2014 Fit Expo Grip Contest Information

Hubgeezer

Edit: I have seen guys go in there as their first contest. I always have said the only requirement is having the guts to step on the platform. In LA, so far, I have not, but with this new format...

So....that implies???? Yes?

Really hoping I am not the only female this time but will focus on my own goals regardless. Clay brought up an excellent point about the women and prize money too. I was just thrilled that Odd was open to women competing and now he has taken it a notch higher.

Who is in so far? Got an email from Odd Haugen. So far, for women, it is Amy Wattles. Hmmm. Unless they change the split of the money, I say there is Gender Discrimination in favor of the Women...

Okay, Men, by weight, name, and country of origin:

1. 198, Eric Roussin, Canada

2. 238, Roman Penkovskiy, Russia

3. 250, Martins Licis, California via Latvia

4. 260, John Machnik, California

5. 270, Eric Patterson, Arizona

6. 275, Odd Haugen, California via Norway (is he lying about his weight, or has he lost a bunch?)

7. 308, Mark Felix, United Kingdom

8. 310, Chris Davies, Canada

9. 320, Evan Hansmann, California

10. 325, Dimitar Svatinov, Florida via Bulgaria

11. 335, Mike Burke, Colorado

12. 340, Jerry Pritchard, Arizona

13. 375, Andrew Palmer, Washington

14. 410, Robert Oberst, California

15. 264, Alexey Tyukalov, Russia

Did not see the names of Clay Edgin or Mike Corlett in there. Not sure if they wussed out or just have not sent in their entry forms.

I asked Haugen "is that the Strongman entry list or the Grip entry list", and he said it was the "grip" one. I think it may be the same day as the MAS Wrestling matches, and the entry fee gets you into both, so that may explain the presence of the Robert Obersts and Jerry Pritchards.

Nice to see Alex coming over to compete in a grip contest again too.

At this point it appears that the only "veterans" of all four of the Viking contests (2011-2014) will be Odd Haugen and Mark Felix.

• Like 1

In addition to only one person in the women's class, as it stands now, there is only one competitor in the 198 class and one in the 242 class. It would be a shame if there aren't at least a few more who jump in. If not, I fear this will be the one and only time that weight classes will be offered at this event. :(

Who is in so far? Got an email from Odd Haugen. So far, for women, it is Amy Wattles. Hmmm. Unless they change the split of the money, I say there is Gender Discrimination in favor of the Women...

I won't be the only female there. At least one more, maybe two. I'm working on it for exactly what Eric mentioned, it would be a shame for there NOT to be a women's class in the future. Slowly but surely more and more women are asking questions, training advice, buying implements, etc. It will take time but in the meantime these opportunities have to be supported.

With the Arnold not too long after and the addition of the HW Strongwomen this year, it's tough timing. I had to think long and hard about The Arnold and knew if I competed there I wouldn't do LA. In the end deciding not to do the Arnold was based on personal/business circumstances but the bonus was knowing I could train strictly focused on LA for a period of time.

I was the first person to send in my entry for the grip and mas, and Odd confirmed that he has received it, so I'm not sure why I'm not on the list. Also not on the list is Justin Sulham from MA, who was the second person to send in his entry. Probably just a clerical error. My wife will also be competing in the mas and grip, although she doesn't yet know that she's doing the grip part haha

Amy's absolutely right about the need to support these women's classes so they'll grow. Even if it's just us strongmen conning our wives and girlfriends into doing it as favors to us in the beginning!

Edit: Just realized there are two under 200lb guys coming from my neck of the woods that should be on the list too. One is squirmy as all hell and the other has a pretty ferocious grip.

Edited by ClayEdgin

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to watching Mark Felix and Alexey Tyukalov battle it out in the Rolling Thunder event. Who will lift more? Will any of the other competitors lift more than them?

Does anyone want to share their predictions?

I'm also excited to see some big numbers go up. Felix is hit or miss on the RT in the last few competitions. I think The Tank will take it by lifting 140kg. Burke 130kg and Felix/Haugen 120-125kg. Odd's handles are cleaned pretty well before the contest so they're more like new than maybe some other well worn handles that are used for contests. I would like to hit 100kg in competition on a new handle, preferably 105 which I think I'm good for these days.

I'll be posting pictures of the competitors attempts as they happen on my instagram @3colorstrong

I'm also confident that the 1 minute barrier will be broken this year on the Silver Bullet hold. I'm close and I'm sure Tank and Burke have been practicing too.

Well, the Strength World should be shaking in their boots, as I was a late registration. I am only entering the "Fishing Pole", the Viking Supercharged Wrist Roller, or whatever it is called. Been doing wrist work for 6 weeks, so I just want to know if "I can complete it". After carefully observing every competitor's performance in person all the past years, I concluded I need to weigh more. So, in addition to the wrist work, I have been eating a lot and weigh more than I ever have in a competition.

My son is competing in the Power Lifting, he made weight in the 198s about two hours ago. My young granddaughter will be there. I and a former work colleague will be doing the scoring. It will be good.

• Like 3

Burke - 240 kilos axle.

210 kilos - Felix and Tyukalov.

RT - Tyukalov and Felix - 123 kilos.

SB - 33 sec Felix.

SB - 34 sec Tyukalov.

Messages from tweeter:

Alexey Tyukalov and Mark Felix tie on the Rolling Thunder, both made 123 kg and both missed 128 - Alexey lifted it but beat the down signal.

Mike Burke, who sat out the Rolling Thunder, walked up to the 128 kg when Tank and Felix were done - and lifted it.

Apollon's Axle is about to start - Mike Burke is intent on breaking the (his) world record. Maybe ditto for Amy Wattles.

Amy Wattles took a good shot at 291.5 lb. but couldn't finish it. Men are about to start.

Brian Shaw, "My money is on Mike Burke to break the world record on the Apollon's Axle deadlift.

Mike Burke just came in at 185 kg and it looked like a warmup for him.

Mark Felix comes in at 200 kg - very easy.

Odd, Martins and Tank make 200 kg, too.

220 kg - Odd, Tank, Felix and Martins miss it. Mike Burke makes it look light.

Burke is going for 237.5 kg world record attempt.

They passed the lift but Burke wants to do again - he missed.

Amy Wattles just sent the women's world record on the CoC Silver Bullet into orbit: 45 seconds and change!

great write-up, but why did Burke sit out of the Rolling Thunder?

Messages from tweeter:

Alexey Tyukalov and Mark Felix tie on the Rolling Thunder, both made 123 kg and both missed 128 - Alexey lifted it but beat the down signal.

Mike Burke, who sat out the Rolling Thunder, walked up to the 128 kg when Tank and Felix were done - and lifted it.

Apollon's Axle is about to start - Mike Burke is intent on breaking the (his) world record. Maybe ditto for Amy Wattles.

Amy Wattles took a good shot at 291.5 lb. but couldn't finish it. Men are about to start.

Brian Shaw, "My money is on Mike Burke to break the world record on the Apollon's Axle deadlift.

Mike Burke just came in at 185 kg and it looked like a warmup for him.

Mark Felix comes in at 200 kg - very easy.

Odd, Martins and Tank make 200 kg, too.

220 kg - Odd, Tank, Felix and Martins miss it. Mike Burke makes it look light.

Burke is going for 237.5 kg world record attempt.

They passed the lift but Burke wants to do again - he missed.

Amy Wattles just sent the women's world record on the CoC Silver Bullet into orbit: 45 seconds and change!

That is all correct, except both Felix and Burke had early lifts of 160K on the Axle.

great write-up, but why did Burke sit out of the Rolling Thunder?

It was before the Axle. He wanted to focus on the Axle. I don't remember his exact words...

I guess even the big boys are having trouble with the new new Rolling Thunder thanks for the results

IM RT Handles has lot of differences between them. :)

• Like 1

For the men, was a #3 gripper and 2.5-kg used on the Silver Bullet event? Thanks.

Mike opted not to do the Rolling Thunder because he expected the weights to go high with Alexey and Mark in the mix. Because he didn't expect to win this event, he decided he would save his strength for the DO Axle. When he saw where the RT results ended up, he was kicking himself for having missed the chance to take home an extra $500.

For the men, a #3 gripper and the silver bullet disk was used (I believe it weighs 5 lbs). The performances in the silver bullet event were low across the board. Every competitor I spoke to sounded disappointed with their performance (myself included). Mike won the event with a hold of just over 45 seconds.

• Like 2

Mike opted not to do the Rolling Thunder because he expected the weights to go high with Alexey and Mark in the mix. Because he didn't expect to win this event, he decided he would save his strength for the DO Axle. When he saw where the RT results ended up, he was kicking himself for having missed the chance to take home an extra $500.

For the men, a #3 gripper and the silver bullet disk was used (I believe it weighs 5 lbs). The performances in the silver bullet event were low across the board. Every competitor I spoke to sounded disappointed with their performance (myself included). Mike won the event with a hold of just over 45 seconds.

Sounds very strict coc#3 gripper.

• Like 1

The new ones are coming out at 154 and higher every single time I rate them, so I can believe why the numbers were lower.

Thanks for the info, Eric, and congrats on your strong finish.

Eric, how did you do in the competition?

I took first in the 198 class, and somehow managed to finish in fourth overall. I know I benefited from being the lightest guy in the competition. The way the scores are calculated using this last man standing format, if there is a tie in performance, the lighter guy gets an additional point. I know this made a significant difference, because I was very surprised to place so high in the overall standings. A few competitors chose not to compete in all four events, which also helped my score.

• Like 3

I guess even the big boys are having trouble with the new new Rolling Thunder thanks for the results

IM RT Handles has lot of differences between them. :)

I just bought a new RT handle like the one in your video with the small gap that let's the black part move up and down slightly and my max went from 230ish to 200

• Like 1