Powerlifting Log

EricMilfeld

Super hot today. I'm hiding indoors and doing pull ups.

At least one of has some sense!

Thanks, Jason!

Great session!

Thank you, Parris!

Thank you, Parris!

No prob Eric, you deserve it, you've really been putting up the numbers lately. What time of day do ya workout?I relation to work and eating an family responsibilities. For me I like to go right after work on night shift, but when I was day shift I liked to workout before bed, I guess itcould have be geared toward when my kids are sleeping.

I've always worked out after work, which is typically a 12 hour shift. So, I've lifted at all hours of the day with my changing shifts. Currently I'm working out in the early to late afternoon, when it's good and sweltering. I've just always performed better after being up and about for most of the day.

• Like 1

Bench

258x5

237x9

Overhead Press

151x5

Hammer Curl

72x12

Not feeling it today. The hurt shoulder wasn't helping. Gonna go back to hittin' it only weekly.

• Like 1

Squats

391x6

320x10 (no belt)

Feeling good.

Body weight 218

• Like 1

Deadlift

561x1-intended to triple it bit I realized after a rep I had selected 10 pounds too much

426x10 (belt less) Revenge on the last set!

Shrugs

476x15

Rows

245x12

Felt slightly over trained today, but got some good heavy reps in.

• Like 2

Sit Ups

25x23

Squats

441x3

330x8 (beltless)

Bench Press

I couldn't even warm up with 135 today because of my left shoulder. It got worse this week, despite taking off 8 days. I switched to a close grip with tucked shoulders and was able to proceed. I might stay with this form, despite it hurting my max by at least 30 pounds:

217x6 (super close grip)

227x6 (closer grip than normal)

227x6 (somewhere between the two grips)

I noticed with the shoulders tucked my ideal width is much closer than it would be otherwise.

Curls

111x12

• Like 3

Strong squatting Eric! May I suggest the use of dumbbells when pressing in order to control every possible angle. This may halp you out while you heal up.

• Like 1

Thank you Jason, Steve, and Matt!

Steve, that sounds like a good suggestion. Unfortunately I have only one loadable non-grip dumbbell. But I could certainly do one arm dumbbell presses.

Squats

441x3

330x8 (beltless)

Bench Press

I couldn't even warm up with 135 today because of my left shoulder. It got worse this week, despite taking off 8 days. I switched to a close grip with tucked shoulders and was able to proceed. I might stay with this form, despite it hurting my max by at least 30 pounds:

217x6 (super close grip)

I noticed with the shoulders tucked my ideal width is much closer than it would be otherwise.

Curls

111x12

Nice squatting. That's heavy!

Thanks, Electron.

I've noticed when the bar "feels" heavy on my back it's going to be a very rough attempt. This set felt surprisingly light on my back. It makes all the difference. Not sure which direction the cause and effect of this phenomenon works.

• Like 1

Thanks, Electron.

I've noticed when the bar "feels" heavy on my back it's going to be a very rough attempt. This set felt surprisingly light on my back. It makes all the difference. Not sure which direction the cause and effect of this phenomenon works.

I find the tighter I can get my upper back the lighter it feels. I get lazy and not keep it as tight as I should a lot of the time but when I remember it makes a big difference.

• Like 1

If you want to make the bar feel lighter on your back, perform squat lockouts every so often after your squats. Put on 100 pounds over your top lift of the day onto the bar and perform a squat lockout, and support the weight for 30 -60 seconds. Do this for 2-3 singles every couple of squat workout and your top squat weight will feel like practically nothing on your back. You can work up to some pretty good poundages with this lift. I one time did a 1,005 pound lockout and support for 68 seconds. Nick Rosendaul, Sean Dockery and Pat Povilaitis were amongst the witnesses there. Did this improve my squatting? Not at all, but when I had 400 pounds on my back, it felt very light. Try the lockouts if you have not already, but use them sparingly as they will take alot out of you.

• Like 2

Squats

441x3

330x8 (beltless)

Bench Press

217x6 (super close grip)

Curls

111x12

Wow! You have very flexible shoulders. Such a low bar placement and narrow grip would kill my shoulders.

Steve I tried a few heavy walkouts with a little knee dip a long time ago. It was fun just knowing you had all that weight on your back. 1000+ is a ton, well at least half a ton!

It's ironic, Jörg, you'd comment on my shoulder flexibility. It's pathetically poor. I must just be able to force them into that one specific position for squats.