Grip Museum For The Grip Board!

mightyjoe

Joe has those PDA's shown up yet?

Not yet Sam. I,m certainly excited about receiving these one of kind grippers!

I,ll let you know when I get them.

Thanks!

Grip Museum Update: With this weeks donations there are now 285 torsion spring grippers and pictured

below is a H. Broom spring grip dumbbell from David Horne's collection. This was a very kind and generous

gift from GB member David Horne. This spring grip db is from circa 1920 and is in great condition and works

perfectly! The box is in bad condition but as a collector every piece is important and the box is the original

box. Huge Thanks to David for this wonderful addition to the Grip Museum!!!

I also received 6 PDA grippers from Sam Scott and a vintage Super Elite with the .312" spring that is currently

used on Grand Elite's. Sam acquired this gripper from Tommy Heslep. Tommy got the gripper from GB member

Bob Lipinski! This is one mean gripper! Pics SOON!

Note: Of the six PDA grippers Sam donated there's 3 of them that are supposed to be John Szimanski's "Test Grippers" These are a PDA #1, #2, and #3. I'm now researching all I can about these grippers so that I can have historical verification before I label these ultra rare grippers. The other 3 PDA's will be photographed along with the others this weekend and posted here on this sub forum. Also, if anyone knows anything about these "test grippers" can you PM me any details you may have that can be verified or list them here and we can discuss it for everyone to read and learn from. If someone has a decent pic of John S. I would love to do a special display in is memory along with these grippers once verified.

It was beyond generous of Sam Scott to donate these grippers and I can't express my Thanks enough to Sam! Obviously Sam has a passion for grippers and Grip and after getting to know him this year it became very obvious Sam has a great amount of knowledge on grippers!

Lastly, yesterday I received a Gold Star TSG from my dear friend Richard Sorin! This gripper came from Israel and is

one of the neatest grippers I've ever seen! I will post pics this weekend along with all the other grippers donated!

Great week for the Official Grip Museum for the Grip Board!!!

post-14752-0-02082700-1373631168_thumb.jpost-14752-0-49559800-1373631187_thumb.jpost-14752-0-43367900-1373631210_thumb.jpost-14752-0-16014300-1373631226_thumb.jpost-14752-0-32719900-1373631243_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hey Joe,

Cyberpump gallery shows a blue print of a 'PDA SOS press'.

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album02/aaj

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album02/aal

Assuming that's how those PDA stamped Ironmind gripper ended up being damaged.

Here are some pics of R Sorin and John together:

http://www.cyberpump.com/albums/album02/aam.thumb.jpg

http://www.cyberpump.com/albums/album02/aan.thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Joe do you have the short paper PDA put out about grippers? If not I may ? still have it and could send you a copy.

Hey Joe,

Thanks for this info Sam! You are really helping me out here my friend!

Can you send a larger image of John and Richard? The one posted is too small to do anything with.

Joe do you have the short paper PDA put out about grippers? If not I may ? still have it and could send you a copy.

I don't have a copy of that little booklet Chris and it would be awesome indeed if you could send me a copy

for sure. When all is said and done I'm going to assemble all the facts I've gathered and make a nice display

in remembrance of John Szimanski of PDA and his SOS grippers! Never knew the guy but from what I've gathered in

a small amount of time indicates to me that the man knew his trade well and was an original thinker and didn't fear

thinking outside the box so to speak. I'm really excited about this project and I'm even more excited that I can post

it all here on the GB!!!

Things are looking great for the Grip History forum here on the GB!!!

Here's a few pics as promised of the Gold Star Beer Bottle Gripper I received from Richard Sorin

yesterday for the Grip Museum!

This is a really unique gripper that's from Israel and Richard said it took weeks for him to get it here

to the United States.

A BIG Thank You to Richard Sorin for this wonderful addition to the Grip Museum!!!

post-14752-0-70271300-1373676571_thumb.jpost-14752-0-07447000-1373676589_thumb.jpost-14752-0-15107300-1373676606_thumb.j

Hey Joe,

Thanks for this info Sam! You are really helping me out here my friend!

Can you send a larger image of John and Richard? The one posted is too small to do anything with.

R Sorin would be your man for that: He had a picture of both himself and John shaking hands while the famous 621 gripper was being calibrated, which would be a very fitting photo.

Just to let everybody know, the PDA 266/357 I donated to Joe are also special in there own ways. The PDA 266 only has the IP rating and PDA stamping on it; the 357 has no PDA stamp. Fractional Plates have never commercially released grippers to the public with only these markings - you can be assured these are a very, very rare collection.

UPDATE:

There's been 2 additional brand names added to the current list and have been printed in bold below.

Also the total number of grippers has increased by 8 and the total amount of rated grippers has increased by 8.

Total Number of Grippers: 310

Total Number of Torsion Spring Grippers: 284

Total Number of Rated Grippers: 129

Grippers by Brand: 37
AtomGripz
BCG
Beef Builders - made by Warren Tetting
Bone Crusher
Emenee
Everlast
FBBC - Fat Bastard Barbell Company
Generation II
GHP - Gillingham High Performance
GNC - General Nutrition Center
Gold’s Gym
Gold Star
Grip Master - Pro Hands
Harbinger
Heavy Grips
Horne, David - Vulcan
Hubert Brown
Iron Mind - Captains of Crush
Iron Grip
Ivanko
Jubinville - Super Gripper
Kool
Manus Grip - Silvis Grip
PDA (Piedmont Design Associates)
Python Grip
Robert Baraban - RB Grippers
Samson
Sandow
Sears
Socha - Iron Hand
Spri
Tetting - Thor
Valeo
Voit - AMF
Weider
Whitely
York

Pictured below is 3 of the 4 PDA "Test Grippers" I rated today with the results shown here.

There is a 4th PDA Test Gripper (#4) that Wade Gillingham has on borrow from Sam and has agreed

to send it to me for the museum and to complete this set of rare grippers. I'm still in the process

of verifying these grippers and I'll keep you updated as I compile as many facts as I can and then

assemble these facts into some sort of cohesive story/timeline.

The front profile (upright position) images are in order of #1, #2, and #3.

The ratings of each gripper are as follows: PDA #1 = 75.8 lbs., PDA #2 = 103 lbs., PDA #3 = 159.6 lbs.

post-14752-0-78174100-1373735378_thumb.jpost-14752-0-64236100-1373735399_thumb.jpost-14752-0-73475300-1373735425_thumb.jpost-14752-0-22965700-1373735452_thumb.j

Edited by Mighty Joe

Joe, I frequently talk to Jae-Eom from Manus and he's told me that Silvis had nothing to do with Manus.

Furthermore, he stopped production of his animal hunter series because the quality vs. revenue just wasn't right. Those things are precision embodied in a gripper.

Correction on Gripper Brands:

I incorrectly placed Manus Grip and Silvis Grip as the same company and indeed they are not

and the list below updates and corrects this fact which now brings the total number of brands to 36.

Thanks to Yori Skutt for pointing this out!

Grippers by Brand: 36
AtomGripz
BCG
Beef Builders - made by Warren Tetting
Bone Crusher
Emenee
Everlast
FBBC - Fat Bastard Barbell Company
Generation II
GHP - Gillingham High Performance
GNC - General Nutrition Center
Gold’s Gym
Grip Master - Pro Hands
Harbinger
Heavy Grips
Horne, David - Vulcan
Hubert Brown
Iron Mind - Captains of Crush
Iron Grip
Ivanko
Jubinville - Super Gripper
Kool
Manus
Python Grip
Robert Baraban - RB Grippers
Samson
Sandow
Sears
Silvis
Socha - Iron Hand
Spri
Tetting - Thor
Valeo
Voit - AMF
Weider
Whitely
York

Here's a few pics of the most recent additions to the Grip Museum!

Hope you enjoy them!

Maybe David Horne can identify these grippers for me so I can properly label them.

From some of David's pics and written material in his Grip Encyclopedia Vol. 5

these may be Terry's Parallel Grippers. Just guessing here!

attachicon.gifvintage grippers 002.JPG

attachicon.gifvintage grippers 004.JPG

I just heard back from David Horne concerning these grippers and these are NOT in any shape or form

a pair of Terry's Parallel Grippers! I misread the lineup in his pictures in Vol 5 of his Gripopedia and the

pair of grippers that look similar are a pair of Henry Cooper's which have plastic handles and my pair

have wooden handles. This pair of grippers will now be marked as "unknown manufacturer" until further

identification is made or discovered.

If anyone here ever see's a possible error in my claims or judgement please bring it to my attention.

I feel a very strong responsibility to get the facts correct with the Grip Museum.

Big Thanks to David Horne for his help here!!!

This will be an ongoing list of contributors (in no particular order) that donate to the Grip Museum or contribute on any level. This could be a photo, significant letter/document, gripper, grip tool, significant information that one may share

that adds to the quality and preservation of the history of grip/grippers! If you see that your name has been left out or misspelled please bring it to my attention and it will be added/corrected immediately! THANKS!!!

Grip Museum Contributors

Richard Sorin

Warren Tetting

David Horne

Jedd Johnson

Arian Tepper

Bill Piche

Robert Baraban

Richard McClean

Seung Min Bae

Michael Murphy

Sam Scott

Yori Skutt

Kevin Collen

Gordon Vizecky

Kate Smith

Maliuzhets Oksana

eric Milfeld

Paul Knight

Andrew Durniat

Rob Vigeant

Chris Rice

Juhu Haru

Terry Todd

Jan Todd

Dennis Rogers

Wade Gillingham

Tim Struse

More names added and one spelling correction!

Grip Museum Contributors- 32

Richard Sorin

Warren Tetting

David Horne

Jedd Johnson

Arian Tepper

Bill Piche

Adam Moyers

Robert Baraban

Richard MacLean

Seung Min Bae

Michael Murphy

Sam Scott

Yori Skutt

Kevin Collen

Gordon Vizecky

Kate Smith

Maliuzhets Oksana

Eric Milfeld

Paul Knight

Andrew Durniat

Rob Vigeant

Chris Rice

Juhu Haru

Terry Todd

Jan Todd

Dennis Rogers

Wade Gillingham

Tim Struse

Bobby Bourrell

Ryan Pitts

Steve Pekarskiy

Andrew Geertsema

UPDATE: Rated 7 more grippers on July 14, 2013

Total Number of Rated Grippers = 136

I've added 2 more names to the GM Contributors list and denoted with GBM if contributor is a Grip Board Member.

Grip Museum Contributors- 34

Richard Sorin, GBM

Warren Tetting

David Horne, GBM

Jedd Johnson, GBM

Arian Tepper, GBM

Bill Piche, Grip Board owner/founder

Adam Moyers, GBM

Wade Gillingham, GBM

Robert Baraban, GBM

Richard MacLean, GBM

Seung Min Bae, GBM

Michael Murphy

Sam Scott, GBM

Yori Skutt, GBM

Kevin Collen, GBM

Gordon Vizecky, GBM

Kate Smith

Maliuzhets Oksana

Eric Milfeld, GBM

Paul Knight, GBM

Andrew Durniat, GBM

Rob Vigeant, GBM

Chris Rice, GBM

Juhu Haru, GBM

Terry Todd,

Jan Todd

Dennis Rogers

Tim Struse, GBM

Bobby Bourrell, GBM

Ryan Pitts, GBM

Steve Pekarskiy

Andrew Geertsema

Philip Cardarella, GBM

Natalia Aksak

There's several names I failed to mention and could be more but I think I got all the current

contributors listed now and one spelling correction. Below is the UPDATED list:

Grip Museum Contributors- 37

Richard Sorin, GBM

Warren Tetting

David Horne, GBM

Jedd Johnson, GBM

Arian Tepper, GBM

Bill Piche, Grip Board owner/founder

Adam Moyers, GBM

Wade Gillingham, GBM

Robert Baraban, GBM

Richard MacLean, GBM

Seung Min Bae, GBM

Michael Murphy

Sam Scott, GBM

Yori Skutt, GBM

Kevin Collen, GBM

Gordon Vizecky, GBM

Kate Smith

Maliuzhets Oksana

Eric Milfeld, GBM

Paul Knight, GBM

Andrew Durniat, GBM

Rob Vigeant, GBM

Chris Rice, GBM

Juhu Harju, GBM

Terry Todd,

Jan Todd

Dennis Rogers

Tim Struse, GBM

Bobby Bourrell, GBM

Ryan Pitts, GBM

Steve Pekarskiy

Andrew Geertsema

Philip Cardarella, GBM

Natalia Aksak

Tommy Jennings, GBM

Matt Cannon, GBM

Teemu IIvesniemi, GBM

Yesterday I received the PDA #4 from Wade Gillingham which was on loan to him from Sam Scott.

This gripper has now been added to the museum along with it's 3 mates. I've also added dynamometers

as a category and have listed 3. Two are from Baseline (1 crush dyno and 1 pinch dyno) and one is an "unknown manufacturer" from Russia (pics coming this week)! Listed below is the UPDATES:

Total Number of Grippers: 311

Total Number of Torsion Spring Grippers: 285

Total Number of Rated Grippers: 136

Dynamometers: 3

Grippers by Brand: 37

Edited by Mighty Joe

Joe, what plans do you have for the future of the gripper museum when you are no longer able to maintain it? have any of the donators specified what they would like to happen to thier donations?

Rico

Joe, what plans do you have for the future of the gripper museum when you are no longer able to maintain it? have any of the donators specified what they would like to happen to thier donations?

All donations become my property and of the collection/museum unless otherwise stated in writing by the donor.

NO DONATED ITEM WILL EVER BE SOLD OR TRADED!

I couldn't tell from the context of your question where you was headed with your question but the above should

satisfy your curiosity and question if this is where you was headed.

The museum is updated every time an item is added (purchased by myself) or donated. I give a description of the item

and who donated it along with pics. Every so often when I do a remodel of the gripper displays I take pictures and

post them here on the GB. I am very responsible and professional with this collection/museum! My passion for Grip

and collecting would not allow me to do otherwise. A huge part of my life is this collection/museum! I hope this shows

in my efforts with the collection! If anyone thinks otherwise PLEASE speak up!

For those that do not know, the purpose of this collection is to preserve hand gripper history with a visual display

of the various makes, models and varieties of hand grippers over the years and to show how they've evolved and

even transformed the way people train their grips!

Joe,

I think the question was more along the lines of "Have you given any thought to, or made any plans for, what will happen to the Museum's collection in the unfortunate event that you pass on or are otherwise incapacitated by ill health".

Chris

That's exactly what I ment, thanks Chris

Rico

That's what I thought but you can never know through internet speak without asking.

Thanks for the question!