroBend said:

Hello. I was actually a (non-active) member of this board 10+ years ago, but I'm back in the grip game now. I'm mostly into bending, or at least training for bending, but last night I picked up my old CoC #2 and was happy to still able to shut it. My long-term goals are to be able to bend a red nail and shut the #3 (yes, I'm still living in 2006). I also do partner acrobatics (primarily as a base) and am getting more into hand balancing myself. There is an incredible amount of wrist strength/stabilization that go into handstands, and basing people in mono holds (mono hand-to-hand or foot-to-hand).

Back in the day @bencrush sent me an extensive bending kit that I (sadly) still haven't gone through as of yet. Also, years ago I used to train at a powerlifting gym with Brent Barbe. Didn't realize how accomplished he was at the time?

Welcome @AcroBend!

Hey folks,

I am 26, 182cm and ~90kg right now. I got inspired by great athletes such as Timo Lauttamus and Nathan Holle. I just do general strength training at home, some long term goals are the one arm chinup and the CoC #3. I will be posting a training log hopefully - consisting of mainly gripper progress, or at least that is the plan. I closed the #2.5 once or twice in my life (maybe they were just one offs) but have never actually dedicated any time or consistency training grippers (which I hope to now!). Cheers.

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AcroBend said:

Glad you're back on the Gripboard!  Partner acrobatics is extremely impressive stuff!  How long ago did I send you a bending kit?  I haven't put those together in a long, long time.  I was just telling another GB member about those kits the other day.  I don't put them together anymore, but there are great companies - some sponsors of this board - that have excellent bending stock. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bencrush said:

Glad you're back on the Gripboard!  Partner acrobatics is extremely impressive stuff!  How long ago did I send you a bending kit?  I haven't put those together in a long, long time.  I was just telling another GB member about those kits the other day.  I don't put them together anymore, but there are great companies - some sponsors of this board - that have excellent bending stock. 

Thank you! It's good to be back and see some familiar faces. Yes, partner acrobatics has been pretty awesome (before CV-19). And much like grip sport, it's a niche community. I have gotten a lot of compliments on my grip and wrist stability, so the signs were there for me to make a comeback here. 

Incredibly, I still have the box you mailed the kit in. December 2006 (yikes!). I'll just let the picture below speak for itself regarding just how much you put into it to lay out a training path for me to bend a red nail. 

As for my absence, I had chronic shoulder issues and had to give up on bending and then powerlifting. However, it all seems to have stemmed from underdeveloped scapular strength (relative to the rest of me). I just wasn't doing the correct exercises to address it, in addition to my failure to properly identify the underlying cause. I'm good now, and ready to resume. 

IMG_20200713_183647.jpg

• Like 1