Mighty Mitts......the Events, Contestants, Rules And Prizes

1stCoC

Son Bert is finalizing the list of accepted entrants today, the prize and payout schedule, with the list and rules of events. It will be a one hour center stage spot on Friday afternoon. The Henry Bell a fantastic added potential prize will be on the second day ( Saturday as to give day as to give the Strongmen participants a chance as well at the 10k prize. Particulars to follow very soon! Richard Sorin

• Like 6

I just received my invite and events. Max Frame (3 attempts), followed by a medley (heavier and harder than laast year). No info on the other contestants yet.

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

This is Bert Sorin, I am posting under Pop's handle. I am sorry for the delay getting this info up to everyone, we are trying to get athletes from all over the world to compete in this year's contest, and attempt to make a solid contest top to bottom. We have our final confirmation on the Mighty Mitts 2014 competitors, I know many of you have been wondering who the 8 golden tickets went to. It was difficult to make the final decision on the limited number of athletes (due to limited time available on stage), for there were so many gifted, strong handed men that we had to choose from. This gives a clear vision of the rise of grip training, and how strong these men are becoming. Unfortunately, there will be a few very qualified men unable to compete on stage. Those who did not make the final cut, declined the invitation or are just grip enthusiasts who will already be at the Arnold are still more than welcome to join us in the Sorinex Mighty Mitts booth to play with the grip toys and demo for the crowd in the Arnold Expo area. That being said, we feel we have round up an amazing group of grip athletes, possible the best ever top to bottom. Thanks you for all of your support and interest.

Here goes.
Andrew Durniat USA
Mike Burke USA
Mark Felix UK
Chad Woodall USA
David Labbe USA
Tony Seatts USA
Anlexey Tyukalov Russia
Odd Haugen USA
Alternate - Brad Ardrey
Events:

Sorinex Mighty Mitts Grip Contest 2014

Friday Feb 28 3:30-4:30pm Arnold Expo Stage

Another year has passed and grip sport and interest in hand strength continues to grow. The Arnold Sports Festival remains the premier international strength event, and Mighty Mitts remains the only contest of its kind to be held on a grand venue the size of the Expo Stage. A small group will be selected to see who has the strongest hands on the planet. This year’s Mighty Mitts Grip Contest will have a slightly different time format than last year, with both contest events being held on one day. We appreciate each and every competitor, and will continue to strive to produce a fun, accurate contest to compete in, and a wonderfully entertaining show to watch. We hold in high regard sportsmanship and those who choose to honor strength on a worldwide basis.

There will be one aggregate grip contest (two events) this year, Friday February 28th 2014, 3:30-4:30pm. The first event of the Mighty Mitts will be the Max Effort Frame. This will be much like last year, but with slightly different rules.

Event 1 (3:30pm): Mighty Mitts Max Effort

Frame Lock Out – Custom built frame by Bert and Richard Sorin, and using antique steam tractor wheels for the base weight, 2.38” diameter handles on a frame type apparatus (similar to a Trap bar). Parallel handles are revolving and non-knurled, but have been sandblasted and have a light layer of rust and patina to make for a natural steel grip. Athlete will stand between the handles and perform a deadlift top-end partial lift or “lock out”. Handle height will be roughly above the knees of all athletes. Event will be run similar to Powerlifting, with the Frame weight increased in predetermined increments, with each athlete having a maximum of 3 total attempts in the contest (much like powerlifting, although with multiple tries per attempt within the time slot). Each athlete has 30 seconds per “attempt” for a successful lift, they can try as many times as they like in the 30 seconds. Once the athlete has completed the full lift, they can wait and move on to the next weight when it comes around, or choose to pass to a future round. A successful attempt or failure counts as one of the athlete’s 3 attempts. The predetermined weight increases will be known prior to the contest to all competitors. The athlete can choose to “cash out” and attempt a weight 5lb. higher than the predetermined increment, but if doing so, this will be his last attempt allowable. Example. Bob lifts 380lb. on his first attempt, but realizes he probably won’t succeed with 400lb. Bob can ask for 385lb. on his second attempt, but regardless if he succeeds, he has no more attempts after that. This will help to minimize ties with the competitors. Multiple reps do not count for an additional scoring. Athletes do not have to attempt every increment for scoring, as long as they attempt at least one. There is no quantity of rounds pre-specified. This will be a heavy, max-out style event, but the limiting factor is targeted to be grip strength rather than overall body strength.

Predetermined weight increments:

380lb., 400lb.,420lb, 440lb. ,460lb. ,480lb. ,500lb. ,520lb.

Event 2 (4:00pm): The Mighty Mitts Medley:

Points will be awarded for each successful attempt at apparatus. Possible of 15 points total. Tie in points are decided by lowest time at last completion. Example: Bob’s 8th successful attempt was at 38 the second mark, verses Jim whose 8th successful attempt was at the 42 second mark. Bob takes the wins the tie. Athlete can choose any order to complete the challenges and may return to try any apparatus, except the last two. The Saturn’s Farmer’s Walk and Pop’s Gripper must be the last two attempts respectively. 2 minute (120 second) time cap.

1. Blob Lift (4pts) – Four (4) “Blobs” (end of solid York convex dumbbell) lifted traditional style (not by the face) onto a 36” box. There will be a 48lb, 50lb., 52lb. and 54lb. Blob. These Blobs are of both representatives of the “Fat man” original era as well as “Second Generation” York designs. 1 point is awarded each Blob successfully loaded onto the box. Athletes cannot use the side of the box (besides the lip of the box) to assist in stabilizing the Blob. No tilting the Blob allowed. The “Blob” was made famous by Richard Sorin in the mid 1980’s, as a premier grip feet, which stresses pinch gripping extra wide, convex surfaces.

2. Saxon Bar Deadlift (1 pt) – Rectangular bar (made of 3”x4” tubing) fully deadlifted from ground. The actual pinch will be done on the 3” wide side, double overhand grip. 225lb. Bar is sandblasted and has slight rust and patina for natural grip. 1 point for full deadlift, no points for partial attempts. Standard powerlifting rules for deadlift apply, no hitching etc. Arthur Saxon was said to have trained with a bar like this, it focuses on medium width pinch grip.

3. Jowett Anvil Deadlift (1pt) - 192lb., (172lb. anvil plus 20lb. chain), lifted by the horn vertically to a full deadlift. 1 point for full deadlift, no points for partial attempts. Additional weight (chain) will be added. The Jowett Anvil has been a staple of the Mighty Mitts contest for 5 years, and is a historical feat of strength made popular by George Jowett, an old time strongman, who regularly lifted this piece of blacksmithing and strength history.

4. Hub Lift (1pt) 45lb. York “deep dish” Olympic Plate. Athletes are to load plate on 30” box while gripping it only with the fingers by the raised portion of the center hub. One of the oldest, classic, grip feats.

5. Zuver Plate “Claw” Lift (1pt) – 200lb. Deep dish style Olympic Plate deadlift. 1 point is awarded for both lifted simultaneously. No points are awarded for partial lifts, or only one hand. Zuver Hall of Fame Plates are a remnant of the Golden era of the Iron Game and body building, the 1960’s in sunny California. Zuver’s Hall of Fame was one of the most innovative gyms of all time, and was a mecca of strength for the likes of Arnold, Paul Anderson, Peanuts West, Pat Casey and Terry Todd. These plates were custom made for the gym, and are the heaviest known plates, and some of the rarest, in the entire world.

6. Circus Bell Deadlift (1pt) – 3” diameter handle, 202lb. The Original Circus Dumbbell used for years in the Arnold’s Strongman Contest, to be fully deadlifted. Either hand may be used although no additional points are awarded for additional lifts after 1 rep. No partial points awarded for partial lifts. The Circus Bell was designed and built by Richard Sorin 7 years ago for the Arnold’s Strongman Classic, since then it has become a staple at grip and strongman contests all over the world. This bell was lifted by Odd Haugen, Mark Henry, Tex Henderson and Rich Williams in 2007 on the Arnold’s Expo Stage, putting an end the rumors that a bell of this size was un-liftable. Will it be again?

7. Broken Deadlift (1pt) – Deadlift lockout with two leverage 2” diameter handles. Weight will be on loading pins hanging approx. 18” below handle. Hands must stay in predetermined area on handles, which create leverage against the wrist and multiply the weight used. Handle must be must be horizontal to ground upon completion of lift, and the weight toward the pinky side of the athlete’s hand. Full Deadlift, no partials, both hands must be successful for point awarded.

8. Thomas Inch Dumbbell Load (1pt) – 2.38” diameter handle, 172lb. Globe Dumbbell to be lifted approx. 24” onto a box. Either hand may be used although no additional points are awarded for additional lifts after 1 rep. No partial points awarded for partial lifts. DB may not be supported on the body during the lift. The “Inch DB” has the handle similar in length and diameter to a can of cola, making it a gold standard for thick-bar grip prowess. For almost a hundred years, strongmen have sweated and grunted over the Thomas Inch’s famous dumbbell, mostly to no avail.

9. Monster Cone (1pt.) – Cast Iron Cone 155lb. to be fully deadlifted. Hand will be in vertical position, gripping at the approx. 3.5” diameter portion of the cone (signified by a line on the cone, which some part of the athlete’s hand must touch during the lift. This is a new event, can this be done?

10. 100lb. Anvil Pinch (1pt) – 100lb. Anvil will be fully deadlifted in an alternate method, by the top of the implement in a pinching style, not by the horn. This top of the Anvil is approx. 4.5” across and will test the wide pinching strength. Richard Sorin performed this feat in the 1980’s and is now including it in the contest for today’s grip masters to tackle.

11. Saturn Ball Farmer’s Walk (1pt) – 25 feet (7.62m) Double carry of 5” Sphere. (1 in each hand simultaneously). Each apparatus will weigh approx. 75lb. each. Sphere surface is natural, sandblasted feel. Steel finger shield ring around each sphere will eliminate fingers moving beneath sphere in “cupping” action. Lift is to be performed one handed with the palm of the hand on TOP of the sphere. No wrapping the hand underneath the ball is allowed. Sphere will be attached to a loading pin of weight. This lift taxes the individual fingers in a way that no bar can.

12. Pop’s Gripper (1pt) – Fully close using both hands simultaneously, the plate loaded gripper. This is the last implement to be attempted, and completion (full close according to judge’s “down signal”) will stop the athlete’s time, when the gripper is fully closed. 1 Point awarded for a full close, no points awarded for partial reps. Resistance will be a combination plate weight and bands, which increase the difficulty of the lift throughout the range of motion. Handles are 1.25” diameter.

** Events and implements subject to change/ modifications **

Athletes may use: chalk and Liquid Grip during events. Belts, wraps and compression gear can also be used.

Athletes may not use: straps, tacky, glue etc.

BONUS CHALLENGE:

The Henry Dumbbell:

Once again, Mark Henry has agreed to award $10,000 to any of the competitors in either the Arnold Strongman Classic or the Mighty Mitts contest who lifts his 300 pound, thick-handled (2.5” diameter) dumbbell out of its specially made box and drops it outside of the box without moving the box. If two men, or even three, are able to meet the challenge the money will be equally divided. The exact time when the official attempts with the Henry Bell will be made will be announced later (most likely on Saturday, March 1 on the Expo Stage following the Strongman event), but will be chosen to provide everyone the best chance of lifting the bell and making history. This is NOT a required portion of the Mighty Mitts contest, nor does it effect overall scoring.

Mighty Mitts 2014 Prize Money-

Place Prize

1$2200 and Mighty Mitts trophy

2$1300

3$900

4$600

5$500

6$400

7$300

8$200

* Each athlete will receive complementary lodging

* Each athlete will receive a $250 travel / per diem allocation if they are not already a part of the Arnold Sports Festival (Strongman etc.)

* Each athlete will receive 15% off any Sorinex Brand gear for personal use, for a period of 1 year after contest date.

* It is rumored that UFC Legend and action film star, Randy Couture will be presenting awards.

We at Sorinex are looking forward to a great contest and unforeseen levels of grip strength displayed.

Thank you!
Bert Sorin
  • Like 3

Looks exciting, hopefully we get great footage again this year like last year. Looks like this will be the biggest one yet. I'm excited to see how David 'The grip monster' Labbe does. Good to see a lot of the best gripboard athletes represented in the contest vs some of the top pro strongman also. Any idea of rich williams or tex henderson will make it out this year?

I am very happy to see Alex T in the mix. Just 5 days ago (in Los Angeles), I asked him if he knew anything about being invited, and he did not. Good move inviting him.

The anvil will be at our booth area after the comp. That thing has humbled many a fine gripster .I really had to work to lift it ,lots of good memories attached to the very few others that have hauled it up as well. Every grip guy out there is welcome to stop by and chat and grip iron at our booth. Last year most competitors came by, Arnold himself lended support with a personal visit. We live strength and talk grip .....y'all welcome !

• Like 1

Congrats to Brad Ardrey for making it on the reserve list!!! I saw him at Nationals last year, and he is an awesome competitor.

Brad is a quality guy. There are so many outstanding ones now . Proud to have seen them grow! If we gather together this can and/ will be bigger each year! Grip is here to stay , we just need to help and support it along!

As for the scoring in the Mighty Mitts contest, we are weighing the Medley x2 points wise of what the Max Frame scores. This gives more credence to a well wounded grip, vs large hands and strong back.

Here is a listing of the points:

Here is how it will work in order to weigh the medley x2 points.

Accumulative high score wins
Max Frame
Place Points
1 8
2 7
3 6
4 5
5 4
6 3
7 2
8 1
Medley
Place Points
1 16
2 14
3 12
4 10
5 8
6 6
7 4
8 2
Thank you.
Also, Steve Weiner and Pat Povilaitis have been amazing, and have volunteered to work on the expo stage between the events to educate the crowd on grip strength, also on the concourse. Great to see brothers in grip coming together to help each other. Kudos to them.
cleardot.gif

Thanks for the scoring explanation, Richard!

And thank you for once again for the time, money, and effort you and your team put into the world's premier grip event!

• Like 2

It is with sadness that our friend Line Snook has had a loss in his family and wasn't fully ready to compete in the Mighty Mitts and as a entry ticket to try the connected Henry Mistake bell 10k lift. The bell will be available to all Mighty Mitts and ASM competitors or in some cases people involved in both. We feel Laine is truly a great one and if thinkgs fall together next year he will be certainly considered for a berth in the contest and a shot at the Henry Mistake bell.

I don't know if grip tale art Chris is owning to the Big show t the Arnold's but he is welcome to join us t our booth and if he can set up and calibrate others grippers to his hearts content. It would be a good place or him to do his exacting magic. I would agree to have my original cert # 3 , the Phantom 4 and our i house #4 gripper tested under his watchful eyes. Just a thought.

• Like 3

I don't know if grip tale art Chris is owning to the Big show t the Arnold's but he is welcome to join us t our booth and if he can set up and calibrate others grippers to his hearts content. It would be a good place or him to do his exacting magic. I would agree to have my original cert # 3 , the Phantom 4 and our i house #4 gripper tested under his watchful eyes. Just a thought.

HUH?

I was just inviting Chris to use a bit of our Arnolds booth space to if he wanted to and in helping other gripsters attending to be able to do his calibrations on grippers others have. Just thought it would be a good opportunity to interact with others and if Chris charges for calibration he is welcome to those funds for his own. Chris has always supported grip and anything we can do to I'd in that quest we will do. Just trying to be a good neighbor in grip to a real dedicated man of Grip. I never have hidden anything about any gripper I have had or closed. If he wanted to test my #3 , phantom4 and our in house #4 it might be something good for history as well.

I was just inviting Chris to use a bit of our Arnolds booth space to if he wanted to and in helping other gripsters attending to be able to do his calibrations on grippers others have. Just thought it would be a good opportunity to interact with others and if Chris charges for calibration he is welcome to those funds for his own. Chris has always supported grip and anything we can do to I'd in that quest we will do. Just trying to be a good neighbor in grip to a real dedicated man of Grip. I never have hidden anything about any gripper I have had or closed. If he wanted to test my #3 , phantom4 and our in house #4 it might be something good for history as well

Richard - it's something to think about and it's an honor to even be asked. I have pretty well stopped rating grippers these days for various reasons but mostly because it was getting to be quite a job doing as many as I was. The first question is equipment - my jig fits into a power rack with 1" holes 2" on center - will something like that be available at the booth?

We last year had our base fit rig with 5/8" holes on two inch centers to display gear. The big racks with the 1" holes done all four directions might not be included with our Arnold show setup. I will check.

Correction my friend this year will be our beefy 3" rig with 1 1/16 " holes on all four sides of each upright. The holes are spaced on 2" centers. That perhaps may help you! Always welcome!

Correction my friend this year will be our beefy 3" rig with 1 1/16 " holes on all four sides of each upright. The holes are spaced on 2" centers. That perhaps may help you! Always welcome!

3" doesn't work - my pins are only for the 2 1/2" 11 ga square stock I used in mine. Your power racks are built for people a little stronger than me :).