Rich Williams

Hubgeezer

In two weeks and a day, the IronMind Record Breakers grip contest will be held in Northern California (Santa Clara) at the second Fit Expo being held up there. Last year, the first year, was good, but other than Adam Glass in all events, Odd Haugen in two events (Rolling Thunder and A Axle), and Clay Edgin in the Silver Bullet, there were not any Super Stars of the Grip World competing.

This time around, there is Mike Burke traveling from Colorado, Alexey Tyukalov from Russia (How much is the Air Fare for that???), Clay Edgin I believe for the complete contest (what has that been, 8 years?), and Rich Williams. Here was the announcement concerning Rich Williams a while back on the IronMind News:

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2013/May/IronMind_Record_Breakers_Welcomes_Rich_Williams.html

I think that Rich Williams' stepping up and traveling 3000 miles to compete in a contest with virtually no prize money, just for the sake of the game, is one of the Coolest Moments to date in the Grip World. My hat goes off to him, and I look forward to seeing it all first hand.

• Like 2

I too think Rich is attending because he's ready to reclaim the axle record. I won't be there too watch, but I can't wait to hear all about the event.

I guess I think it is more than getting a record. I think it is about going head-to-head against the best. Records are always going to be broken. I am completely speculating, but I think it is a competitive fire-in-the-belly thing. Don't know Rich, never met him, seems like a great guy, but I assume it is a positive drive to be the best and not be afraid to risk it all and put it all on the line.

I would speculate that the presence of some legitimate competition from several guys have given him that fire in the belly. Should be a great battle.

In two weeks and a day, the IronMind Record Breakers grip contest will be held in Northern California (Santa Clara) at the second Fit Expo being held up there. Last year, the first year, was good, but other than Adam Glass in all events, Odd Haugen in two events (Rolling Thunder and A Axle), and Clay Edgin in the Silver Bullet, there were not any Super Stars of the Grip World competing.

This time around, there is Mike Burke traveling from Colorado, Alexey Tyukalov from Russia (How much is the Air Fare for that???), Clay Edgin I believe for the complete contest (what has that been, 8 years?), and Rich Williams. Here was the announcement concerning Rich Williams a while back on the IronMind News:

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2013/May/IronMind_Record_Breakers_Welcomes_Rich_Williams.html

I think that Rich Williams' stepping up and traveling 3000 miles to compete in a contest with virtually no prize money, just for the sake of the game, is one of the Coolest Moments to date in the Grip World. My hat goes off to him, and I look forward to seeing it all first hand.

Who is signed up for what at this point?

No idea what Clay has been up too really the last couple years but he was a pretty serious grip guy for a while back then and darn strong. Burke is a monster and Rich is a 400# mountain of a man - big numbers should certainly fall. Somehow we have to get these monsters hands on a two hand pinch setup to see what they can do with one.

Bump. And I said that just a few days ago...

Mike - you can take those guys :).

Yeah? I was going to say on the Wall Street Journal thread that if Rich's quote upset them too much, I would just kick his ass when I see him in 10 days :):ph34r:

• Like 1

Yeah? I was going to say on the Wall Street Journal thread that if Rich's quote upset them too much, I would just kick his ass when I see him in 10 days :):ph34r:

LOL

Who is signed up for what at this point?

No idea what Clay has been up too really the last couple years but he was a pretty serious grip guy for a while back then and darn strong. Burke is a monster and Rich is a 400# mountain of a man - big numbers should certainly fall. Somehow we have to get these monsters hands on a two hand pinch setup to see what they can do with one.

Clay has some vids up on his YouTube. He is STRONG as an ox. He will be a force.

Guest Squat More

Looking forward to my boy Rich taking back that axle record, it is going to be epic - all respect to Burke but after seeing Rich's training on the 3" axle and his volume pulls on the 2", I just don't see Burke beating him. Rich has never trained grip specifically, and has dominated so many guys in contests, especially on thickbar stuff. With him focused on this, I wouldn't doubt seeing a 550 pull.

• Like 1

About two years ago, Williams was doing 540 in training. I'm sure he'll do 550. Especially since he will not act on other disciplines.

About two years ago, Williams was doing 540 in training. I'm sure he'll do 550. Especially since he will not act on other disciplines.

If all he will be doing is the Axle, I am sure IronMind will recognize the record, but pulling a record as a "single event", will Grip Sport recognize it as such? Up to now, there had been agreement as to who and what the record was, going back to 2006 with Haugen's 454 in a Southern California contest, which has moved upward a number of times...

And, if he does not participate in the other events, it will probably always have an "asterisk" to it, much like the late Roger Maris.

Is it a Rising Bar contest?

Guest Squat More

If all he will be doing is the Axle, I am sure IronMind will recognize the record, but pulling a record as a "single event", will Grip Sport recognize it as such? Up to now, there had been agreement as to who and what the record was, going back to 2006 with Haugen's 454 in a Southern California contest, which has moved upward a number of times...

And, if he does not participate in the other events, it will probably always have an "asterisk" to it, much like the late Roger Maris.

Does it really matter? Is there an Asterisk beside Spoto's bench record? Is there an Asterisk beside Magnussons deadlift record? Can anyone who competes in North American Grip Sport even come close to Rich or Burke in the strength of their pulls? If not, maybe it's best if they don't recognize it, so the guys who compete in those competitions have a chance at someday holding the record.

In the end who cares who else recognizes it in their grip org or blog or website as the record, Rich will be king of the hill and will be recognized as the Iron Mind record holder, and since it's their axle it is all that will matter.

Yeah I was gonna say that I'm not sure Rich is looking for any attention from our secret society.

This is going to be quite the contest though, and I can't wait for results! Very exciting.

• Like 1

Big Rich dropped by last night at Summerstrong 6 to say hello to everyone. I haven't seen him in sometime and questioned him , " we'll how are things?" As I waited for a reply I saw a rested, fit, larger than ever 415 lb.giant. He said he went through several injuries and in the process of rehab changed his training pace. Typically going into any heavy test in a fatigued state he has embraced recovery and reduced volume( I can't believe his reduced training load) his cardio ,careful healthy diet,and stretching with kettle bells has entered his program. I respect his space so I was treated to see some recent training lifts he has forwarded to You Tube. A single down set of axle deadlifts of 435 for 18 consecutive solid reps after a series of 3 up to 515lbs just slacked my jaw. He seems in great spirits and refreshed, I see no malice in his eyes other than to the Iron. It was good time.

I am looking forward to this. First grip comp been to.

Does it really matter? Is there an Asterisk beside Spoto's bench record? Is there an Asterisk beside Magnussons deadlift record? Can anyone who competes in North American Grip Sport even come close to Rich or Burke in the strength of their pulls? If not, maybe it's best if they don't recognize it, so the guys who compete in those competitions have a chance at someday holding the record.

In the end who cares who else recognizes it in their grip org or blog or website as the record, Rich will be king of the hill and will be recognized as the Iron Mind record holder, and since it's their axle it is all that will matter.

Nope but I think in powerlifting that full meet lifts are treated differently I could be mistaken though. Andrew duriant is pretty close to burkes pull despite being around 100lbs lighter, I still consider him p4p the best grip athlete in the world. Its not like rich is a one trick pony anyways he has dominated mighty mitts which is the biggest contest right now in grip. Also as far as him not training grip I saw in an interview he feels his grip is as strong as it is due to training with thick bar implements for most of his lifting career since world record holder donnie thompson who trained with him quite a bit like to use thick bar a lot. He is gifted but obviously anyone who is that strong has put in years of work I think its a disservice to say he was just born that way and didn't work very hard to be that strong.

I"m really excited for this contest though and I think rich will win also. The only man I think that could challenge him is brian shaw and he has not shown interest in competing at a grip contest. I wont be surprised if one of the other guys win though, all of them are very strong.

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 2

King of the hill of what? He has a motherload to prove if he wants to claim the title as the king of pinch and there little to suggest that he is the 'king of crush'. The latter title, I am sure most agree, goes to Nathan Holle. That leaves us with the same old thickbar lifting, the only grip event strongmen almost always are good at.

King of the hill of what? He has a motherload to prove if he wants to claim the title as the king of pinch and there little to suggest that he is the 'king of crush'. The latter title, I am sure most agree, goes to Nathan Holle. That leaves us with the same old thickbar lifting, the only grip event strongmen almost always are good at.

Hey Mikael, the way you did that quote you made it seem like I would be calling Rich king of the hill. Not me. I am not convinced that ANYONE would travel 3000 miles to participate in one event of a 5 event contest. And, if they did, and won their one event, I would not call them King of anything. Grippers, Rolling Thunder, Hub, etc. I understand that some of the attraction of this event is that it is 5 individual and independent activities. But most of us want to see someone like Burke against someone like Rich on more than just one specialty...

The biggest complaint I have with the so called main stage contests is that there is no "pinch" test involved. We finally are getting all these monsters together but its the same old tests each time -there are some other components of grip I would enjoy seeing - such as levering and pinch.

• Like 1

Yeah Chris, more incumbent on hand size in thick bar. It helps to be able to hook grip that stuff.