Grip Programing?

MattM

Grip Programming*?

Hello all, I am hoping to start some more organized training for my grip. I compete in strongman so I have a fair grip base, but not much of an idea of how to design a program that allows for recovery and good progress. Here are some grip tools I have I'd like to include in the training:

Rolling Thunder

York and deep dish plates (standard weights)

Ropes (thick, and regular)

2, 1.5, 1, Trainer CoC Grippers

Axle (thickbar)

Giant DB 145#

A big box of old phone books

Fat Gripz Handles (the ones that let the barbell fall through the bottom if you don't squeeze)

Working on getting a wrist roller.... :/

Using these tools, how would you build overall grip strength keeping training economy in mind? Thanks in advance for any replies!

Edited by MattM

You can make a wrist roller out of a 2ft broom handle dow rod whatever and

2ft of string ,paracord , rope even a old shoe string.

Then just tie some weight on it.

Good point, right now we use the axle and put a ratcheting strap on it if we do wrist roller work... however I do have the handle to a model I used a few years ago. I never re-tied it so it is sitting around in disrepair and on my to-do list! Any suggestions for which grip movements to include, training frequency ect.?

Include grip into your speed lifts if you'd like to incorporate whole body training and don't have much time. Cleans, snatches, high pulls, continentals all are axle staples for me now and both strength and grip have vastly improved.

• Like 2

Include grip into your speed lifts if you'd like to incorporate whole body training and don't have much time. Cleans, snatches, high pulls, continentals all are axle staples for me now and both strength and grip have vastly improved.

Yes!

And also, carries.

Also, just do a grip lift at the end of a session like ou would any other heavy lift. I do three four lifts in any session; the first two are primary lifts, the third is an auxiliary lift, the last is always a grip lift.

• Like 1

I'll keep the advice in mind! So I'm instead of programming my training I should just include related movements at the end of my workouts... interesting.