Do Grippers Vary?

Electron

You bet they do. Here is my latest and greatest example of this phenomenon.

-The BeefBuilder Master gripper usually rates around 105lbs, just easier than the average #2. This gripper is a 5/8" model, making the close tighter and a bit harder. It weighs just over one third of a pound.

-The Bonecrusher 400 gripper is a replica of the Heavy Grip 400 gripper. The original had a very limited run and a cash prize was offered to the first closer. This gripper is meant to be very difficult, but is seldom rated because of its solid steel 1" handles, which make rating it or closing it more difficult. It weighs in at a whopping one pound.

Overall Comparison

As you can see here, the size difference is clear.

Spring Comparison

Here is a comparison of the springs, and again the BC400 belittles the BBM. The BC400 makes even the #3 look like a toy.

So I was surprised when these grippers were rated by Eric Milfeld (who's ratings are comparable to Matt Cannon's) and the Beef Builder Master gripper was rated as harder than the BC400.

-BBM: 130lbs (Much harder than my #2.5, and a huge positive outlier)

-BC400: 128lbs (Much easier than any #3, and an enormous negative outlier)

Mount Comparison

Here you can see the negative mount that the BBM has... the spring coil actually depresses between the handles.
I've never seen anything quite like it.
Because these grippers are right in my ballpark for gripper closes, it'll be interesting to see which one I can close first.
The BC400 feels mushy and the BBM feels very tight - even though I'm comparatively good at narrow grippers.
Thanks for looking!
PS. If anybody could give me the nominal mount depth and the wire diameter of a Master gripper, I'd appreciate it because this thing may also be misstamped.

I have a master rated at 118...pretty damn heavy also considering their average. Not close to 130 though.

As for that hg400, that's an insanely low rating!

You have compared two of the brands that vary the most. That should be noted.

There's a reason the National's Set was built out of Tetting grippers. It actually wouldn't have been possible with any other line of grippers and two of the big reasons are the hand-crafted pinning of the handles (which results in various mounts) and also a seemingly non-proprietary spring supplier (which results in a GM that can be 130 or 150).

• Like 1

You have compared two of the brands that vary the most. That should be noted.

There's a reason the National's Set was built out of Tetting grippers. It actually wouldn't have been possible with any other line of grippers and two of the big reasons are the hand-crafted pinning of the handles (which results in various mounts) and also a seemingly non-proprietary spring supplier (which results in a GM that can be 130 or 150).

You're right, and I think this adds to the coolness. Especially since Tetting can customize to a greater degree by making narrow grippers, thin handles, etc.

However, I've still never seen another gripper with a negative mount, nor have I seen a gripper be 30+lbs easier than intended.

Edit: which results in a GM that can be 118 or 150

Yes, I've closed that one.

The 118 was a Master though, right?

The 118 was a Master though, right?

I am pretty sure it was a custom GM.

Eric owns it, it's a thin-steel-handled-unknurled-narrow-spread-weirdo.

Feels one of a kind.

HG400s have always been around or sub #3, given the variance in HGs this is not at all surprising.