Reinard's Grip Training

daniel reinard

Bored today so deviated from the agenda and tried some antagonistic work.

Clean and presses on axle sounded like a good idea but the already tight shoulders didn't like it.

Went to axle bent over rows. Those felt great so did a bunch of sets of 6. These seemed to deload the shoulders nicely.

Gripper tns closes. UP to #2 for several reps and sets.

Empty axle bar thumbless axle wrist curls both ways for 4 sets of 30 reps. Man this was burning up the forearms a ton. Quite the needed pump.

Edited by daniel reinard

bench and bending

bench

added 5# again and did 3x1. dropped the weight then did some baby reps to fry the chest

bending DO

60d x3 IMPS

19/64" O1 IMPs

ss hex BGWs. bent on the flat again so it froze at 2.5". damn why does it always bend on the flat. makes the crush stupid hard.

Q attempt in BGWs. Yeah it was only a wobble. Crazy hard bar.

Called it quits early in bending. Fingers are tore up and I feel under recovered. Gonna wait 8 days until next session.

workout from a few days ago...forgot to log. was a pivotal day in bending

deads, oly bar conv stance

heavy singles and finished with a double at same weight. still building up to where I was last year.

bending IMPs, crush work only

discovered a new crush technique that added huge power. why haven't i been doing this all along?! was a simple hand adjustment. with that said...

fbbc ss hex frozen on the flat at 2.125" done easy.

fbbc ss hex frozen on the flat at 2.5" done easy.

6.5" golden bastard at 3" crushed to 1.6" easy.

standing barb

Dan, would you be willing to explain what you did, my crush is need of improvement.

Of course. I want to make a quick vid of it because it is hard to explain and in all my years of bending I've never heard anyone mention the best way to crush. I always thought I was weak at it but it just turns out I wasn't optimizing power transfer.

Until I get a chance to make the vid I'll try to explain. Basically on an interlocked finger chest crush you place the bar into the palms and crush with chest power and fingers pulling in for assistance. (pulling in with the fingers really helps). Anyways, the thing I figured out was that the bar was being held nice and square in the palms. What happens with that is the power being pushed into the legs of the bar is kind of evenly distributed along the bar. Stupid me. So what I did was rotate my wrists out so that the only parts of my palms were touched pushing against the very ends of the legs. You get less of a finger pull because the index and middle fingers are further apart. Basically interlock the fingers for a crush then rotate the wrists out so you are barely interlocked with the index and all the palm power is focused against the tips of the bar. Def hard to explain. I'll make a vid soon. either I'm an idiot for never knowing this or since no one has ever mentioned it it's just not common knowledge.

• Like 1

Bench bending and some grippers.

Axle bench

190 5x1 1x2 paused.

160 3x3 paused flat style chest focus

8" g2s imps

Q sweep isos

Hex crush isos

60d fun. A few nails bent twice in the same nail. One crushed down to 1/4".

Grippers tns #2 and #2.5. Nothing too hard.

Edited by daniel reinard

Sweep and Crush technique talk

youtu.be/1D9u1PPWOks]

Edited by daniel reinard

Dan, would you be willing to explain what you did, my crush is need of improvement.

Of course. I want to make a quick vid of it because it is hard to explain and in all my years of bending I've never heard anyone mention the best way to crush. I always thought I was weak at it but it just turns out I wasn't optimizing power transfer.

Until I get a chance to make the vid I'll try to explain. Basically on an interlocked finger chest crush you place the bar into the palms and crush with chest power and fingers pulling in for assistance. (pulling in with the fingers really helps). Anyways, the thing I figured out was that the bar was being held nice and square in the palms. What happens with that is the power being pushed into the legs of the bar is kind of evenly distributed along the bar. Stupid me. So what I did was rotate my wrists out so that the only parts of my palms were touched pushing against the very ends of the legs. You get less of a finger pull because the index and middle fingers are further apart. Basically interlock the fingers for a crush then rotate the wrists out so you are barely interlocked with the index and all the palm power is focused against the tips of the bar. Def hard to explain. I'll make a vid soon. either I'm an idiot for never knowing this or since no one has ever mentioned it it's just not common knowledge.

That's a big eyeopener for me Dan - thanks for sharing!

the other day did some speed deadlifts and light bending. skin tears are out of control so will need to sideline kink work until the skin is healed. skin is the limiting factor right now. frustrating.

not much going on right now. this past week the right shoulder and elbow have been super buggered. I don't know how it happened but things are real tight and causing pain. shoulder is about 100% now and elbow is getting there. I must have slept on it wrong or something. weird. No amount of massage, stretching or antagonistic work fixed it. only temp relief.

Have you done any prep for this king kong contest? I've been busy also haven't made it the gym that often but curious where your pinch is right now to see if I stand even a chance to make it interesting lol. I know your best pinch is way better then what I have done on either 1hp or the hub but not sure if you have been doing it much recently.

Glad your injuries are healing up, bending can be brutal with injuries in general. Its such an explosive movement that its easy to have be off balance a little that could cause injuries quickly.

Yeah I know I'm only good to bend for a few months in spurts before the body starts to get pissed. I've been so focused on the BB goal that I haven't done any prep work for the contest. Don't worry about me. I'm way lower than my contest form right now. As you know bending also takes a big toll on ones grip. I just aim to have fun at the contest. I didn't want it to interupt the bending progress tho. This is my last stab at making a significant mark on the sport of bending.

Got in some deads and benching yesterday to test the elbow and shoulder. Both held up fine. Time to resume...

Bending did not test well tho so I'll be trying to get that going again.

• Like 1

bench, barbell rows, light bending and some crush work, and curls for the ladies.

scored a barbell for free from a coworker. will be nice to have a normal bar for bench and squats.

• Like 3

Did you get that Okie bar for deadlifts that you were thinking about?

I bought that earlier in the year. this new one is just a regular barbell that will be nice to use for bench and squats instead of the homemade axle I've been using for years.

Whoa. That looks tough. Pretty sure my neighbors would run me over tho while I am trying the feat in the street.

Did some barbell benching. Takes getting used to since I always use an axle. Bent some 60d nails, closed some grippers and hit some fatgripz curls.