Jon Vance Grip Log

jvance

Front squats, doubles atg 135/155/185/205/235

Back squats, doubles, high bar atg 235/255/275 single

OH squat, starting from power snatch. Doubles 95/115/135/145 single

WOD power clean 190, to front squat triples atg, then double 28kg kettlebell push press 5reps, 20 pushups, second set double front squat from power clean, 8 reps kb, 15 pushups. 3rd set DO DL 325 for six reps, 8 reps kb, 15 pushups.

Db bench

50x10/65x12/85×3

Low bar backsquat 135x10/185×5/225x19 had nothing left for rep twenty... wouldnt have made it back up

WOD

5 Explosive pullups, 5 dips, 10x each hand 20kg snatch

After 2 sets replaced pullups with muscle ups, 2x then round 4 got 3 reps for new pr on consecutive muscle ups

Triceps push downs to stack 3x5

IM axle one hand cleans, singles to 143L/153R

DO axle power clean, singles to pr 233

DO doubles from 283/303/313/338

Axle rev curls, strict, to 83lb x5

Axle knee supported wrist curls, to 245 two reps. Solid pr, very hard on the wrist tendons. 

• Like 1

45r/45L single arm 20kg kb snatch in 6:20, skin giving out before 50.

Then DO deadlifts, tweaked something on 405.. was wanting triples but lower back got kinda jacked up.. tough... more cissus and rehab work. Should heal up by the weekend

Did another muscle up triple as well. Gonna be doing alot of grip light volume work tonight. Shot rotations, sledgewalks... thin pinch holds. Seems to stimulate grip gainz

Edited by jvance

back still jacked up.. thinking its the SI joint that's out. Gonna be calling a chiro this week... still hitting PRs in grip while doing light body work/rehab movements

yesterday: 1hp thin @ 38mm; left and right up to new PRs of 87#, last time I attempted heavy thin 1hp I got 85 right and left didn't even budge. Went for 92 but got interrupted and tendons got cold. Missed but got good air...

Today, 2hp thin @ 38mm; warmups up to 162#, then holds (counting out loud) with thumb guards 3 @ 4-5 seconds... then took the guards off and counted 11 seconds... second hold maybe 8-9 seconds...

2.5 inch axle seated wrist curls, supported on knees, up to 230# for three reps.

finished with rev curl on axle with 73# for 8 reps and 52/52 shot rotations switching at the tens

• 2 weeks later...

Monday was first day back full intensity... interval sprints 30 seconds/90 second walks... avg 220 meters first four... last 4 sets barely getting 200 meter. Extreme lactic acid, very sore.

Yesterday:front squats 185x4x5, 195x1x5

Oh squat mobility work

Fat grips db rows, right 125x1x10, left 1x7 

Db fg wrist curls off end of bench, to 110 for 3 left, 115 right for 3... very heavy on wrist tendons.

More oly work, snatch grip rows, etc.

Fg db hand to hand tosses; standard 110- 130, got 140 left to right transfer only. Increments of 5 and also did fgx 90- 110 between. 

Db wrist curls full rom off end of bench, 10 reps right, only 5 left bicep started hurting a bit

WOD 2 rds: dip to five sec L seat x 5

40lb db Mr wonderfuls 10 each side pushup between

40lb db deadlift 10x

Front delt shoulder raises 8lb db 30x

3min plank alt sides then front

2hp thin wood block to 158, then thin small metal block to 168 to equal PR

38 mm euro to 172, 5 second, 8 second holds

P hang snatch singles to OH squat from 115-145 

Front squat atg 3 sec pause 165-220 pr 

Fg db hand to hand to 125, then left hand rows x7, right hand 135 x 6

Fg db wrist curls seated off knee, 100x5 both hands

Snatch work...light stuff

Then atg back squats double pause, once at bottom then stop at parallel and then finish (weakest point in my squat) 

185-265

Lower back dynamic work.

Thin pinch tonight... 

thin 1 hand pinch to 70# for tapping sets of 3x10

50blob drags about 12 feet for six, then 3 laps

shot rotations to finish as always

Yesterday

ATG front squats w/ pause, to 225#, then backsquats to 275# w/ pause

IM axle went badly 333 was a struggle, tendons need more attention with the higher volume and more rest.

Hit contrast baths for the first time in a long time last night and also this afternoon, 3 sets 1m ice / 2m hot.

Later in day oly cleans at 165 then five reps paused atg front squat, then 235# long pause atg backsquat, 8 singles

Went back to some of the old stuff in my log (page 7-8 where some of my best training PRs happened) and I'm gonna reincorporate a few things... Axle power shrugs, blob dragging, anvil work etc... and also diligently stay on a routine of daily contrast bathing. We will see what happens...

Hill sprint work, then:

IM axle DL & powershrug off of thighs, cup rolling the wrists back, 293# 1x10 (looks like right where I left off from a while ago)

RT warmup then left hand 156.6 set of eight reps (was trying for 10), right 186.6 same thing, only 5 in a row 10 second rest and two more reps, goal was 10. Next week it should be money.

Messed around with my FBBC attachable v-bar.... a few long holds with 150ish

Warmup hang snatch triples, to 125, then OH squat from behind neck push jerk, singles 135- 165 pr

WOD: snatch then 10 OH squats, five pause dips, 10 thrusters, 95 on bar

#2: 5 hang snatch, 5 pause dips, 10 thrusters, 115 on bar

#3 2 hang snatch, 3 OH squat, 5 pause dips, 5 hang cleans into atg five count pause front squats. 

Great workout

Front squats, doubles at 205 2 ct pause, 1min rest 3 sets

Back squat doubles at 245 2ct pause again 3 sets

Goodmornings and stretching

Hello Jon, like your workouts - strong and much variety. Quick couple of questions, what are the FB Db tosses you do? Also, when you do the FG rows with 125-135lbs for 6-8 reps are you re-gripping after each rep? Thanks, Michael Thomas

Michael Thomas, thanks for checkin it out. Most of the reps are regripped, the first few i dont, as the hand tires it slips and ill regrip at that point. Tosses are just hand to hand middair transfers.

- Jon

Respect for your strength 181lbs 10 reps on RT is mind-boggling. Thanks for the response.

• Like 1

Night grip workout

warmup grippers sucked, 2.5 not so snappy

to thin pinch, 38mm up to 161 for a couple easy singles, switched to my thin block and worked up to a PR single of 171, old PR was 168 on YT... glad to get a small monkey off my back :) 

took a break then came back out for ultra thin pinch on my 8mm block, 2hp to 118, 128 hopped, then 1hp right up to 61 and left 56.... this thing hits the fingertips like no else

then blob drags, fatman and nextgen 14 feet x2, x3, x3

finished 60/60 8lb shot rotations and 1hp taps, two sets, best was 20 reps right and 15 left with 71# @38mm

Dynamic warmup and stretching

Hang snatches x5, 95, 115 focused on speedy hands/feet

Power snatch 5 singles 135, 3 singles 155

OH squat 135, 3 singles with 5ct pause atg

Klokov press 95 x5

OH bounding jump squats w/ empty bar 

1x8

grip this morning in garage, temp 80, rel. humidity 62%

2hp @ 38mm, light band assisted to 176, all pulled off assistance band

1hp same width, left hand 71#, hit 20 taps, right hand moved up to 76# and got 14 taps, there were two sets those were the higher volume (better volume than tues night)

blob taps off bench, 40lb blob 20 easy right, and 16 not quite as easy left

thin block 1hp to 75 in plates, I think the block and pin are 4-5 more Idk

finisher 50/50 8lb shot rotations, going the hard direction

OH squat, to 135 for five reps, pr as far as reps and ease of movement

Snatch grip dl, 225x1x5, 275x2x3

Oly style DL 355x2x2

Everything strict/explosive

Tore up shin dropping one of the snatch grips so i cut it short to get cleaned up. Was planning on a bit more volume. Next time

Have you tried the ab wheel challenge yet?  30 seconds out - hold 30 seconds at full extension - 30 seconds back - be a nice finisher for you someday :)

I will give it a shot tomorrow instead of my morning plank routine.. usually do 3min right after waking up, helps get my day going. Thanks Chris ill let you know how it goes.