2014 Fit Expo Grip Contest Information

Hubgeezer

Here is a link to Odd Haugen's latest version of the Vise Grip Viking Challenge in Los Angeles this coming January:

http://www.thefitexpo.com/TFELA_grip.asp

It is a little bit different every year. This year, it appears to me to be more than "a little" different. This is the 4th year of the competition.

Edited by Hubgeezer

Looks good but a question. Has anyone under 90K body weight lifted 396# (starting weight) on the IM Axle? Might be hard to get anyone lightweight to come play.

Looks good but a question. Has anyone under 90K body weight lifted 396# (starting weight) on the IM Axle? Might be hard to get anyone lightweight to come play.

Kody's 83kg class world record is 376#. He also holds the 93kg class record with that same lift.

I don't exactly know the answer, but my guess is "probably not."

I exchanged some emails with Odd Haugen. He didn't change the paragraph from the previous contest.

He said the opening weight would be low enough to accommodate the women participants.

Last year, I saw a WSM podium finisher fail to get the 396 opener. In Santa Clara, five months ago, to accommodate the weak guys (that includes me), he was kind enough to have the opening at 140kg (308 lbs.). It will be lower than that at this one.

This is the first time they have had weight classes at one of these Expo contests...

Very impressive to pull 376 weighing 183 lbs. Very impressive. did I say very impressive?

• Like 1

Thanks Mike this makes more sense all things considered. Kody would be a good candidate for this - I'm sure there are others as well including you Mike. I plan to drop some weight and focus on climbing next year so I could make the lightweight class of 198# easily enough I think (205 this morning) - I just don't have the desire (or the numbers) - it would be fun but way outside my budget. I can go on a two week climbing trip for what it would cost me to do the Expo.

Thanks Mike this makes more sense all things considered. Kody would be a good candidate for this - I'm sure there are others as well including you Mike. I plan to drop some weight and focus on climbing next year so I could make the lightweight class of 198# easily enough I think (205 this morning) - I just don't have the desire (or the numbers) - it would be fun but way outside my budget. I can go on a two week climbing trip for what it would cost me to do the Expo.

Thanks Mike and Chris. My 93kg weight was 382.83 lbs. During that contest I wanted to break the 400 mark so I jumped up 20 lbs to 402 after that and pulled it above the knee before dropping. I am currently right at 90kg. I think I could pull 396 at that weight. Just not much after that maybe. I need deadlifting time put in. That 376 pull was done at Nationals 2012. I had never deadlifted in my life before that.

I think Odd is doing exactly what the sport needs in contesting weight classes. Thats whats gonna grow the sport. I just wish I could afford the trip. Would be awesome !

• Like 1

And a pinch event wouldn't hurt at all ! Say the Euro...hint hint :grin:

• Like 2

But Iron Mind doesn't make or sell the europinch.

That is true. Good point.

It would be sweet if Ironmind would recognize the Europinch or something similar.

People that buy Davids equipment buy Ironmind equipment as well and vice versa.

Just think it would open more doors for the sport. Maybe in time Davids equipment

will be honored out of N.A.G.S. He has done alot for the sport of grip worldwide.

That and we all want to see what some of the big boys can do on the Europinch.

Odd, Burke, Shaw, etc..

• Like 3

Offer cash prizes, and the big boys will show.

• Like 1

Guest Squat More

It would be sweet if Ironmind would recognize the Europinch or something similar.

Just think it would open more doors for the sport. Maybe in time Davids equipment

will be honored out of N.A.G.S. He has done alot for the sport of grip worldwide.

Odd, Burke, Shaw, etc..

Yep I agree 110% - but I remember reading somewhere on the IM forums that the good Doctor doesn't like the europinch, or felt it wasn't a fair test of strength or something because it is adjustable, something about a set standard being impossible with adjustable widths, not fair to other competitors etc which I don't understand and doesn't make sense to me. The fact it is adjustable is more than fair, it allows for different sized hand individuals to all compete at their optimal width.

I believe the brunt of the conversation was between him and Steve Gardener. Because of the change to the IM forum, the search function is useless and I cannot find the thread, but it exists.

Couldn't agree with you more. Not sure how someone could think that an adjustable grip apparatus could be unfair. Being the most contested event in grip sport history should say something. Maybe someone can bring a euro and get it in some hands of the big guys. I talked to Burke one night and he said he's never tried it. He freaked out the grip world last year with his amazing strength. I'm sure with the euro it would be no different. Would be pretty cool to see them get their hands on it somehow.

Oh well, it is what it is. Regardless, this contest looks awesome.

Edited by kodydelone

This event has been on my calendar for awhile, since I discovered the addition of weight classes. I really look forward to competing in the 198 class. I was also hoping to take part in the mas wrestling contest, but after having tried it out recently, I don't think I'll be able to compete in both events and do as well as I'd like. Mas wrestling is brutal, but a lot of fun!

• Like 1

This event has been on my calendar for awhile, since I discovered the addition of weight classes. I really look forward to competing in the 198 class. I was also hoping to take part in the mas wrestling contest, but after having tried it out recently, I don't think I'll be able to compete in both events and do as well as I'd like. Mas wrestling is brutal, but a lot of fun!

I wish I would of found out earlier about this. I would of loved to compete. Not sure I could swing it at the moment.

What do you think you'll have wrapped up in air fair, hotel, and expenses Eric ?

Euro Pinch would be good choice for species. Also Silver Bullet holding with #3 begins to be like marathon training. Is it time to start do holdings with #3.5 or #4?. I talked earlier about this with Randall. He said that the gripper is #3 as long as 60sec will be broke. Well, I hope that the tank or Mike will get the job done. :grin:

Odd make good work for Grip Strength. :)

• Like 1

All said and done it'll be close to a $1,000 weekend, but flights from Canada are more expensive than within the US.

Speaking of Odd, my impression when he started these contests was that the problem he had with pinch was that it had no visual appeal to the audience. That was why and how the "Viking Fishing Pole" wrist roller event got started, it got people's attention from a visual perspective.

Odd, Burke, Shaw, etc..

Amen... i really wish Ironmind would step up to the plate on this, i think in time it would be a very big moneymaking product - considering how widely contested it is. The two hand pinch is really like the bench press of the grip training world. I think there is a marketing opportunity being missed here for sure!

Edited by jvance

Speaking of Odd, my impression when he started these contests was that the problem he had with pinch was that it had no visual appeal to the audience. That was why and how the "Viking Fishing Pole" wrist roller event got started, it got people's attention from a visual perspective.

Same problem here. When GripMonsters arranges grip contests "normal species" are not interested for audience. When you step up to stage and close #4 then audience yawns and wait when double hub farmers walk starts! :whistel:laugh

• Like 1

And a pinch event wouldn't hurt at all ! Say the Euro...hint hint :grin:

Odd, Burke, Shaw, etc..

Odd, Burke, Shaw, etc..

Yep I agree 110% - but I remember reading somewhere on the IM forums that the good Doctor doesn't like the europinch, or felt it wasn't a fair test of strength or something because it is adjustable, something about a set standard being impossible with adjustable widths, not fair to other competitors etc which I don't understand and doesn't make sense to me. The fact it is adjustable is more than fair, it allows for different sized hand individuals to all compete at their optimal width.

I believe the brunt of the conversation was between him and Steve Gardener. Because of the change to the IM forum, the search function is useless and I cannot find the thread, but it exists.

Couldn't agree with you more. Not sure how someone could think that an adjustable grip apparatus could be unfair. Being the most contested event in grip sport history should say something. Maybe someone can bring a euro and get it in some hands of the big guys. I talked to Burke one night and he said he's never tried it. He freaked out the grip world last year with his amazing strength. I'm sure with the euro it would be no different. Would be pretty cool to see them get their hands on it somehow.

Oh well, it is what it is. Regardless, this contest looks awesome.

Glad you asked about this and I asked TEDS to chime in, too.

First, the money making opportunities for the Euro pinch device could well be there and Dr. Strossen's biggest fan must be surprised that "the greedy pig" has not availed himself of them, but TEDS said there is far more money in shady supplements, not to mention spray tans, so the untapped economic opportunity is relative.

My feeling is that to make grip strength more accessible, more competitive and more respected, a degree of standardization is required, and we can take cues for constructive actions, as well as destructive actions, by looking at other sports. Please note that while IronMind equipment is not used exclusively at Odd's contests and others, there is a reason why is it does play a central role: the products are standardized, widely available, relatively inexpensive and have a significant track record. These things mean that we can really get a handle on how good a certain performance is and, therefore, can track records in a meaningful way.

Back on pinch.

To me, the classics are either lifting a plate by its hub or pinching a parallel-sided thing like a rafter (for chins) or a smooth plate (for a deadliest). To me, the hub is inherently more appealing and interesting, but either can work, but as a general thing, I dislike adjustable implements because in sports, everyone competes on the same stuff.

Edited by Randall Strossen

Odd, Burke, Shaw, etc..

Amen... i really wish Ironmind would step up to the plate on this, i think in time it would be a very big moneymaking product - considering how widely contested it is. The two hand pinch is really like the bench press of the grip training world. I think there is a marketing opportunity being missed here for sure!

I just want to jump in and remind everyone that I am a sponsor of the board too and I sell Two Hand Pinch Devices now.

• Like 2

Grip on the big stage

Let’s face it – most strength sports don’t make for a real exciting show. Power Lifting – blah. Olympic Lifting – lots more movement and impressive for a few minutes but hours and hours of it don’t keep your heart racing. Strongman may be the best from a spectator aspect but it’s not all that much fun to watch a bunch of monstrous guys waddle around after a while either. So along comes grip – and while I’m involved in it – and I understand it’s really fun to actually do it - but watching others do it is pretty blah again. But some things do work better especially on an Expo type level. Things generally have to move fast without any down time – main stage time is at a premium so you can’t be fussing around too much loading and unloading or changing widths. (As I understand it Odds contest isn’t main stage like the Arnold but is a similar setting with a similar crowd). So with all this said what kind of events work best? The crowd at an event like an Expo is composed of quite a mix. For every musclehead you have a bunch of house wives, moms, kids, and businessmen wondering around – and the vast majority have zero knowledge of grip strength. So it needs to be entertaining to a more general audience – a show – something that catches the attention of people walking by – keeping them there watching isn’t going to be easy. Things have to move quickly and be visually entertaining. And the Odd show is also very much the IronMind show at this point. And that is not meant to be a criticism – Randall is a businessman so of course he’s going to showcase his products – don’t forget he has been highly supportive (sponsoring) of many many of our grip contests over the years – even with his disagreements with some of the things we do. Randall’s problems with the Euro seem to be two fold – first is the lack of availability to the general public – something that is quite true even though this has gotten better recently with Jedd now selling them here in the states. He also has issues with it being adjustable for width – we consider this a plus and he a negative. It does add a great deal of complexity to it as a grip contest event and makes it very time consuming – running it at the Arnold would be crazy – more changing and loading than lifting it would take up the entire time slot. As much as I hate to see it – I think over time and with increased contest participation numbers – we will see a fixed width apparatus that can be manufactured more simply and cheaply and contested much more quickly. Pinch can take several hours to run currently if you have a big group and only one set up. We constantly tweak things but it’s just slow no matter what. A fixed width would solve many problems for us and perhaps make it more attractive to big venues as well. The other thing that must be considered is the “Wow” factor of huge men in strength sports – the audience can protect their egos by saying “if I weighed 400# I could do that too”. I applaud Odd for the introduction of weight classes. It is a big step forward. But if I read it correctly, the money is still going to the overall winner – which removes a lot of incentive for a 90 kilo guy to attend – his odds pretty much suck especially with a thick bar theme of events.

Grip on the big stage

Let’s face it – most strength sports don’t make for a real exciting show. Power Lifting – blah. Olympic Lifting – lots more movement and impressive for a few minutes but hours and hours of it don’t keep your heart racing. Strongman may be the best from a spectator aspect but it’s not all that much fun to watch a bunch of monstrous guys waddle around after a while either. So along comes grip – and while I’m involved in it – and I understand it’s really fun to actually do it - but watching others do it is pretty blah again. But some things do work better especially on an Expo type level. Things generally have to move fast without any down time – main stage time is at a premium so you can’t be fussing around too much loading and unloading or changing widths. (As I understand it Odds contest isn’t main stage like the Arnold but is a similar setting with a similar crowd). So with all this said what kind of events work best? The crowd at an event like an Expo is composed of quite a mix. For every musclehead you have a bunch of house wives, moms, kids, and businessmen wondering around – and the vast majority have zero knowledge of grip strength. So it needs to be entertaining to a more general audience – a show – something that catches the attention of people walking by – keeping them there watching isn’t going to be easy. Things have to move quickly and be visually entertaining. And the Odd show is also very much the IronMind show at this point. And that is not meant to be a criticism – Randall is a businessman so of course he’s going to showcase his products – don’t forget he has been highly supportive (sponsoring) of many many of our grip contests over the years – even with his disagreements with some of the things we do. Randall’s problems with the Euro seem to be two fold – first is the lack of availability to the general public – something that is quite true even though this has gotten better recently with Jedd now selling them here in the states. He also has issues with it being adjustable for width – we consider this a plus and he a negative. It does add a great deal of complexity to it as a grip contest event and makes it very time consuming – running it at the Arnold would be crazy – more changing and loading than lifting it would take up the entire time slot. As much as I hate to see it – I think over time and with increased contest participation numbers – we will see a fixed width apparatus that can be manufactured more simply and cheaply and contested much more quickly. Pinch can take several hours to run currently if you have a big group and only one set up. We constantly tweak things but it’s just slow no matter what. A fixed width would solve many problems for us and perhaps make it more attractive to big venues as well. The other thing that must be considered is the “Wow” factor of huge men in strength sports – the audience can protect their egos by saying “if I weighed 400# I could do that too”. I applaud Odd for the introduction of weight classes. It is a big step forward. But if I read it correctly, the money is still going to the overall winner – which removes a lot of incentive for a 90 kilo guy to attend – his odds pretty much suck especially with a thick bar theme of events.

To spice it up, what if the Euro device dispensed 100 euro notes, or even better, Bin Ladens (500 euro notes) . . . kind of like a slot machine?

Guest Squat More

Adjustable and quick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0biRVhsdX0

Pretty much the same thing Jedd has done with the Napalm Pinch named europinch he sells, ingenious way to change width in a few seconds IMO.

As for loading, well that time is always going to exist - its pretty much the same in Olympic lifting, Powerlifting and any other strength sport that requires weights and an implement to lift said weights.

As for the standard argument, Hornes adjustable thickbar and the europinch are far more fair for a sport that relies so much on hand size and leverage.

Imagine this: the IPF just decides tomorrow that everyone has to walk their squats out from the same height in the rack. How would this be fair? It wouldn't, but hey... same standard! Some shorter lifters wouldn't even be able to get the bar across their back and just wouldn't be able to lift OR would have to unrack on the tips of their toes to walk out and that is dangerous, also some taller lifters would put themselves into dangerous/uncomfortable positions as well trying to bend their knees and get low enough to get under the bar, half squat just to unrack? Doesn't seem logical to me.

With the europinch there is a same standard, the weights used in a competition are all the same, the steel discs are all the same, the competitors are still using the same surface area, the only thing different is the starting width to accommodate the size of their hands, the same thing as walking out a squat or unracking a bench. They are all determined by the height of the lifter or the length of their arms, kinda how the euro widths are determined by the space between the thumb joint and first knuckle.

• Like 1