The Gripmas Carol 2012

climber511

chris,

can you make a list of the grippers you do have so I know which ones to bring?

chris,

can you make a list of the grippers you do have so I know which ones to bring?

Brent - and everyone else coming to Gripmas

I have

With who has signed up so far - I don't think we'll need anything below a 150 gripper if that low with the chokers but a couple newer guys have expressed interest - if they do come - we could need others also.

What we need

plus any smaller gaps fillers if you have them.

And who know what Andrew will get this year - if you have something stupid hard - bring it for him. :)

I did a sort of "mock" contest training day yesterday and went through the whole thing. My forearms are sore to the touch today :grin:. The Medley is stupid hard and long - I sometimes wonder what kind of cruel joke God played on me with my left hand - it goes on strike just when I need it to do something :angry2: . Testing both hands is going to be "enlightening" I think for many of you (hint - spot a left handed 16# sledge lever - ouch).

• Like 1

Chris,

I dropped my form off in the mail this morning.

Chris,

I dropped my form off in the mail this morning.

Better late than never hehe!

I was reading through the medley list from this years Championship, and the medley for Gripmas Chris just posted. I have a question - what is the plywood lift? I *think* I saw it in the youtube vids. Is that the thin pinch you pick up with an overhand grip? How thick is the plywood? I want to make one of these.

I was reading through the medley list from this years Championship, and the medley for Gripmas Chris just posted. I have a question - what is the plywood lift? I *think* I saw it in the youtube vids. Is that the thin pinch you pick up with an overhand grip? How thick is the plywood? I want to make one of these.

Yes that is the lift. Mine is a piece of 3/8" thick steel that measures 6" x 7" - it has a hole big enough for a carabiner in it. It tests something a little different that most more traditional grip events.

Yes that is the lift. Mine is a piece of 3/8" thick steel that measures 6" x 7" - it has a hole big enough for a carabiner in it. It tests something a little different that most more traditional grip events.

The reason this is called "the Plywood Lift" is because the "first" time it was used in grip competition, Zach Coulter brought it to GGC 2007 or 2008. It was indeed made of wood. I took my turn on the medley and the damn thing snapped in half. Since then, they same type of device has been used, and it is usually made of steel now, to resist my monstrous grip strength. If anyone has my Card Tearing eBook, you'll see some drills using the "Slate." That is the exact same idea, testing the crimp grip of the fingers, as used in card tearing.

Danial has sent me (it arrived today - Thanks Danial) a GHP 7 given by Wade (Thanks Wade) for us to do the GHP cert with at Gripmas. This is the 1.5" block and most reps cert. The box is sealed and will be opened on camera when we get ready to start - just wanted to tell everyone about it and say thanks to Danial and Wade!

• Like 1

No prob Chris. Wade sent it to me to get people certed on it at my contests but our heavy hitters have been absent. I know you will have the crowd to put a good hurt to that gripper!

• 83K - Bob Sundin - 170
  • 93K - Brandon Gerber - 195
  • 93K - Kody Burns – 195
  • 105K - Chris Rice – 210
  • 105K - Andrew Panke – 220
  • 105K - Sean Dockery – 215
  • 105K - Andrew Durniant – 230
  • 105K - Brent Barbe - 225
  • 120K - Nick Rosendaul – 260
  • 120+ - Brad Ardrey – 270
  • 120+ - Jedd Johnson – 280
  • 120+ - Justin Kaye – 295
  • 120+ - John Eaton – 300
  • Katie Kaye – Lady – not sure yet on the Ladies – awaiting their decision
  • Mary Ann - Lady

Here's a list of competitors and expected weights - won't know until after official weigh ins of course. We ended up with a few more than expected - but wow what a list of competitors! Strong group!!!

Edited by barbe705
typo
  • Like 1

Just got a PM from Zach Coulter - he's coming too - don't have a BW for him yet.

As always, I am open to bringing any cool feat items with me for the comp. I have some of the scariest block weights on the planet. If anyone is feeling like "the man" I can bring them with me. Maybe you can even lift the Iron Grip Monster before i do, like Andrew Durniat and Brent Barbe have done (both bastards).

• Like 2

As always, I am open to bringing any cool feat items with me for the comp. I have some of the scariest block weights on the planet. If anyone is feeling like "the man" I can bring them with me. Maybe you can even lift the Iron Grip Monster before i do, like Andrew Durniat and Brent Barbe have done (both bastards).

Jedder - bring anything you want as challenge items - those blocks are stupid hard though! I hope we have enough energy afterwords to try some "feats". I have the GHP "Cert" for us to do already. I also want to say Thank you to Wade and the Gripper Superstore - I received a very nice surprise prize package from him this morning for Gripmas - Big Thank You to Wade!

• Like 1

• 83K - Bob Sundin - 170
  • 93K - Brandon Gerber - 195
  • 93K - Kody Burns – 195
  • 105K - Chris Rice – 210
  • 105K - Andrew Panke – 220
  • 105K - Sean Dockery – 215
  • 105K - Andrew Durniant – 230
  • 120K - Brent Barbe - 225
  • 120K - Nick Rosendaul – 260
  • 120+ - Brad Ardrey – 270
  • 120+ - Jedd Johnson – 280
  • 120+ - Justin Kaye – 295
  • 120+ - John Eaton – 300
  • Katie Kaye – Lady – not sure yet on the Ladies – awaiting their decision
  • Mary Ann - Lady

Here's a list of competitors and expected weights - won't know until after official weigh ins of course. We ended up with a few more than expected - but wow what a list of competitors! Strong group!!!

Chris, my "expected weight" should be more like 180, thanks.

Among the things Wade sent me is a GHP8 and a GHP9 - so we will be doing (or having them to do) any or those 3 certs. The cert rules can be seen on Wade's Gripper Superstore site.

• Like 1

I may end up in the 120kg class as well if I keep staying over 231, which is nice and my goal.

Here are some DO axle lifts from today

• Like 1

I thought you were going to get the double - way to make me feel like a sissy. That settles it - axle grease on the bar before you get a turn :)

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

just looked at the weather. it's going to be warm and wet for gripmas.

Warm (it says 57 for Sat) is good (the garage temp will be set at 62 as always) - wet not so much. Still kind of cold Friday night - for those of you bringing things for the contest - please keep them inside Friday night so they will be close to the same temp as the garage and not sweat. If you are bringing grippers - please bring hose clamps for them as I am completely out.

If anyone is looking for a hotel, I just made a res at the Zanesville super 8. The website quoted me $74 plus tax. i called them and it was only $69 + tax. Here's the number: 740-455-3124

I've stayed there a couple times and it is a good hotel.