Volume Training Injury

chins

Hi folks.

I tried this routine and now biceps dumbbell curls hurt my left elbow/forearm. I did not feel any pain while doing the routine and took a two week break.

Here's the routine. 5 days cycle - 3 days on then 2 days off. Two cycles with each gripper from CoC 0.5 up to 2. 8 weeks total. Each exercise day, warm up then 3 sets of max micro-reps (just clicking the handles as fast and many as I can).

The idea was to get the last part of the close stronger. I'm new to gripping, just got all the toys this fall. Any clue as to what might be wrong? I'm very puzzled by the fact the pain came after I took a break.

Sometimes there is a creeping pain that may not show up until the next day. I don't know what physiologically happens but it's happened to me before when I jacked the volume beyond what I know I should have done for the day. The best advice that I can give is that if you are going to go the high volume route is to begin with a moderate amount and over a period of weeks ramp up the volume... then cycle back. Make haste cautiously.

You are just not used to gripper volume. When I first started messing around with grippers I got bad pain in my hand after a few weeks. Just wait until you feel good and start a different program. I re started with the RRBT program with good results so maybe try that.

+1 what Rich said. There are is a lot of soft tissue adaptation that goes on, and it's best to be careful with volume and intensity starting out.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

+1 what Rich said. There are is a lot of soft tissue adaptation that goes on, and it's best to be careful with volume and intensity starting out.

+1 as well. When I first got my grippers, it wasnt my fingers that fatigued first, it was the soft tissue on the palms that had to adapt. Take it slow and the gains will come.

• 1 month later...

Finally recovered... I don't believe how much time it took. But I figured that the problem was with doing weighted chin-ups with close grip. Once I eliminated this variation from my back routines, I started to get better.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally recovered... I don't believe how much time it took. But I figured that the problem was with doing weighted chin-ups with close grip. Once I eliminated this variation from my back routines, I started to get better.

Nice to read of someone working on a good program for them and adapting to get stronger