Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

Get disappointed go smash them tomorrow! What right do they have to make you feel like crap all week.

• Like 2

very dissapointend with my squats.

We all have those days...

Have you tried the squat shoes yet?

• Like 1

Yes, i like them. I have shoesize 45 but I need the 46 2/3. They feel sturdy. Haven't done other lifts with these, but I feel they are comfortable and give just that little heellift.

Yes, i like them. I have shoesize 45 but I need the 46 2/3. They feel sturdy. Haven't done other lifts with these, but I feel they are comfortable and give just that little heellift.

Would you say it makes squatting a bit more 'comfortable'?

Get disappointed go smash them tomorrow! What right do they have to make you feel like crap all week.

Haha. Love this. Gonna add this to my sig. line.

Geralt...take this to heart. :)

• Like 2

Would you say it makes squatting a bit more 'comfortable'?

It's hard to say after just one crap session of squats lol but yes. Now I must say I do not have any problems with hitting ATG dept, I can squat easily with feet fully flat on the ground, but it still seems to take a little bit of pressure out of coming out the hole.

Last wednesday outside I did standing shoulderpresses. Haven't done these in a long time. Worked up to 60kg. Rotator cuff, laterals, etc and Tri's. Still sore triceps today.

Today:

Squats for CNS up to 130kg singles. They felt good today.

Good grippersession, concentrated on wide rep work with IM#2.5 and 20mm blocksetwork from that position. Makes the gripper a complete now level for me instead of working MMS only with it.

The same approach with my filed IM#2, till my arms were so pumped I thought they'd blew up.

Wristwork (curls and levers) and Vulcan thumbscrews.

Alternating squats with deadlifts per week. See how that works. Inspired by Eric Milfed I tried 20 rep DL for 'fun' to see where I would be. Did 150kg x 20, which was pretty intense.

Did them with my trapbar, I had to throw in some touch & go's, otherwise I wouldn't have completed the set. This is the first time trying this high rep range. Killing!

Ended with some BW horizontal pull with a V handle (neutral grip) and abs. Energy level was pretty low after this. Should have eaten more before training. I will post a vid later, filmed it to see what my form would do.

• Like 2

I couldn't do this. Very strong Geralt!

Thanks guys! Well it is a real shocker, wanted to some lighter squats after this but stood before my rack and thought 'nah' haha

Alternating squats with deadlifts per week. See how that works. Inspired by Eric Milfed I tried 20 rep DL for 'fun' to see where I would be. Did 150kg x 20, which was pretty intense.

Did them with my trapbar, I had to throw in some touch & go's, otherwise I wouldn't have completed the set. This is the first time trying this high rep range. Killing!

Ended with some BW horizontal pull with a V handle (neutral grip) and abs. Energy level was pretty low after this. Should have eaten more before training. I will post a vid later, filmed it to see what my form would do.

At least you did something afterwards. I went straight inside the nice cool house, drank a beer, and uploaded the video. And doing squats three days later is something I paid for, but I do feel almost recovered now, sort of. Lol.

Really nice set, Geralt! You got to get tough to push past those ten reps... ten more times!

• Like 1

At least you did something afterwards. I went straight inside the nice cool house, drank a beer, and uploaded the video. And doing squats three days later is something I paid for, but I do feel almost recovered now, sort of. Lol.

Really nice set, Geralt! You got to get tough to push past those ten reps... ten more times!

Thank you Eric haha oh well, beer deserved I would say lol

well today I feel pretty good, bit of a sore ass and light tension in the traps, so no complaints at this point. Tomorrow just shoulderpress and tri's. I am curious btw what you can do with a trapbar. i know you train for comps so probably not the best investment, but it is a real shin-saver. Also a bit more natural for me, although I have no flexability issues for regular DL.

Edited by Geralt

I don't seem to gain as much of a leverage advantage on the trap as a lot of guys do. The last time I actually did a workout on one was in 1999. I did like five reps without too much effort with 495, but I was pulling over 600 on a barbell at the time. But as the handles start getting higher, as in farmers implement deadlifts, I get a big boost. When I weighed 185, and not training deadlifts at the time, I was able to pull 735 (I think that was the weight) with an 18" height. I kind of want to see what I could pull on 18" high handles with some specific training on my farmers, now that I'm a lot stronger. I think 900 would be a good goal. Total weight, of course. Lol.

And my shins take a horrific beating on barbells, also. That's why I only train in my sweatpants now. I've always pulled the bar against my shins all the way up.

I don't seem to gain as much of a leverage advantage on the trap as a lot of guys do. The last time I actually did a workout on one was in 1999. I did like five reps without too much effort with 495, but I was pulling over 600 on a barbell at the time. But as the handles start getting higher, as in farmers implement deadlifts, I get a big boost. When I weighed 185, and not training deadlifts at the time, I was able to pull 735 (I think that was the weight) with an 18" height. I kind of want to see what I could pull on 18" high handles with some specific training on my farmers, now that I'm a lot stronger. I think 900 would be a good goal. Total weight, of course. Lol.

And my shins take a horrific beating on barbells, also. That's why I only train in my sweatpants now. I've always pulled the bar against my shins all the way up.

Duuuude that are big ass weights. - kneels down and bows head -

Well, I'm not competing so I just take the trapbar as a more 'comfortable' way for putting load on my girly frame lol keep it up Eric. Good stuff.

Wednesday: Shoulders

Today: Grip

* Warming up with Vulcan and IM#2 TNS work;

* IM#3 (142) MMS close;

* IM#3 (153) MMS close;

* IM2.5 CCS immediately followed by 20mm blockset. This is tough for me, since I am basically still learning myself a new ROM with grippers. Also the fiddling with picking up the 20mm block after the CCS takes getting used to.

1 x CCS, 2 x 20mm blockset;

1 x CCS, 2 x 20mm blockset (but just);

this felt very hard and after these sets I picked up my old filed 2.5 and did a CCS and was surprised with how much easier it was! So took my newer one to my shed and WD40'd the crap out of the spring.

Made a world of difference after that. Also no more squeeking.

8 x 1 CCS trying to overcrush, felt like I had a complete different gripper. Show how much difference out of the package makes compared to having a seasoned gripper.

* Plateloader! didn't use this one in a looooong time. Like it a lot. Handlewidth set to app. 4,5cm (1,9" or so) @80kg, so pretty wide set. Really makes starting the movement tough. End of the close not so much but want to work the weakest part of the chain.

* Thumbscrews, several sets;

* Extensor curls with dumbbell

Finished.

Edited by Geralt

That looks like a solid train. Can you CCS your IM3 (142)?

Yes, also my 153 but it is/was every time a fluke when it happened, more coincedence and not consistent. Now I am building a more solid base, not focusing on mms anymore which for me, is a complete different motionrange. It is coming along slowly. Can't say I didn't try every possibilty in the end haha

http://youtu.be/mlB_tp7UgIo

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 2

Spraypainted my plateloader today, going to use it more. Looks much better!

post-15002-0-72165300-1438282511_thumb.j

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 3

Spraypainted my plateloader today, going to use it more. Looks much better!

'Pimp my plateloader'! Maybe add some pinstriping?

Looks awesome.

• Like 1

Grippersession today. Didn't log my other workouts this week, but I have only done one session last monday. Did legs and did some fiddling around with new training ideas together with squats.

Grippers

The wide set work last weeks had it's influence on my MMS strength, but that was expected. So I just started MMS work again with gripperholds, which will hopefully kickstart my MMS strength again. It's just for keeping my strength up, will switch back again to wide set work but it's a nice change after a few weeks of wide sets.

Warming up with plateloader, up to 60 kg both hands, together with wristwork;

BBE #169 deep set and hold for time, but opened up immediately, wasn't warmed up enough, should have done a few gripper closes before or heavier plateloader. Need to figure that out.

BBE #162 deep set and closed for 8 seconds;

Ghp8 #176, deep set and almost closed, held the nearly closed position for 4 seconds;

BBE #169, deep set and closed for 5 seconds;

IM#3 #149 MMS 1 x 3 reps, 4th missed by a hair;

IM#3 #149 thin straphold with 1kg attached, made a video of this;

Plateloader #120kg, both hands, 1 x 5 from let's say MMS handlewidth;

Plateloader #110kg, both hands, 2 x 20 reps. Killing!

Fingerwalks with wooden hammer with additional 2kg strapped on it, 2 x 1 each hand, sick pump;

Several sets of thumbscrews.

Edited by Geralt

Some more stuff after heavy gripperwork today, my laptop is broken so i can't edit videos anymore. I have one from work but it won't let me install moviemaker.

Just some stuff so you can see how I set it up.

IM#3 reps (149 lbs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBldKsLwZaE

Plateloader, 20 reps 100 kg sets of 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvnO5FSpBNE

Hammer fingerwalks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C49kI9mTklA

• Like 1

that hammer is awesome...I've never seen anyone do these so I guess I'll ask the rookie questions. What is the benefit of this movement? Does this carry over to crush strength or is it more of a conditioning exercise? Thanks man, awesome videos.