Bending Routine Question

GrassMaine89

My name is Josh and I live in rural Maine. I am not a frequent poster but I am a frequent lurker. I have been interested in feats of grip strength (mostly crush, bending, and rolling thunder) since high school (currently 25 years old).

Now for my real reason for posting. I work as a Children's Residential Counselor. I work with children with often severe abuse histories, behavioral problems, and often times suicidality. I am currently working with a couple of residents who are very interested in grip and bending steel. I have four days in which to work with them, Sunday through Wednesday. Just an fyi, one kid is approximately 5'9 and weights around 160 or 170. On his first ever day bending he bent a yellow nail. The next time he bent he bent a blue nail. He has now bent numerous blue nails and is currently working on slaying a grade 5 1/4 X 6 bolt. This is a kid who has not been engaged in any other exercise besides maybe pushups and air squats in his room.

I am wondering if there is a way to work grippers and bending with these kids. Currently we have been bending on Sunday and Wednesday and working grippers all four days (negatives sometimes and strap holds on other days). I know this is a lot but I just wanted to ignite there passion for something other than negative coping skills, not to mention its nice to see young kids excited about something other than benching. Now that I have them hooked I'm wondering if there is a way for me to work there crushing grip strength and there bending with only four days a week. I do not have the time to work split sessions so my only options is a 1-2 hour workout sessions. Thank you guys very much for reading and any responses that I receive.

Josh

My name is Josh and I live in rural Maine. I am not a frequent poster but I am a frequent lurker. I have been interested in feats of grip strength (mostly crush, bending, and rolling thunder) since high school (currently 25 years old).

Now for my real reason for posting. I work as a Children's Residential Counselor. I work with children with often severe abuse histories, behavioral problems, and often times suicidality. I am currently working with a couple of residents who are very interested in grip and bending steel. I have four days in which to work with them, Sunday through Wednesday. Just an fyi, one kid is approximately 5'9 and weights around 160 or 170. On his first ever day bending he bent a yellow nail. The next time he bent he bent a blue nail. He has now bent numerous blue nails and is currently working on slaying a grade 5 1/4 X 6 bolt. This is a kid who has not been engaged in any other exercise besides maybe pushups and air squats in his room.

I am wondering if there is a way to work grippers and bending with these kids. Currently we have been bending on Sunday and Wednesday and working grippers all four days (negatives sometimes and strap holds on other days). I know this is a lot but I just wanted to ignite there passion for something other than negative coping skills, not to mention its nice to see young kids excited about something other than benching. Now that I have them hooked I'm wondering if there is a way for me to work there crushing grip strength and there bending with only four days a week. I do not have the time to work split sessions so my only options is a 1-2 hour workout sessions. Thank you guys very much for reading and any responses that I receive.

good man, i like your thinking. now, i'm no expert, but i imagine you would take it easy on a young boy, or girls hands and wrists. i think twice a week will suffice. not my idea, but all you need is a bucket of water and a towel. you can check it out online. regards, Dave here, Ireland. i hope you do well.

Dave,

Lol yeah it's a little much.....now that I have them dreaming big and working hard I am trying to be more sensible.I'm just not sure how to fit in both movements with only four consecutive days to work.Thanks for the feedback.

Josh

With assumption that training is only form of physical stress for them (no physical labour for example), i would do heaviest workouts in wednesdays since this gives three days for recovery. Sundays could be other heavy/semi heavy day following with two days of rest or sunday and monday light training and one day rest.

Are they doing any other exercises than grip and bending?

Maybe i should ad that these are only guidelines, personally i change things immediately if i feel so.

Edited by FJM

FJM,

Yes this is the only form of exercise for them besides going for walks and playing basketball. I like the idea of light early and then heavy on Wednesday. I was worried that bending and grip would be too much stress on the joints and tendons if compressed in a 4 day week. But your absolutely right if it isn't working I can switch up the routine. Thanks for the feedback.

Josh

Edited by GrassMaine89

I agree with the heaviest on Wednesday.

You should get some 60d nails since it's a classic feat of strength and let that young man have a go at it. They are usually - but not always - a little harder than a blue nail.

I'm sure anything you do will be most appreciated.

We did a volume day on Sunday so the blue nails were good. I picked up some 60 D nails and will have him give them a whirl tomorrow.