New York Grip Throw Down Ii

Chez

Wooooooo, I'm bringin sake for the post grippin/bending festivities!

I'm going to load the car up with more toys for people to try. Blocks weights etc and I'm bringing my euro.

Great day with great people. Lots of impressive performances. I need to sit down to do some calculations but we did an on the spot calculate for Eric and myself to see who took the overall. Eric Roussin is the New York Grip II overall champion. I was second in the overall.

I also just saw on facebook that Amber Edwards set a new women's America Record on the ironmind hub today.

Eric Roussin lifted 240.15 lbs on the rolling thunder while weighing barely over 200 lbs.

This is just off the top of my head. I will post more info soon.

• Like 1

Thanks to Chez for doing all the heavy lifting (literally) and for a really fun and smoothly run comp.

There were several other great performances including Carl Donati Jr with the Hub of the Day at a cool 70# and Amber Edwards setting the women's American Hub record at 45#!

• Like 1

yep, I forgot to mention Carl took first on the men's hub. He hasn't even been training grip long.

• Like 2

We need videos and pics ASAP.

• Like 1

Good to meet some of you who attended.

Thanks to the event producer Chez for an awesome event.

Thanks to his bud for hosting it out of an big garage.

Saw alot of PR broken serveral times over.

People sharing alot of knowledge out there and that is what it is all about.

The sledge hammer was a event that some thought they could not do and became champions.

With the will to keep trying and never giving up.

The Rolling Thunder 240lbs plus was crazy and he drove 6.5 hours straight just to do it.

S/F,

CEYA!

Edited by Ceya!
  • Like 1

This was an awesome event with lots of awesome ppl, Big thanks Chez and the hosts, lots of impressive feats in a very short time!

• Like 1

Cheers to Andrew and Chez! It was amazing to have met all the competitors today. Your talents are truly exemplary. Looking forward to future meets.

• Like 2

Wow 240 that is crazy, that must be a record in NAGS for his weight class but I don't see rolling thunder listed anymore.

Also huge hub numbers especially by Amber, not easy to beat amy wattles in anything grip.

How about grippers though? Look forward to full write up, good job to all who competed.

• Like 2

Chez hit an 'easy' 189.something after trying 192 a few times. I think Eric was second with a contest PR of 153.

Lots of strong hubbing. I think Chez and Manna at were at 67.25#. Eric was close to that or maybe right there too. Carl missed 72.5 on his 4th attempt. I hit 60# (finally) and so did Jose (who has been training the hub for like 6 weeks and later discovered he started too low) in a 5th attempt.

The sledge was absolutely brutal. The ball on the nut allowed almost no tilt and you had to balance it properly as well. God help you if you shook a little bit. Eric was first with 15" and Chez next at 14". I think there might have been one or two 11" but there were a lot of competitors clustered under 10". There was a lot of trying to break it off the ground, with not much breaking it off the ground. It was incredibly humbling all around.

Amber also pulled 50# on the hub in a 5th attempt. She might have had some more in the tank.

Please forgive me if my numbers are a little bit off.

After the comp Carl Donati brutalized a tiny PL000 shoe in very very short order, bent a Rend Nail in IMP's and DU'ed a Grade 8 bolt.

Edited by Mike Sharkey
  • Like 7

I was off on grippers. I really shouldn't have done that 192 PR a couple days ago. I should have rested :trout. I was off by a hair on my second attempt at 192. I got 189.85 which is still good for the 3rd best close on gripsport.org

• Like 3

Just got back ... awesome time competing and meeting everyone! I'm going to do a write-up in my log tomorrow and hit on some highlights overall. Need to crash now!! Lol

• Like 2

Wow 240 that is crazy, that must be a record in NAGS for his weight class but I don't see rolling thunder listed anymore.

Also huge hub numbers especially by Amber, not easy to beat amy wattles in anything grip.

How about grippers though? Look forward to full write up, good job to all who competed.

He almost had 250 locked out. Just slipped at the end. Eric was incredible. He looks like an action figure ;)

• Like 1

Great job guys some huge numbers!!! So i havent seen any videos yet but how did the new sledge implement go....was it more a test of strength or more balance...or a combo of both? Just curious to see if the ball bearing fell off the front or the side?

Edited by Lucasraymond
  • Like 1

I think Amber is now #2 worldwide on the iron mind hub (I think it was one).

Since this was my first event attending ever. I was happy how things went and was explain by Chez.

Thanks for the help getting there Chez, You done alot as coordinator and competitor.

You deserve a big hand of applause for your efforts.

Even the ladies who were spouses at the event started to really get into it at the event.

I have a lot of work to do and hope to see you guys and Chez in Oct 2014 as a competitor.

Hope you got lots of SLEEP, CHEZ.

S/F,

CEYA!

Edited by Ceya!

Luscasraymond,

It was both as you needed to control the ball from rolling off and have the strength to lift the hammer .

You could not touch any part of your body with your lifting arm.

Forearm could not rest on the handle.

Tilting it was impossible has the ball would just roll off.

Chez had people to watch from all angles to verify the above.

S/F,

CEYA!

I know the rules especially hand being only point of contact; just wondering about the implement...but thank you for clarifying! Any nmput from people with more comp experience

I know the rules especially hand being only point of contact; just wondering about the implement...but thank you for clarifying! Any nmput from people with more comp experience

after running the event, I could think of some improvements I would make:

1) I would include half inch lines since this event was so strict that it got crazy heavy very fast. You could get one setting with complete ease and then not even break the floor an inch further back.

2) I may find a ball slightly smaller for next time to allow a little more give. when I tested it I wasn't fatigued like I am from a full comp.

3) I didn't know I was allowed to sand the varnish off the handle. Some people mentioned that the handle was slippery. I didn't notice. I think it really depended on the tenchique you used. I grab the handle with my knucles facing straight down. I think the varnish was tough for the guys who grabbed the handle in a more sideways fashion.

This was an experiment but I think it went well overall.

Edited by Chez

Yeah i sanded the varnish off both of our sledges...chalk sticks easier! What size nut and ball bearing did you use?

I feel there should be some control and balance but more strength related....so there is going to be some fidgiting with what size nut and bearing to allow for it to a good challenge for both!

Yeah i sanded the varnish off both of our sledges...chalk sticks easier! What size nut and ball bearing did you use?

I will have to check. I'm not home right now. I'll post it tonight when I get back home.

I feel there should be some control and balance but more strength related....so there is going to be some fidgiting with what size nut and bearing to allow for it to a good challenge for both!

This definitely isn't a finished product. I think it was a step in the right direction though. We will have to experiment more with the size of the nut and ball to find the perfect balance.

I also know I could have done some things better at the comp. I improved how I ran things from last time, but I know I can do even better. I have made notes and it will be even better next year.

• Like 1