Countering A Hook

Sonofwolf

Everytime someone hooks me i lost, especially if they have short forearms,how to counter it?If i can top roll them i own them in 1-2 seconds max.i have long forearms so hooks are my bane...To give you an example of the guys that own me on hook, think of Arsen

Edited by Sonofwolf

btw Arsen's transformation from 2005 is unreal.

c8769180.jpg

I'd love to arm wrestle the 2005 Arsen. Now no thanks, I need my arm

c8769180.jpg

Probably a meat and potatoes kind of guy. :getlost:

c8769180.jpg

Probably a meat and potatoes kind of guy. :getlost:

James what is your favorite way to hit pronation strength in the gym?

Lol Wes! If by meat and potatoes you mean...nevermind. James, the nylon handle maneuvered to go over the back of the hand to do curls from a low height and at eye-level. I am going to do a video this week to demonstrate.

• Like 1

like others said, rock solid post and focus on rotating through their pinky. Fight the pinky.....that is the key I believe. And speed will help a bunch. But if a dude wants the hook, he will probably get it unless your hand is significantly superior. I need to take my own advice, I'm still working on this same thing. Great question, hell yeah.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys! I'm confused on the idea of posting and attacking the pinky. I assumed posting was with a flexed wrist position which would make it tough to attack the pinky but maybe I'm misunderstanding it? Do you use backpressure(posting) but after the go drop the wrist and pronate?

Work your hook. Seriously. Then fight in the hook. If you fail to toproll a hooker, you mostly are in a bad situation.

The sausage king of Chicago makes a great point. When you post, you attack the weakest link (or in this case links) the pinky and ring fingers. If you can extend a hook puller's hand they will have a harder time turning you. The pronation you would use would be with a bent wrist (what some pullers refer to as downward rotation). Think of opening your opponent's hand and extending their arm. Use their momentum to bring them to your side. Sorry for the following sales pitch but I explain it a great deal in my book

Aah that book which I am not finding hehe