Avoiding Pain/tendonitis

arande2

In the past I did specific grip work and got pain/tendonitis problems especially with grippers and sledge work. (I have a grip training log that's a few years old on here)

I began again a few months ago with just thick bar (holding and hanging), plate pinches, and recently I've started with super light sledge work. So far so good.

And hot/cold cycling helped (and stretching and antagonistic exercises), but it seems like it was in the finger joints themselves, like it's the angle of the gripper.

I'm interested in what you have to say.

-A

Certain exercises just have their way of irritating tendons... For me it's claw style pinch like hub and also wrist rolling... Heavy grippers too if done too often. 2hp used to kill my elbows but I've worked pronation/supination often enough to toughen the elbows. Nowadays my skin gives out before my elbows with 2hp.

Try and strike a balance in your training and have diverse goals, which can help you avoid a training mindset that leads to chronic injuries.

So I think I may have found something new to help with my own tendonitis issues. Over the years I've worked through various ones, such as the tennis elbow from grippers, bicep tendon attachment at the shoulder tendonitis from bending, etc. Have tried many different things to rid myself of those and did so successfully eventually with rest and combinations of treatments. However the worst one has been the Plantar Fascitis in my foot. Also a type of tendonitis or tendon inflammation at the attachment of the heel. I have been trying to shake that for over 2 years trying all the methods I had used before as well as cortisone injections, the specific stretching protocols that are supposed to fix it, etc. All without success. I started seeing a Naturopath Doctor about 6 weeks ago for hair analysis to see if he could help me target what was going on as to mineral deficiencies or toxicities causing the overall systemic inflammation issues I've been having for some time including this PF. He is a friend of a friend and I kept hearing amazing stories about how he has been using hair analysis and some interesting science and mineral supplementation to fix a variety of issues by getting each individual's numbers to align with optimal over time through this method. Anyway to get to the point, Based on our initial discussions he had me start taking quite a bit of Magnesium Citrate (orally and epson salt baths, etc) and Potassium Citrate in specific forms to get my Calcium levels down (cause of inflammation). Also he had me stop taking vitamin D as that raises Calcium levels in tissues dramatically when you supplement it and not create it normally. I meet with him today to discuss the results from the first hair sample and adjust other mineral issues but I tell you what, Feeling tons better, memory getting better ( it was getting pretty bad ), Less cravings for coffee, appetite no longer out of control, and the systemic inflammation down significantly as well as the PF actually healing. I can get out of bed in the morning without pain for the first time in 2+ years.

Never thought I would be suggesting something like this but the Doctors, GP, Gastroent, Podiatrist, etc failed me miserably.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn
  • Like 4

anyone get sore wrists after blob training seems to happen every time and then bother me the next day for benching or pressing

Also i have had pain in my middle finger the middle part for about 2-3 weeks now anyone ever experience this

Blobs wear me down too... Wide pinch is pretty tough on the hands and forearms.. Can't do do them as often as I do thickbar

anyone get sore wrists after blob training seems to happen every time and then bother me the next day for benching or pressing

Also i have had pain in my middle finger the middle part for about 2-3 weeks now anyone ever experience this

The wrists seem to bend back a little when lifting block weights. So it's an isometric hold you're doing with the wrist. If you don't stretch the back of your wrist after training with the blocks, they could hurt a bit afterwards. Not saying that may help for sure, but it can go a long way in helping. Get some blood in there with light reverse wrist curl's before the block work, and after. Then stretch. At least you'll be doing something to tackle the compression in the wrists we all have to deal with training grip.

Go slowly mate. Grippers is my enemy but if I go slowly I get stronger and without pain.

yea im still not sure what this injury/type thign is going on with my middle finger

like the middle part of the finger is always sore/hurts if i touch put pressure on it

i havent been able to do and gripper stuff at all with my left hand i still have been doing RT and Blob stuff but when i use the gripper it seems its like the exact spot where the gripper hits just kills the injury

Sounds like it could be a bone bruise. From experience those can take a long time to heal if that is what it is.