Neck Strain And Grip.

diomedes

Sometimes on my limit lifts, I notice a bit of neck strain later on/the next day. I'm not grinding my teeth at all, just getting really tense throughout the neck and upper trap area. What can be done about this? On a (possibly) related note, does anybody here do/recommend any direct neck training as a part of their overall program?

Sometimes on my limit lifts, I notice a bit of neck strain later on/the next day. I'm not grinding my teeth at all, just getting really tense throughout the neck and upper trap area. What can be done about this? On a (possibly) related note, does anybody here do/recommend any direct neck training as a part of their overall program?

I'd see a chiropractor or doctor before it gets too crazy. I just had shoulder surgery last year and battled some recovery problems. Once that eased up I ended up hurting my neck deadlifting. Dealt with it for about 8 months before getting an mri a few weeks ago. Mri says I got buldging disk between C2,C3,C4,C5,C6,T1,T2. Pinched nerves and spurs on top of that. Was old injuries compounded over the years and deadlifting set it off. If you got any issues I'd have it looked at right now. I can still train here and there but nothing like I want to. It sucks...period. Get it looked at before you do serious damage. Wish I would have.

It seems to be more muscular strain than anything else, but for sure, I'll get my chiro to check it out. I'm about due for a tune-up anyway.

I'd recommend the chiro like Kody said, and also, put a tennis ball on the floor and lay on top of it and roll out your neck, traps, and back of the shoulders. If it doesn't hurt while you're doing it, then you're not doing it right.

Edit: It should hurt/be uncomfortable when rolling on the tennis ball, not while training LOL

Edited by Anthony C.
  • Like 1

try a simple mouth guard from walmart. even through you arent noticing any grinding the act of clenching your teeth may be enough to cause these pains. i had them when i was bending. mouth guard cleared it right up.

• Like 1

I have a mouthguard, maybe try it out with tomorrows workout. Chiro appointment has been set for Friday. No neck pain for my regular routine... just after grip.

My lifts have gone up as well as grip by the stretch protocol of a thompson. Brut recently added a neck Agnes's with a gang of the lightest short sorinex bands attached to a pull-up bar. Neck traction greatly helps grip to decompress cervical vertebrae that presses down on nerves running down neck , through shoulders and down arms into hands. Very helpful! Great results.

• Like 1

Sorry the spell check has a mind of its own. I suspend from a pull-up bar a ganged group of short minni sorinex bands and sit down with head/ neck supported by a online available neck harness. I do 3 sets of 3 minutes, one at each level of added strap. Really works. Chiropractor is an expensive short term fix at best. Believe me It has cost thousands to repair my injured neck from last years injuries. Neck issues directly impact hand strength!

Dou you know if there is a video of this traction exercise? I'd want to make sure I've got it set up properly before I go mucking about with my neck.

Just inflammation, apparently. Went to my chiro, he said everything is in place, suggested a few exercises (self-resistance and rubber band stuff) for my neck. He did suggest using a mouthguard for grip/thickbar work. I've always received good advice from this guy, he was a judo player growing up, so he actually knows a lot about different kinds of grip training.

Most of the folks in the gym are now doing the Thompson Protocol stretching and the neck harness decompression with bands. My bench and standing press for no particular reason has gone up about ten percent and the triceps and shoulder muscles contract with much more force as I press. The increased spinal fluid flow ,and pressure off nerve dramaged areas from my fall are reduced. Doubles ,raw ,and with pause at 300 last night following a busy travel weekend was pretty encouraging. Hundo was repping 375 for doubles and Johnny Dungeon was hammering 255. Ms Sonya although fighting a sore hip didn't miss a beat and brought a new generation potential lifter Ty that I might, if he has the heart along with his Young wide shoulders is in for the long run. Bert and Cyborg worked away on new coaching tips and methods.

I was unaware of the urban legend deal about the Hulksters voice during Henry's Inch replica lift.. People in many cases want to believe in things and want to feel that with hard work alone or luck "anything is possible."Sadly , not in most cases .People "need "legends to set a personal perhaps mythical goal to always try to attain and by nature and many desire that chance of 15 minutes of fame. I hope thinking the Hulk was there "in strength "cheering Mark on instead of for the 12 years intelligent men like Hubgeezer have been misled buy " a joke gone bad" people saying it was "the man."

Sorry , trying to run a meeting I put my reply to neck deloading advances in the first paragraph and in a second paragraph destined for my daily "Ashes blog "was a comment in accord with Hub Geezer as to how folk legends and stories start and become for the good or bad engrained in strength culture.